Disillusion
Gloria

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (58 Reviews)
June 12th, 2008 | 52 replies

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Once you get past the initial shock of this not being like Back To Times Of Splendor, an enjoyable listen awaits.

After 2004’s masterpiece, Back To Times Of Splendor, many metalheads were wondering what to expect from Disillusion’s upcoming album. Needless to say, after hearing their strong demo, their stronger EP and their superb full-length, expectations were high. But Disillusion, like so many other bands, pulled the middle-finger card and released something completely unexpected to the unsuspecting fans. The band received an incredible amount of criticism from fans. Accusations of “selling-out” were made, fans were lost and the world was left wondering what happened to Disillusion. Four years later, taking a step back, I can say this album isn’t as bad as the initial shock led me to believe.

Before I start the review I would just like to let everyone know I started off wanting to write a negative review for this but without constantly comparing this to Back To Times Of Splendor. This turned out to be much more difficult than I thought and after trying and trying, I got results. They weren’t the results I was expecting though. Nowhere near what I was expecting. After much trying, it became clear to me that the main reason I didn’t like the album was because it wasn’t a Back To Times Of Splendor part II and from that moment I started to appreciate the album for what it really is and found it to be a refreshing listen. It may not be as good as a Back To Times Of Splendor part II might have been but it holds up its own very well. My album rating for this shot up from a 2 to a 3.5 instantly.

Gloria is Disillusion saying goodbye to their progressive death metal days and going down a darker path in metal (note: by darker I do not mean evil sounding, I mean a path that hasn’t been explored much) by creating a progressive industrial metal album. Although creating a unique new sound and creating an entertaining listen, the sound on that album is far from flawless (and I apologize but some comparisons with Back To Times Of Splendor will be necessary here).

First of all lets start with Vurtox, the lead singer, which is undoubtedly the most unusual part of this album. Most of the singing of the album is spoken. Now many will dismiss this as hiding Vurtox’s amazing vocals talents shown on Back To Times Of Splendor and such songs like Too Many Broken Cease Fires but the spoken words give certain songs, such as Gloria a kind of groovy and almost poetic feel. BUT the technique is overused and ends up sounding out of place with the more upbeat guitar riffs of Dread It and Avalanche. Another significant change with the vocals is the frequent use of processing and effects. In moderation, such things can be used to add variety to an album’s sound but when overused (like on this album) they can often conceal emotions in the singing (this isn’t helped by the enormous amount of spoken words) and hide the singer’s beautiful singing voice. Not to say the whole album is unemotional. Vurtox beautifully shines through the processing on the first track; and on Too Many Broken Cease Fires, the only song that doesn’t include processing OR spoken words, features a great vocal performance * la Back To Times Of Splendor. Many other great vocal parts sprinkled here and there in between the spoken, processed parts provide healthy breaths of fresh air.

Once you get past the vocals, there isn’t much (if anything) stopping you from enjoying this album. The instrumentation on the album is well done. Upbeat guitar leads and heavy rhythms intertwine themselves with ambient keyboards or various sound samples, such as violin or operatic female singing, to create a full sound that varies between straightforward and ambient throughout the album. The riffs aren’t as complex as on their older material but still show a good deal on technical ability and sound great when mixed in with the other instruments and sound effects.

The drumming is pretty basic for the most part and creates a solid beat that fits with their new more industrial metal approach. Most beats aren’t very interesting and serve to provide a backbone to the rest of the instruments (although it is a very solid backbone). He does throw in a fair share of interesting fills that keeps his drumming somewhat interesting and shows some of the great talent displayed on their past album.

Gloria is probably the best example of a grower I have ever heard. Upon first impression it just seems as a giant step down from Back To Times Of Splendor in every way. But when given time to settle and once the original shock has passed, a very solid album with a unique sound is found. For all those that dismissed this album upon first listen (like I had done), I recommend you take it out of the deep, dusty end of your closet and give it one more spin. Just one. Try to get your mind as far away from everything else you’ve heard from this band. In fact, if you can, try to imagine a completely different band made this. If you succeed, chances are you will be spinning this many more times in the future.

Recommended Tracks
The Black Sea:The emotion that shines through the processed vocals is beautiful. Probably the heaviest song on the album. Great use of sound sampling in the pre-chorus.

Dread It: A nice combination of the more industrial elements with old Disillusion. Has a nice little up-beat lead riff.

Too Many Broken Cease Fires:Ahhhhh. A song with no spoken words or heavy vocal processing. Most reminiscent of their older material and most likely to please the older fans. The chorus is pretty catchy too.

Von Satanic Blood AngelAll Them Witches Lightning At The Door
Agalloch The Serpent and the SphereForteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe Légendes
Fuck the Facts AmerManeige Les Porches

June 12th 2008

This review was my hardest one yet mostly due to my change of opinions while reviewing.

Willie
June 12th 2008

I've been meaning to get this despite all the people telling me not to on their other review comments.

Edit: oh, and I liked the review too.This Message Edited On 06.12.08

Digging: Samael - Hegemony

1937 Comments

This album isn't terrible, as many would make out, but it is hopelessly outshined by BTTOS.

As for the review, not a huge fan of the format (it is well written though, no complaints there), if you want to improve I personally would recommend that you stray away from a paragraph for every instrument etc... (though you haven't done that, the drumming paragraph was unnecessary) and maybe try to incorporate this more fluently into the rest of the review.

Glad this got a review though, it needed one.

June 12th 2008

If you thinking of buying this then I'd highly recommend you download it first. Give it a few listens to sink in because, as mentionned in the review, this is a pretty bbig shock if uoi've only heard Back To Times Of Splendor.

June 12th 2008

Good review. I probaly won't check this out. Not too much of a fan of their previous album so yeah, nice review.

Digging: Root - The Book

June 12th 2008

Uhm… I saw you this morning when you were… ironing all the… all the… you know, all the stuff that we need.

For, uh, for ourselves.

You were cleansing it.

And I know it’s all... yeah I know it’s all important… uhm… the seam and all… and keeping the line straight of… whatever.

Anyway… what I wanted to say… what I wanted to say is…

Don’t go any further
A small portion of the lyrics to Don't Go Any Further. Yeah...

kattunlover69
June 12th 2008

tbh i really wanted to review this i got it two months ago and i couldnt get past avalanche for the love of me, even though that little doo de doo guitar riff was good the rest of the song...uhh.....

i put back to times back on

And lyrics from BTTOS:

"Was my heart one of a sparrow?

Caged in the prospects of disbeliefer's eyes

Was I lurking in my own shadow?

For a minute free of compromise."

"Thus, I write all this down for you to know I've been here

Close enough to almost feel your breath

Write this down for you to know

I've slept the sleep of restless hours

And when I woke, I left with knowing I would be back"

Another place where BTTOS outshines this really.This Message Edited On 06.12.08

I really like

"There is a road that I must travel

May it be paved or unseen

May I be hindered by a thousand stones

Still onward I'd crawl down on my knees"

From the title track on BTTOS.

Also The Black Sea is an amazing song. Ive been lsitening to it like crazy

June 12th 2008

good review, i might check this out
i give you a positive my friend ;)

June 12th 2008

IF you haven't heard any disillusion before go with Back To Times Of Splendor before this. That album is one of my top albums ever.

OK, will do. It better be good or I kill you lol ^^

1937 Comments

that's not strange at all...

June 12th 2008

well kill is probably a bit far ...

SHOOTME

nice review SCREAM!

June 12th 2008

It better be good or I kill you lol
How about...if you don't like it i will kill YOU? :p

June 18th 2008

I've listened to The Black Sea an incredible number of times since i started reviewing this. I actually love that song

July 17th 2008

"How about...if you don't like it i will kill YOU? "

Luckily you'll be able to avoid that ...as I loved it.

Yazz_Flute
October 1st 2008

Wow...this album is a huge downer considering that Back to Times of Splendor is like my favorite album ever. Maybe this will grow on me like it did you though.

Yazz_Flute
October 5th 2008

so yeah I guess this is a pretty enjoyable album for the most part, a lot of the riffs are really catchy.