Infernal Tenebra
The Essence Of Chaos

2.0
poor

by Simon Harris (SCREAM!) USER (57 Reviews)
May 28th, 2008 | 12 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Another day, another melodic death metal band.

The melodic death metal scene is huge. Nowadays, a band must try to be different if they hope to make it inside such a genre otherwise they will just get lost within the hundreds of other bands that just settled on playing the genre the easy, generic way.
So, do Infernal Tenebra manage to distinguish themselves within this ever growing genre? I think you can all tell by the rating that the answer is no. Unless they change the way they play their style, Infernal Tenebra will be doomed to join the countless metal bands that never made it because they never stood out.

What this band suffers most from is exactly that. They don’t try anything new. They settle on playing their style. They don’t try to perfect the style; they don’t try to push the limit. They just settle on sounding like a dozen other bands and end up putting together a bland album.

The singing on the album is very bland. The singer uses a mid-range raspy kind of scream and sticks to it the length of the album. He shows no emotion while singing and has a very small range which overall makes his voice very tiresome, almost to the point of being annoying by the end of the album. A very minimal amount of clean singing is used on the album(I believe it is only present at the beginning of Stealers of Life). The singer's clean voice sounds pretty good for the most part falters a bit near the end of the part.

The guitarist plays his instrument well but needs some work on the creativity level. Although he churns out many fast, melodic riffs throughout the album, a few places left me wondering if I had heard this somewhere else before. Since there is just one guitarist the album is always divided between just lead guitar or just rhythm guitar. Many of the leads sound empty and don’t hold the crushing power most metalheads crave. The guitarist still has his moments. The title track does not suffer at all from having only one guitar and the album has a few memorable riffs sprinkled here and there.

The drumming on the album is solid but barely. He keeps time very well but has almost no originality whatsoever. He relies on playing fast and including lots of blast beats like too many drummers in today’s metal scene. You won’t find ANY interesting fills or beats on this album.

The production on the album is pretty good considering the band is still unsigned. Everything is clearly audible(except the bass of course) but still keeping a slightly gritty sound. Pretty fitting for the style they play. One of the best parts of the album.

Overall, for a new band, Infernal Tenebra show some potential but they need to try harder with their music and take some risks. A second guitarist is a must to make their music sound stronger and fuller and a new member could also bring new ideas to help push this band in a new, more original direction.

People that are just getting into the genre could very well enjoy this because it stays well within the confines of the genre and doesn’t try anything to be different. But to seasoned listeners this will just come off as another generic, disposable melodic death metal band.

All Them Witches Lightning At The DoorAgalloch The Serpent and the Sphere
Forteresse / Chasse-Galerie / Monarque / Csejthe LégendesFuck the Facts Amer
Maneige Les PorchesDark Castle Spirited Migration
poor

May 28th 2008

Album can be downloaded in .rar format from their website:

Digging: Svartidau?i - Flesh Cathedral

SHOOTME
May 28th 2008

Another fantastic review SCREAM!, I wish I could write reviews this well.

May 28th 2008

Good review but since this is melodic death, i'll check it out regardless. Sounds better than the new Dark Age album which i'm sure this is better then.

May 28th 2008

Another fantastic review SCREAM!, I wish I could write reviews this well.
Thanks i really appreciate it. I jsut looked at your review and for a first one its very good. A lot better than my first was.

Suit yourself, but you've been warned

SHOOTME
May 28th 2008

This sounds really generic, and yet I still want to check it out...

But I must keep listening to Clipse...

foreverendeared
May 28th 2008

The singing on the album is very bland. The singer uses a mid-range raspy kind of scream and sticks to it the lenght of the album. He shows no emotion while singing and has a very small range which overall makes his voice very tiresome

this is the main reason i'll stay away from this. i can't really stand vocals that have no emotion and keep the same range throughout.
by the way there are several misspelled words throughout the review. one of them is quoted in this comment. other than that great review

Odal
May 28th 2008

Good review. I won't check this out as I really don't like Melodic Death except for a few bands (Amon Amarth, Dark Tranquility, Be'lakor, etc.) I hate how stagnant the genre is these days.

May 28th 2008

Found a few of them (including the one in the quote).

I hate how stagnant the genre is these days.
This band is pretty much the perfect example for that statement

edit: Id also like to mention that this is my first negative review so any pointers are welcome tooThis Message Edited On 05.28.08

beans
May 28th 2008

good review, i heard one song from these guys and it did sound very samey
kinda like been there heard that
but maybe ill take a more devoted listen later and make a rating based on that

rasputin
May 28th 2008

Good review. I'm unfortunately aware of how bad melo-death can be, so I'll pass this up if I ever come across it.

May 29th 2008

I thought at least one person would've checked this out even though i said it was bad :/ The link's there, it's free

Remembrance
May 30th 2008

Downloading this now Scream. Will probably give it a listen tonight seeing as i am busy right now.