Wendy Carlos
Switched-On Bach

by Chewbacca USER (32 Reviews)
June 23rd, 2005 | 5 replies | 3,019 views

Release Date: 1968 | Tracklist

Classical music and, well..electronica. At first, this combination doesn't strike people as something that would turn out well. Actually, Switched-On Bach is the best "novelty" record I have ever heard. I'm not quite sure when this was released, but from whta I can tell, it was released in 1968.

The performer, programmer, etc. is Wendy Carlos. With her only tool being a Moog synthesizer, very different to the ones to day. She had to painstakingly program the Moog and play all of the songs note for note. Compared to what people can do with a synthesizer in the present, this is mere child's play. But, for then, it was a somewhat weird, yet astonishing accomplishment to have one person playing all of the instruments on one instrument, and still make is sound viable as a record that could stand on its own.

When I put this record on our turntable, I get the feeling that I shouldn't like this. I do. The album itself seems retro, with blurps and bleeps and all other noises a Moog can create. Sure, it sounds somewhat dated. Actually, it sounds very dated. The thing is, though, it's good that it sounds dated. It's a point in history where electronica seemed to have been created, almost ironically, by classical music. The music itself is very enjoyable, and shows the genius of Bach and Carlos. If you don't like or enjoy synthesizers or electronic music, you may want to stay away. Fans of classical music may also be interest..actually, I think that any music enthusiast should own a copy of this, for it's relevance to musi cof the past and presence.

The songs themselves are all fantastic, but my favorite would definately have to be "Wachet Auf", which seems almost playful and childish to me. Overrall, this is an excellent album, despite sounding dated. It isn't for everyone, though.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor F#A# (Infinity)Animal Collective Feels
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah Clap Your Hands Say YeahSonic Youth Washing Machine
My Bloody Valentine LovelessModest Mouse Good News for People Who Love Bad News
The Human Language (1)
an utterly dreadful deluge of electrical fluid rendered upon the air...

Iai
June 23rd 2005

I've heard parts of this album, actually. It's not bad, but it does sound dated.

The artist should really be Wendy Carlos (maybe Walter Carlos - she had a sex change). She also did the soundtrack to Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange, and The Shining.

You're correct about the 1968 release date.This Message Edited On 06.23.05

June 23rd 2005

Oh. I was thinking about that, but for some reason I just thought I would put J.S. Bach...

morrissey
June 24th 2005

Sounds pretty wicked, I'd love to check it out.

December 17th 2005

I still think that this needs to be featured. I could write a better review, if it were to be.This Message Edited On 12.17.05

June 3rd 2006

Why this doesn't get any love, I don't know. Still needs a better review.