Straylight Run
Straylight Run

by USER (43 Reviews)
June 10th, 2005 | 33 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

After the absence of John Nolan and Shaun Copper to "emo" superstars Taking Back Sunday, many were wondering if the scene would ever see their faces again. Luckily, in 2004, the ex-TBS members hooked up with drummer Will Noon and John's sister and pianist Michelle Nolan, and formed the indie band Straylight Run

After a 6 song demo was put on the internet, fans of the previously mentioned band were getting more and more hyped for the debut CD from the foursome. Victory Records agreed to carry it out, and in October, Straylight Run released this beast of an album

Perfect Ending Ė 8/10
An odd introduction to a CD, itís all piano-based with no percussion, bass or guitar. Johnís voice over Michelleís beautiful piano melodies fit like a puzzle, and sucks you in for nearly 5 minutes. I do think this track would be better placed near the back of the album because of its sad feeling, but nevertheless this is one hell of a song, and really sets you up for the album.

The Tension And The Terror Ė 7/10
Hereís where it starts getting more upbeat. The drumming is relatively fast over the top of piano chords and a running bassline. Johnís well-crafted lyrics go so well with the smooth music of the song, and the bridge really builds up momentum for the final round of the chorus with the guitar part.

Existentialism On Prom Night Ė 9/10
The single off the album, and with good reason. The entire song is a build-up, beginning with just piano, then drums and bass come in, and finally, a guitar riff is added to this to create one of the most beautiful songs of 2004 in my opinion. John kind of screams ďSing like you think no oneís listening/You would kill for this!" in the middle, with Michelle backing him up. Itís so well produced and written.

Another Word For Desperate Ė 7/10
A much more slowed down track here, the opening riff is slightly depressing and has an eerie sad feel to it as if someone just died. The verses are very long, and kinda drag on, although the lyrics are well written. The chorus is where it picks up again, with John and Michelle singing side by side again. Then the bridge again picks up in tempo and volume, and we break away from the ďdown" feeling of the song for a few seconds.

Mistakes We Knew We Were Making Ė 6/10
The demo of this song was amazing; one of the best of the 6, but this seems to be a little over-produced. The effects in the opening music donít fit very well for me. Johnís singing seems to pick up a few points, but really this isnít one of the better songs on the album.

Dignity And Money Ė 8/10
This is Johnís chance to get every bad experience with Taking Back Sunday off his chest. Previously called ďThe Machine Still Goes On", this song feels very upbeat again and the music and vocals fit perfectly again. The only gripe I have is the effects used on Johnís voice sometimes. Itís horrible, and puts me off the song a little.

Your Name Here (Sunrise Highway) Ė 9/10
A much calmer track after the last angst-ridden song, this song is about Jesse Lacey of Brand New, Johnís best friend. The music is very slow but well polished and put together. Johnís vocals are great as usual, and in the chorus he sings lyrics with directions to his old apartment! This song has been compared as regret to TBSís ďThereís No ĎIí In Team", but nevertheless this is one of the high points of the record.

Tool Sheds And Hot Tubs Ė 9/10
Woah, this is different! Possibly the fastest song on the album, it uses a very dance feel to it! And Michelle sings lead in this song. She also wrote the lyrics, apparently about Adam Lazarra of TBS (Who she had a relationship with, but he cheated on her). The song has a real pop feel to it; the piano melodies are furious, they use a drum machine I believe and the guitar has an ďover-produced" feel to it. One of my favourites purely because itís different and still amazing.

Itís For The Best Ė 7/10
Here we have another typical Straylight song, filled with average drum beats, smooth basslines and well-crafted piano melodies. The vocals drag on a little in some places, like at the end of some chorusí, but overall the song is good. The way itís sung in places is great, as it changes a lot.

Now Itís Done Ė 8/10
This is Michelleís second and last song, and in effect itís her own ballad. Using a dark tone in both the chords used and her voice, the track has an eerie feel overcasting it. Michelleís voice goes so well with the overall tone of the song, and gets a little cheerier in the chorus, which still has that dark feel to it. Itís slower than her last song, and is her best in my opinion

Sympathy For The Martyr Ė 9/10
A perfect way to finish off the album, we are treated to 5 minutes of pure lyrical genius. The bridge lyrics ďA laundry list of problems doesn't make you interesting/and never getting help doesn't make you brave" are beautiful. The music in this song is standard throughout the record, but the vocals just make this song for me. It ends with about 2 minutes of ďBa ba ba da da da da", which drags out a little but slowly the instruments disappear and it just sounds so harmonic.

This CD was one of the most anticipated of 2004 in the indie/pop punk scene, with many people holding their breath after the 6 song demo. I personally think this album delivered, although some will say it was over-produced and the songs from the demos were ruined.

The music in this album just sounds spectacular. I especially love Michelleís piano melodies, they are both amazingly played and well written as well, and they fit so perfectly with Johnís slowed-down guitar parts, Willís simple drum beats and Shaunís funky basslines

I love this CD, and I canít believe it hasnít been reviewed yet. But hereís mine.

Recommended Tracks
- Existentialism On Prom Night
- Your Name Here (Sunrise Highway)
- Tool Sheds And Hot Tubs

Hatshepsut (3)

Adam Downer STAFF (4)

woofwoofwoof
June 10th 2005

more banal boring teenage pop music. ick.

Happymeal
June 11th 2005

I like some of the songs here, but some I found really weak(Tool Sheds and Hot Tubs). I would've liked it more if it had "A Slow Descent" included.

SpecialBoy
June 12th 2005

Oh dear.

SmileEmptySoul227
June 26th 2005

this cd was really slow. but awsome song, Existentialism on promnight

captain chris
July 5th 2005

Except form Existentialism on Promnight, this album was as appealling as an asmatic ant with some heavy shopping.

my good chums

Society Sellout
July 5th 2005

Wow to the comments above :/... I really liked this album. Kinda funny about the review though cause I pretty much liked all the songs you rated low, It's for the Best and Another Word for Desperate, and didn't like some of the ones you rated high, Tool Sheds and Hot Tubs.

Maybe I just like this album because I think Acoustic guitar+piano+good bass lines= beautiful music :P.

Berserker!
July 5th 2005

This album isn't emo, that's why everyone's so pissed.

July 15th 2005

I dont like emo, but this is the perfect emo for me. Less whiny, more beauty. I can sit back and enjoy the good songs on tis album, though the album is not something I'd listen to straight through on a long car trip. Highlights are Existensianalism (or however u spell it), Perfect Ending, Tension, Desperate. But i didnt much care for Dignity or Sunrise Highway.

rkdrummer216
August 15th 2005

I really like this album, and I can't say I like anything else that even remotely resembles Straylight's style. They do something slightly different on each song, and I really think it works well.

And yes, the "laundry list of problems" lyrics are genius. Good review. :-)

Bchop13
August 24th 2005

This Is A Very Good Album

walrusmanwars
September 10th 2005

I like S.R. because they actually play music. This is the cd I listen to if I just want something mellow to listen to. They're awesome to see live as well.

September 10th 2005

Wow I listened to Sympathy for the Martyr for the first time a week ago, and i was blown away. Its quite possibly the most beautiful song ive ever heard. Straylight Run is a smart, genius, fantastic band. Welcome to good music pepole.

Arrakakaka
October 4th 2005

MusicOfficial101, don't get emo confused with indie or indie pop, please..

October 4th 2005

Pardon me, indie, not that it makes too much of a difference.

Sendor
October 5th 2005

One major flaw with the review. John plays the piano for SR, not michelle, michelle does the guitars. other than that, not too bad.

NotUntilTomorrowsBassist
November 16th 2005

the tension and the terror was deffinatly the best song on the album,the rest is good for a sad day.

bassman963
September 20th 2006

I remember how fascinated I was with Existensialism, so I bought the record and didn't really like any of it at all. Nice review btw.

TheMisterBungle