Wings
Band on the Run

by Muddy Hendrix USER (8 Reviews)
June 8th, 2005 | 13 replies | 10,025 views

Release Date: 1973 | Tracklist

Best Album of The Year by Rolling Stone in 1973

Band On The Run kept up the pace of Paul McCartney�s post-beatles career.
This is Paul�s fifth album, and third with Wings.
Wings is comprised of his wife Linda and guitarist/singer Denny Laine.
Those of you that are aware of BOTR know all of the mishaps and nightmares that went along with the release and production of this seminal recording.
*The Following Excerpt is from the booklet included in the 25th Anniversary Edition Of Band On The Run. By Mark Lewisohn.
*��Wings had latterly established a pattern of recording in London principally at the EMI studios at Abbey Road. Being an international company, however, EMI had studio operations in a number of countries; seeking somewhere new to work, by way of a change from Abbey Road, Paul asked EMI to let him know where Wings could record in the company�s own studios. The list included Bombay, Rio de Janeiro, and Lagos.
Paul envisaged lying on the beach of Lagos all day, doing nothing, and recording at night. But as he noted dryly later �it didn�t turn out like that�. later �it didn�t turn out like that�. The McCartney�s didn�t know that Nigeria was run by a gun-happy government, the result of a coup seven years earlier. They didn�t know that, while Nigeria was a member of the British Commonwealth, the first thing they�d see at the airport was men wielding machine guns, that lepers walked the streets, that even the capital city had open drainage, that few things functioned there-officially or unofficially- without generous palm-greasing. Perhaps they also didn�t know that they would be arriving in Nigeria towards the end of its rainy season, when the heat and humidity were at their most intolerable for westerners and the Lagos rain fell in monsoon-like torrents. They were almost certainly unaware that, before leaving England, they�d have to be given inoculation after inoculation to prevent the risk of catching cholera, typhoid, polio, and sundry other ghastlies.� This was only one of Wings problems while recording BOTR (they also had the project�s demos stolen by armed bandits). Never the less this album is momentous in Paul McCartney�s career. If you like mostly any Beatles albums you�ll love this.
The album begins with the chart-topping title track. �Band on the Run� is a classic McCartney song within a song composition. It begins slowly but begins to pick up momentum the moment McCartney says �Well the rain exploded with a might crash�.
The next song �Jet� doesn�t make much sense, but man, is it a cool song, and besides most rock doesn�t make sense. This album contains only ten songs and one would be capable of listening to it in one sitting, which is good and bad, when the album ends the listener feels satisfied but with that lingering feeling of incompleteness. That void is filled though with the second disc (there is a second disc only on the 25th Anniversary Edition) with voices of Linda McCartney, Paul, Dustin Hoffman (Dustin Hoffman encouraged Paul to write �Picasso�s Last Words -Drink to Me�) and also some unreleased versions of some Band On the Run tracks. I give this album a five simply because of its impact.

Coldplay Brothers & SistersJoe Walsh But Seriously Folks....
Bob Dylan Another Side of Bob DylanRobert Johnson King of the Delta Blues Singers Vol. 2
Blind Boys of Alabama Atom BombBuddy Miles The best of Buddy Miles

morrissey
June 8th 2005

While I love this album, it is by every aspect absolutely not a 5 star album. Certainly not due to its "impact".

Badmoon
June 8th 2005

I really like this album. Nice review also.

Muddy Hendrix
June 8th 2005

When I said "impact" I meant the impact it had on Paul McCartney's career. It really showed everyone that he could play good music without John,George, and Ringo. Or at least thats what I think.

Edit:Even though this wasn't McCartney's first solo album, this was his first solo album where he couldn't just "fall back on" The Beatles.This Message Edited On 06.08.05

beatlefan1
September 20th 2005

Rock on! band on the run is one of the greatest albums of all time! Sa rock en salle!

NuMetalMania
December 29th 2005

Some great tracks of this album from one of the worlds best muso's. Well done on the review. 4.5

Hattir
July 25th 2006

This is an excellent record, and the title track is sheer brilliance.

Bfhurricane
January 9th 2007

Quite an excellent album. Band on the Run is an exceptional song, easily one of my favorite classic rock tracks ever

morrissey
January 9th 2007

I don't know I thought McCartney was solid and Ram was fantastic, but that's just personal perception, I don't know if those records impressed people at the time or not. Then again they weren't Wings albums.

I've never liked Wings as an albums band. They had some damn good songs but no album I can laud, even if they were really popular like Venus and Mars and London Town. They had some great songs over the years, including on this record but half of it is just not impressive.This Message Edited On 01.09.07This Message Edited On 01.09.07

WarAllTheTime988
July 30th 2009

"I thought the only lonely place was on the moon".

Ire
April 21st 2013

mom jams

mrtomey
July 23rd 2013

Band on the Run is a great example to show how diverse Paul McCartney is as a musician.

mark7477
November 2nd 2013

I'm only a sampler when it comes to band like the wings but I must say this album has it's share of some pretty good songs even the obscure shit ain't half bad either LOL it's probably one of the best things or if not the best they've ever done.

Chrisjon89
July 20th 2014

meh lyrics but always loved Bluebird so much

Digging: Ichiko Aoba - 0%