Moonspell
The Antidote

by blacksails USER (1 Reviews)
January 14th, 2005 | 8 replies | 8,642 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

This is a review I wrote for [url]http://www.riftrock.com[/url]. Go there for more awesome reviews on every type of rock music. Also for artist news, tour info, show reviews, interviews, band features and more.

The Band:
Fernando Ribeiro - vocals
Ricardo Amorim - guitars
Pedro Paixao - synths & samplers
Mike Gaspar – drums

The Review:
Moonspell unleashes a fast jolt of caustic and over bearing thrash on their latest release “Antidote." With the album’s opener, “In and Above Men," the band does not display the type of diversity from band in the all powerful metal label Century Media. Quickly, as the second track, “From Lowering Skies" begins; Moonspell shows the great diversified talent they have to offer to the scene of metal.

The band shreds through ten unique tracks of pure heavy metal, adding interesting unique touches to liven up each track and make it a memorable song; whether it’s by adding a catchy beat or fascinating lyrics, Moonspell are successful with their style, and not in a bad way as most bands that attempt to do this end up like, but in a very interesting, pleasant, and perfect manner.

While “The Antidote" is most definitely not for everyone, Moonspell has definitely created a piece of work that will easily impress the average headbanger. And although none of their tracks are full-blown headbanging works, Moonspell still finds enough space within each of the tracks to bring on the heaviness.

The album begins on a vicious rampage and then slowly transitions into a melodic heavy metal album. The CD’s end tracks “Crystal Gazing" and “As We Eternally Sleep On It" perfectly conclude Moonspell’s impressive seventh release. “The Antidote" is a wonderful journey through all aspects of the realm of heavy metal, incorporating a barrel full of intriguing elements and one great vocalist (Fernando Ribeiro) to create one of this year’s ultimate metal works.

Outstanding tracks include:

[url]http://www.moonspell.com[/url]

Written by Ashley Munno

TheEncroachingDarkness
June 25th 2005

Hmmm...Not that great of a review but yeah, I like the album pretty well although I like Darkness and Hope better. Fernando is one of favorite vocalists. I'll give the album 7.5/10 because I hated Lunar Still and a couple other tracks were kinda weak in my opinion. I really love Crystal Gazing, In And Above Men, and Capricorn At Her Feet Though.

SonnePT
July 22nd 2005

I think this album, is the best since Wolfheart and Irreligious.

There's a great drum work in this album and songs like "From Lowering Skies", "In And Above Man", "The Southern Deathstyle" or even the single "Everything Invaded" are just true metal power

Wizard
January 29th 2008

What a great album to listen to if your not in the mood for black metal, but still want something nice to rock out to and yet still have a great atmosphere.

Digging: Triptykon - Melana Chasmata

fireaboveicebelow
February 2nd 2009

the new dvd is awesome just sayin

rasputin
February 2nd 2009

EVERYTHINNNNG INVADDDDEEED

I heard that song before I was really into extreme metal, and it literally blew me away. Ribeiro's vocals are so intense.

Se2ondComing
December 16th 2009

the production is remarkable. great album. classic

Hawks
August 12th 2010

Downloading this now. Been wanting to hear this one for a long time to see how it compares to Night Eternal and Memorial.

InFlamesWeThrash666