McLusky
The Difference Between Me and You...

by Andrew H. EMERITUS
May 11th, 2005 | 10 replies | 4,891 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Welsh trio McLusky released what would be their final album in 2004. With their off kilter, but nonetheless hilarious sense of humour, their silly lyrics and song titles and their unique brand of indie punk rock, McLusky fans knew what they were getting and "The Difference Between Me and You Is That I'm Not On Fire" is almost Mclusky's best album yet, coming in close to "McLusky Do Dallas".

McLusky:

Andy Falkous - Vocals, Guitar
Jonathon Chapelle - Bass
Jack Eggleston - Drums

Working in the studio with Steve Albini, McLusky have created an extremely well done, yet rough album. It is the album's roughness that makes it so great in fact. Kicking off with arguably the album's best song (and arguably the best song title), "Without MSG I am Nothing", the album kicks arse right from the start. The music on the album recalls bands such as Pavement, the Pixies, Wire and Jesus Lizard. The most enjoyable thing about the album is the distorted and grungy, yet catchy basslines being played over Andy Falkous' half screaming half singing voice. No one ever expected McLusky to make a serious album, but this one is definitely more serious than the pervious releases of "My Pain and Sadness Is More Sad and Painful Than Yours" and "McLusky Do Dallas". But when the listener plays "The Difference..." and sees song titles such as "Your Children Are Waiting For You To Die" and "Icarus Smicarus", they realise that there is little in the way of seriousness to be found in this band. McLusky write some of the most hilarious and clever lyrics out there. With an already great reputation for this talent (with such sidesplitting lyrics as "your mother is a ballpoint pen thief" and "fu*k this band cos' they swear too much"), McLusky keep this talent in regular use ("you aren't the only one who has no trousers on", not the best example, but there are great one liners throughout).

The musicianship of this band is nothing to write home about, but then again, they record with Steve Albini and sound much like a punk band. The guitar parts, while not at all complex are extremely cool with songs such as the opener, where the tone is a mix of an Arab instrument and a telephone. The bass parts are, musically the highlight of the album with their distorted tone and chugging but lazy sounds. The vocals are also great, especially when they are lightly distorted. Overall, this album is a great piece of fun, though not as good as it's predecessor, has a much better title and is almost as funny. It is a step up in the band's maturity, although maturity is not what the average listener would buy a McLusky album for. Coming in as McLusky's second best album, "The Difference Between Me and You Is That I'm Not On Fire" is a great album and maybe one of the best off 2004. The production is possibly the best part of the album and more than sounding like a recorded piece of work, this record sounds like McLusky destroying a studio.

Pros

- Comedy
- Fun and cool sounds
- Great vocals

Cons

- The listener may find themselves wishing that the whole album was just fun and silly punk rock
- A bit too 'mature'
- Not as funny as the last album

Reccomended Tracks

White Suns Waking in the ReservoirPurplene Purplene
Quiet Steps Think AloudGrinderman Grinderman 2
Jakob DominionNorma Jean Meridional
Nick Morley (4.5)
Refined schizophrenia at its finest....

trending alt & indie albums

Here And Nowhere Else

Cope

St. Vincent

AM

cbmartinez
May 11th 2005

Awesome, I checked out this album because Happymeal told me they sounded a bit like Racebannon. I didn't think a band talked about in Alt/Indie could sound like Racebannon but these guys really kick a'ss. Awesome review.

br3ad_man
August 4th 2005

Bump, wicked disc

I_like_goats
September 3rd 2005

Murderous album!

Happymeal
September 3rd 2005

I haven't heard this one, but is it more mellow than Do Dallas(having listened to "Without MSG")? Offensive lyrics rule.

smokersdieyounger
October 20th 2006

I've got the single from this record and really like it, but haven't got this YET

cremdelacrem
March 17th 2011

Really fun album to listen to. Most def gets stuck in your head.
WAAAAAAAAAAAAA-WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!

greg84
March 17th 2011

I approve. Awesome experimental album!

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

November 12th 2013

i hope this goes as hard as mclusky does dallas

Digging: Kanye West - Late Registration

November 18th 2013

so fuckin filthy

November 24th 2013

idk if i like this or dallas more bc this is way more creative and each individual song are more unique but the riffs on dallas are unbeatable

why doesnt anyone else talk about these guys