Bob Dylan
Another Side Of Bob Dylan

by Muddy Hendrix USER (8 Reviews)
April 30th, 2005 | 14 replies | 12,910 views

Release Date: 1964 | Tracklist

Another Side of Bob Dylan. What does it really mean?
Clever title. Maybe. Truthful title. Maybe.
The first song 'All I Really Want to Do' answers this question.

I ain't lookin' to compete with you
Beat or cheat or mistreat you
Simplify you, classify you
Deny, defy or crucify you
All I really want to do
Is, baby, be friends with you

The answer:

Mr. Dylan isn't looking to do anything to you only to let you in through the door.

This other side of Bob Dylan that this album references to is the romantic side, the side that has its soul bared to the world, the side that wants to let you in and stay awhile, have some fun take off your shoes, and hang out.
Dylan is letting you in one at a time; you can see his soul here in its entirety.

This album isn't of the same type as "The Times They Are A-Changin'" or the songs aren't as pessimistic as "The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll" it's not cynical for the sake of being cynical.

It is more developed; the songs are more poetic, graceful and layered.
Both the lyrics and music have gotten deeper thus more heart wrenching and Dylan's trying more things -- this, in its construction and attitude, is hardly strictly folk, as it encompasses far more than that. To think of this album as mere folk, finite in every way, would make me have to admit you to a mental asylum.

This is the human spirit that everyone has except; Bob Dylan can put his human spirit, all his being, if you will, into his music. This music. This album especially.

This album will change you in a very deep way; only you have to listen to the music, all of it. If it doesn't change you, it is your loss, because to not be changed by this album is that person's own fault.

This is my favorite Dylan album. I give it a 5/5.

Thanks for your time.

Steven Berkowitz Reissue Producer
Didier C. Deutsch Tape Research
Sandy Speiser Cover Photo

Coldplay Brothers & SistersWings Band on the Run
Joe Walsh But Seriously Folks....Robert Johnson King of the Delta Blues Singers Vol. 2
Blind Boys of Alabama Atom BombBuddy Miles The best of Buddy Miles

December 29th 2005

I need this album. It Ain't Me, Babe is such a great song.

The review was a bit short, I thought.

cowboy angel blues
February 12th 2006

A (slightly) more thorough review:

1. All I Really Want to Do: FREAKIN' AWESOME.

2. Black Crow Blues: FREAKIN' AWESOME.

3. Spanish Harlem Incident: Containing one of Dylan's worst lines ever, but still REALLY REALLY GOOD.

4. Chimes of Freedom: Average for Dylan, but for anyone else this is PRETTY GREAT.

5. I Shall Be Free, No. 10: FREAKIN' AWESOME, just for that verse about Barry Goldwater. Funniest thing I've ever heard.

6. To Ramona: VERY EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL.

7. Motorpsycho Nitemare: The last lines are a fantastic punch line to an already hilarious joke of a song. REALLY REALLY GOOD.

8. My Back Pages: Unfortunately I like it less now than when I first heard it...the lyrics are kind of thick poetry, just like "Chimes of Freedom." Still, PRETTY GREAT.

9. I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Have Met): Oh my. This song will be in my head for the rest of my life. Aside from having completely awesome guitar and completely awesome harp, the lyrics/singing are an amazing mix of sad, funny, and FREAKIN' AWESOME.

10. Ballad in Plain D: If you're just listening, this song kinda drags a bit. But if you tune into the story, this is another VERY EXTREMELY BEAUTIFUL song.

11. It Ain't Me, Babe: This one almost makes me cry. It's one of the saddest songs I've ever heard. ULTRA SAD AND BEAUTIFUL, that's what it is.

June 19th 2006

A Little fact: Bob Dylan hated the title of this album, he felt it lacked subtlety.

September 8th 2006

I've just listened to this album, and Spanish Harlem Incident is really great...so catchy.

October 22nd 2006

The falsetto on All I Really Want To Do is just awful, godly songwriter or not. Good album, though.

January 3rd 2007

That falsetto is wonderful!

January 3rd 2007

It sounds like crap.

MusicReviewer44
April 10th 2009

I might pick this up tomorrow from the CD store down the block. I love "It Ain't Me Babe" and "My Back Pages".

WarAllTheTime988
March 24th 2010

Album needs more love for sure.

BigHans
May 24th 2011

I like how even he cracks up at how absurd All I really Want to Do is

OkAnimals
October 14th 2013

Is it a sin that I'm diggin this more than Freewheelin?

wacknizzle
October 14th 2013

11912 Comments

I haven't heard Freewheeling in a hot minute but I really love this album. Check out John Wesley Harding too, that album is so underrated, it's super chill and it got All Along The Watch Tower

Digging: Fall of Efrafa - Inle

JamieTwort
January 14th 2014

A LOVER FOR YOUR LIFE AN' NOTHING MOOOOORE

Digging: Benoit Pioulard - Hymnal Remixes

AllIsFineBitch
April 11th 2014

Album is fantastic...great variety and consistent quality throughout! Favorites vary but I'd say My Back Pages at the moment