Pavement
Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain

by Andrew H. EMERITUS
April 30th, 2005 | 408 replies

Release Date: 1994 | Tracklist

Pavement are innovators and leaders. No doubt about it. Being one of the first indie rock bands, Pavement were leaders of the underground. By the time they had gotten around to making "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain", the band had undergone a number of changes. They had make an effort to clean up their sound somewhat and had also changed their drummer, due to Gary Young being such a crazy man.

Pavement:

Stephen Malkamus - Guitar, Vocals
Scott Kannberg - Guitar, Vocals
Mark Ibold - Bass
Bob Nastanovich - Percussion
Steve West - Drums

Pavement's second album is possibly better than "Slanted and Enchanted" and if not, it is close. By the time Pavement got around to releasing a second record, they had already released a classic album with "Slanted and Enchanted". Pavement's sound on "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" is a lot cleaner than that of "Slanted and Enchanted", but is still by no means overproduced. One of the problems some listeners faced with "Slanted and Enchanted" was that the production was just far too hard for them to get past. Sure, Pavement had some incredible songs, but actually hearing them through the rawness of the album was another issue. Others would argue that the cleaner production of "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" takes away some of the mystery and charm of Pavement's debut. While "Slanted and Enchanted's" production may be a bit too messy and "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain's" production may be a tad clean, none of this can take away from the fact that both albums are full of incredible songs that deserve no less than the term 'classic'.

There are some truly great musical moments on this album. The jazzy piano in "5-4=Unity" is a particular noteworthy example. Or maybe the incredible guitar riff from "Elevate Me Later". Or the incredible guitar leads in "Filmore Jive". Of a particular greatness are the vocals. Obviously these guys aren't the greatest singer. But to find someone who suits this music better would be impossible. Being able to sound cool and convey the amount of emotion these guys do while still having your own style is a great skill. The drumming throughout is also excellent, particularly in the louder parts of "Filmore Jive".

"Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" is a non stop album of great songs. From start to finish, every song on it is great and different. Though a great 90s band such as Nirvana or Dinosaur Jr can release great albums, it takes just a bit more to create what Pavement create. While every song on the album is great, there are also no repeats. Every song has it's own flavour and each one is wonderful. Though every song is really good, the first three tracks open the album incredibly and "Filmore Jive" is an amazing way to close the album. Through having a great range of influences, Pavement are able to create a unique sound where every song sounds different, yet always sounds like Pavement. From the uplifting pop of "Elevate Me Later" to the jazzy "5-4=Unity" to the emotional "Stop Breathin'", "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain" does not have one bad moment. Every song will make the listener feel what the band felt.

A true classic of the 90s and a must own for any fan of Indie Rock. Pavement's second album is easily one of the best records of it's decade and a music fan would be hard pressed to find a better record than "Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain". A truly amazing album for so many reasons.

Pros

- Not one dud song
- Amazing emotionally, musically and in songwriting
- Excellent vocals

Cons

- A slightly rawer production may have been preferable to some listeners

Reccomended Tracks

Henry Miller (4.5)

Old Uncle Al (5)

Med57
April 30th 2005

Better than Slanted And Enchanted you say? That's interesting...I've always heard Slanted And Enchanted referred to as the band's masterpiece, and I went along with that as it didn't really occur to me that they actually could release a better album than it. You've definitely sold me on this though. :thumb: Typically good review, and I really like the way you're writing them now as well. I need to start making mine shorter. :-/

talk show host

Great review again

I adore this album. I can't say whether or not I prefer it to Slanted and Enchanted because I love them both.

I think i'm going to listen to this now.

Robert Crumb
April 30th 2005

Great review. I like the way you format.

I love Pavement and I love this album.

morrissey2
April 30th 2005

Awesome review as always though it doesn't need saying.

I don't want to pick favourites but this is a fantastic album.

April 30th 2005

hmm yeah. Personally for me, Crooked Rain is better than Slanted and Enchanted because of the clearer songs and I have a more personal connection to it. I can't say that it's better than Slanted and Enchanted objectively though. It's not that Crooked Rain is Pavement's masterpiece, it's only one of them.

MemoryMachine
May 2nd 2005

I like it better than Slanted and Enchanted, the melodies are just so much stronger. Its the easiest record to just put on and listen all the way through without worrying about having to skip tracks.

Range Life, Gold Soundz, Elevate Me Later and Filmore Jive are all classics of the moder indie-era.

May 3rd 2005

*sigh* reccomending tracks for this album was close to impossible.

pixiesfanyo
May 3rd 2005

The difference between Slanted And Enchanted and Crooked Rain is. Crooked Rain is purely Pavement, they take their infulences and change them into an original sound.

While Slanted And Enchanted is more of a ode to their heros.

In my opinion anyway.

They are both great albums, I prefer Crooked Rain more.

Great review as well.

Little Man being Erased
May 3rd 2005

Once again you have forced me into buying an album. This definitely sounds like something I would love. Thanks breddy.

May 5th 2005

No problem. Tell me how you like it.

masada
June 11th 2005

Great review. I've listened to most of this, and I must say, I absolutely adore the songs that I've heard.

Iai
June 11th 2005

This album just doesn't do it for me.

incubus62086
August 27th 2005

i really love this album, pavement is amazing

Desensitized
August 31st 2005

This album is possibly better than S&E.

The Fillmore Jive is one of the best songs of the 90s.

Great review, by the way.

pixiesfanyo
September 27th 2005

Newark Wilder is the best song ever written.

October 30th 2005

man oh man this cd is all that i like about music and more. the songwriting is equal to, if not better than, S&E and it definitly is among my top 10 of all time

The Jungler
January 30th 2006

I love this record, but i lost the second disc before i could load it on my computer.

Is it as good as the first one? worth buying the whole cd again?
or should i just let it go?

February 17th 2006