Reflux
The Illusion Of Democracy

by deat USER (1 Reviews)
April 15th, 2005 | 36 replies

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

A band with a very talented guitarist (Tosin Abasi), politically geared vocalist (Ash Avildsen), bassist - Evan Brewer - with major influences of Reggie and Victor Wooten in his playing and styles, and jazz fusion style drumming of Vinny Vinh. With such an uncommon combination of talents, it makes for one of the greatest metalcore albums I've heard in quite some time.

Above the pyramid and the eye

This song starts off with a heavy guitar, leading into heavy drumming, then leads into Ash's vocals. This song has great vocals and riffs. 4.5/5

Thoughts Dictate Reality

Taking a slowe edge in the beginning, adding a calmer mood for the album. Ash's initial singing is a welcome change to his equally good screams, with a lighter feel. Then it goes into great guitaring again, overall good song. 5/5

An Ode to the Evolution of Human Consciousness

Starting with a nice riff, it brings you slowly out of the mood that 'Thoughts Dictate Reality' brought you into. The first lyrical line is a very truthful quote from Gandhi – “An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." Which has a lot of meaning, as does the rest of Ash's writings. If you read the lyrics along side with Ash, it's quite an impressive song. So far, this album has no downsides. 4.5/5

The Sudden Realization

Adding in a sewer feeling, with dripping water, and a sort of manicidal guitar riff, it brings on a much darker mood than the past songs. Then comes the drums with a chinese chimes sound. Then it goes into lighter guitar compared to the other songs, and Ash singing. 4/5

...of What You Were Missing

Starting with a bluesy type feeling, it brings in Ash speaking a statement about politics semi-quietly. Then it builds to a smooth guitar and drums that fit perfectly with the rest of the song/instruments. Double bass is incredible in this song. 5/5

=[*]=

Sadly, my CD only plays about 7 seconds becase of (something). I'm not sure why, but unfortunately I cannot rate it. You'll just have to listen to it yourself. :) I can comment on the name, it's quite unique, and impossible to pronounce (haha). rating - N/A

Single File to Bliss

My favorite song off of the entire album. Starts off with slight guitar harmonics, and then Ash screaming. Builds for a minute to a face melting solo. The most impressive solo I've seen from any newer band in awhile. Near the end of a song is yet another great solo. 6/5

There's No Sunlight in My Cubicle

Again, unique name. Nothing out of the ordinary compared to the rest of the album, still a great song and just makes the album ---that--- much better. Begins with simple guitar, then bass comes in with a Cliff Burton like reminisance. 4/5

The Keats Persona

Drumming in this song is simply awesome. This is the main feature I'd like to point out with this song. guitar and singing are good too, but Vinny really stands out in here. 4.5/5

1984-2004

Guitar makes you feel "drunk" - for lack of a better word. It seems slurred, but it has quite an astounding speed to it. Basically only instrumental song. 4.5/5

Modern Day Babylon

Cool vocals in this song, which makes it stand out from the rest of the album, and brings it to a fantastic closing. About the middle of the song has a little speech on the government of today and what's being done. Must listen. 5/5

Overall this album ranks very high on my "awesome meter", but I'd love to hear =[*]=, which is making me very excited for another copy of the cd. I'd say if you enjoy metal, metalcore, and all related genres, you MUST check out this album! I can see htis band becoming huge in the future, much like another Pantera.

Overall 5/5

Thompson D. Gerhart STAFF (5)
An ode to the evolution of human music....

BuddyBigsby
April 16th 2005

Good band, but it HAD to be a track by track. Le sigh!

deat
April 16th 2005

My first review BuddyBigsy. Don't worry, I'm just trying to find my reviewing style. ;)

BuddyBigsby
April 16th 2005

Fair enough. As long as you're down for the Reflux.

blue criminal
April 16th 2005

I just seen these guys at a bar show, it was awesome. All the artists in this band are very talented

deat
April 18th 2005

mmm...^_^ what state are you in?

i may try to get tickets for their show in toronto on the 21st...not sure if I'll make it in time.

AsCitiesBurn672
January 28th 2006

this is one of the most amazing bands ive ever heard!

GuitaristPaul
February 18th 2006

I love this band. I saw them live last year and they were just amazing. I bought their cd right after that and I can't wait for their new album, whenever that will come out.

ekko
January 25th 2007

Reflux is one of the best new bands ever. I haven't had the privilage(?) of seeing them yet. Last I heard of them, they went back to Washington trying to record a new album or whatever. They need to come back down to Louisiana cause I really want to see them. Single File To Bliss is the best song hands down on the whole album, and may even be the best I've ever heard. I loooove the guitar riffs in this. Good good review dude. Very political too. Ah now I have to listen to them now XD

freelessness
July 30th 2007

The last news I got about these guys was that they broke up.. Extremely Unfortunate... Although, that statement wasn't quite evident when told to me. Rumors have have many faces.

AtomicWaste
July 2nd 2009

2029 Comments

Learned of the guitarist from some random twitspam, and he's actually extremely talented.

This CD is spectacular. I don't know what more can be said. Better than Animals as Leaders, in my opinion.

Digging: Damascus - When Last We Met

November 2nd 2009

TOSIN ABASI

sexpoi
December 3rd 2009

Animals as Leaders is probably one of the best shred albums I've ever heard. I love Tosin Abasi as a musician so I'm definitely checking this out

sexpoi
December 15th 2009

I was kind of upset after checking this out. I didn't expect it to be like Animals as Leaders but I also didn't expect the vocalist to be not very good. I also noticed that a lot of the time guitars seemed turned down compared to the vocalist. and the riffs were pretty technical but they weren't all that catchy imo

Phrike
October 24th 2010

Single File to Bliss is incredible

ffs
October 24th 2010

album rulz not sure what my favourite song is though

TheSpirit
December 18th 2010

Wow this is great

Digging: The Speed of Sound in Seawater - Red Version

wretchedreflections
March 12th 2011

i got this cd after listening to animals as leaders, expecting the same thing but with vocals. from that perspective it's actually a bit disappointing. with half a decade between the two projects, tosin abasi's guitar work has vastly improved since this band.

Ssssssss
May 21st 2011

lol at the band pic, tosin with the hair haha

TBliss