You and I
The Curtain Falls

by Nick Greer EMERITUS
March 22nd, 2005 | 42 replies | 18,893 views

Release Date: 1999 | Tracklist

For some reason, I've recently really been getting into bands that release LPs with lame run times (With Honor, You and I). I guess this trend proves that the stars that glow brightest die out the fastest. The Curtain Falls is an exercise in emo diversity. It seems like every instrument, interlude, and song has its moment dabbling in a different genre. On the first track alone, after a sampling of an old jazz track that reappears throughout the record, we get thrashed around from Gravity Records style dissonances in the guitar, to melodic post-hardcore, and from a pop punk drum beat to a grind guitar and drum pattern. This is all happening on top of a series of tempo/time shifts and a song structure that pretty much never repeats itself. Too much to handle? Certainly not.

You and I doesn't quite meander around genres and moods like The Mars Volta or jar you between them like Off Minor or Thrice, but more shifts properly and fluidly across the song. One guitar will introduce a poppy lead guitar riff on top of an otherwise brutal screamo section to transition to a poppier part. In turn, a screech can come in at the very end of a soft section to signal the appropriate approach of a huge breakdown. The end result is an amorphous blob of eclectic parts that form an amazing CD. I find myself drifting through the CD and not even realizing all that I've absorbed by the end. This unconscious intake of the CD yields a sweet result; often when I pay attention to a specific song I find myself bumping along to these somehow familiar parts, even when they sound completely fresh. This freshness exists almost every time I listen to the album. I feel that this derives not just from the fluidity of the parts but also from the originality of the album. The wide range and scope of the album doesn't cloy in any way and paradoxes often exist in the album. The fast, intense parts just make me happy because of the cool accompanying melody and the slow, brooding parts amp me up for whatever reason.

This LP has that x-factor, that can't quite be described but definitely imprints the songs onto my brain without making them seem stale. The technicality and production aren't as slick as that of similar bands like Hot Cross or The Fall of Troy but the feeling is there. You can hear the errors in the playing easily but it doesn't matter because the emotion trumps the need for deft musicianship. There are faults, but whore cares? This album exists in a special way, and everybody deserves at least one round with it.

Recommended Tracks: Tell me About Your Childhood, 143 (JCM)

You and I is...

Deftones Diamond EyesThrice Beggars
dredg The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusionmaudlin of the Well Part the Second
Mastodon Crack the SkyeTrophy Scars Bad Luck

March 22nd 2005

Wow, great review big D. Their songs are hit or miss with me, but I guess it depends on which era they're from. I'm trying to get my hands on this right now.

March 22nd 2005

Ya, sometimes I don't like it when it chugs but then they always resolve it to something that I prefer, so I don't really have problems with any one song. It's like listening to a diminished 7th chord by itself. Sometimes they sound just disgusting when smashed down. But, when you resolve every note perfectly into a consonnance, it all comes out beautifully. That's the way the bad part of You and I songs work out for me.

tornpictures
March 22nd 2005

I seriously hate it when hardcore records sound all slick and shit.
It sort of takes away half of the feeling of the music and, most importantly, the live show connection to the record.

March 22nd 2005

Ya, that's a great thing about this album; you can hear when they mess up. It makes the album much more human. Much more realistic.

March 26th 2005

hahahahahaahaha, what the f[font=verdana]u[/font]ck?

Is this some disgruntled kid you chewed up on the forums?

March 26th 2005

He wrote a really miserable review for Incubus' Morning View so I trashed him for it. That, and I may have also made a few put downs about how toolish his user name is.

But anyway, this CD is totally sweet. Does anybody know what the book the photodocuments the San Diego and Bay Area scene in the early 90s is called?

cbmartinez
March 26th 2005

I listened to the Discography yesterday. Sounded pretty bad.

March 28th 2005

Really? What songs have made you think this way? I only have one song from that CD and I love it. Hmmm.

cbmartinez
March 29th 2005

Don't remember to much, I'll give them another chance. Send me some on AIM.

March 29th 2005

I don't remember which songs, but some You and I I also find to be really bad, like almost subpar metalcore. And then some of it, like this, is great.

March 30th 2005

Weird. I want to hear these songs. Can you IM me and trade. This CD definitely prooves their worth and genre, so subpar metalcore is a very surprisingly thing to read.

syurix
June 12th 2005

Whatever theoretical promise emotional hardcore implies, this is the closest a record has come to fulfilling it. It's an unmatched feat of compositional density, covert tunefullness, and soul. Not schmaltzy soul either, the sort of emotional outpouring that creates a tension between how much the band wants you to feel and how fast you can feel it. This isn't simply a great record in it's genre, it's a great record in the cannon of rock and roll.

Sep
June 22nd 2005

The song 143 is incredible. Nice review too, Dfelon, I wouldn't mind adding this to my endless list of CDs to buy.

June 22nd 2005

There's also the possibility of you IMing me or YSI. But ya, buying good CDs is satisfying.

thefeller
July 24th 2005

i think that every cd listed under emo sucks, due to the fact that, well, emo music is simply a random assortment of wrist cutting, gay looking hair-in-eyes, pussies, putting their pathetic diaries into sad sounding little ditties for 13 year old girls. yes. i am an asshole. yes, i have too much time on my hands...but...........fuck you.

July 24th 2005

Well, I value your opinion even though you probably didn't read the review and definitely didn't listen to any of the songs.

Oh ya, you're banned.

Arrakakaka
March 7th 2006

Plus, he doesn't know a rat's scrotum about the genre and even what 'emo' stands for.

March 7th 2006

That too.

TheMisterBungle
March 14th 2007

Is this CD not included on the Discography CD?

March 14th 2007

Not included. This is the one thing not on it.

Iluvatar, only great? I've been thinking about bumping my rating up to superb myself.