Kraftwerk

Release Date: 1981 | Tracklist

Kraftwerk - Computer World

Online
[url=Kraftwerk's offical site]www.kraftwerk.com[/url]

Kraftwerk's "Computer World" is often considered to be their last great album. The album may not receive as much critical acclaim or praise as the group's masterpiece, "Autobahn", but it is a classic in it's own right. The album caught Kraftwerk at a time when their approach to music was starting to be accepted by a mainstream audience. As far as comparisons go, "Computer World" is best compared to an earlier effort, "The Man Machine".

Musically, "Computer World" displays many things that Kraftwerk are known for. Beeping and very obviously electronic rhythms. Slightly scary synthesised melodies. Catchy bass lines. Electronic vocals. The album was very experimental for it's time, sounding like early Aphex Twin, only 10 years earlier. The sounds go from happy and catchy ones too eerie "robots are going to take over the world" ones at the drop of a hat. Lyrically, the band focus on technology that was readily accessible at the time, rather than futuristic scenes. The songs are for the most part, shorter rather than longer, which is a good thing, as some electronic albums can just be far too long.

Kraftwerk were are one of the most important artists in music and not only are they important, their music is excellent. While "Computer World" isn't the most complex or thought provoking album, it is an excellent piece of Electronica, especially for it's time. There is not one weak song and very few standout moments as the whole album is excellent. Though not as groudbreaking or influential as "Autobahn", this is nearly at the same level. A near perfect record.

Pros

Fun and catchy
The occasional eerie melody gives it some diversity
Brilliant and groundbreaking for it's time

Cons

Some listeners may find it too short
Some may get bored

White Suns Waking in the ReservoirPurplene Purplene
Quiet Steps Think AloudGrinderman Grinderman 2
Jakob DominionNorma Jean Meridional
ThroneOfAgony (4.5)
A brilliant album created by one of the most famous electronic groups...

Tangy zizzle
February 15th 2005

I love kraftwerk, and they love me back.

Iai
April 4th 2005

This album is unique in Kraftwerk's catalogue, in that it actually shows its age. Whereas The Man-Machine still sounds futuristic, even a cursory, uninitiated listener could place a fairly accurate date on this.

It's still a very good album, but if I was to recommend Karftwerk albums to a newcomer, this would be the 4th one I'd mention.

morrissey
April 4th 2005

I'm a newcomer eager to hear some Kraftwerk. Which would you guys recommend as a starter album?

Good review as always br3ad man.

Iai
April 4th 2005

Personally, I'd say The Man-Machine is the best starter for almost everyone. Though Trans-Europa Express tends to be considered the most archetypal of their albums, and this is the most immediate and accessible.

With my knowledge of what you like in mind, I'd still say The Man Machine - it's pretty much responsible for the New Romantic movement.

br3ad_man
April 5th 2005

I'd say The Man-Machine also.

"Freshly Baked"
March 20th 2006

There prolly isnt an official stat on it, but i'd have to say the drumbeat from numbers is the most copied thing of all time. I cant tell you how many songs have that.

Zebra
August 21st 2006

I've only heard "Pocket Calculator" and it's crazy. It honestly sounds like the theme song for an old Atari game, the montone vocals and clicky synths are brilliant.

Yotimi

July 22nd 2011

Amazing

ExcentrifugalForz
August 16th 2014

the only music that will prevent the robot holocaust

Digging: Renaissance - Grandine il Vento

Friday13th
August 16th 2014

Computer World is great. Computer Looooove!

Digging: East of Eden - Mercator Projected