HORSE the band
R. Borlax

by Nick Greer EMERITUS
January 24th, 2005 | 83 replies | 23,312 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Disclaimer: I have written this review in the same way this album sounds. If my sentences are run on, grammatically incorrect, or just plain ol' retarded, understand that I did this in emulation.

Most people are probably thinking "Nintendocore?" Horse the Band created a new genre when they added synthesizer to hardcore music. Their sound ranges from pop metalcore to weird hardcore and almost nu-metal on one song. All of these styles though are made funkified by the presence of the synth though see.

Seven Tentacles and Eight Flames
This song owns and is definately my favorite on the album. The song starts off quickly and energetically and proceeds with a fun mini hardcore breakdown after the verse type thing where Nathan sings "I'm mesmerized." Then something amazing happens. The techno breakdown. There's no way to describe how perfect it is. Just listen. And dance. It starts all dancy but then the screaming and hardcore beat comes in and you're still dancing but then all of a sudden you're scissor kicking and !!!!!! is what happens. Anyway. The song sort of putters out in a comparatively boring way from there but it's still a good time the whole way through.

Cutsman
This song and its live-only counterpart "Cuntman" are awesome too. The intro is almost like energetic spped metal guitar tapping from the 80s but it's on keyboard. There's a massive breaking down with power metal rargh action on the yelling of "Cut" over and over, which blends into a nice melodic part, which owns as usual. The best part of HTB is when they have their style but then the keyboard shines through. The outro is cool too. They have a repeatd keyboarded chord thing but everything else is brutal. I love the poweglove. It's so bad.

In the Wake of the Bunt
This song starts with luscious melodic keyboard all alone and you know this is just too pretty like a meadow or babling brook so Horse the Band decides it's time for some spazcore. The melodic prettiness is sustained but everything else flips out. Listen carefully for cool guitar guitar in the background. The verse is wack though. Sort of nice alternative pop music gone horribly wrong. Then the ambient bass and whining guitar go! Oh who doesn't love it when the keyboard comes in on top yes yes yes! And the beat and singing. This part is a keeper. Horse the Band has such memorable breakdowns and subsequent buildups. There's been three in a row and you should all respect that. Then the metal comes back, which makes me sort of sad but the song ends mad scary on the screaming and ominous keyboard! Double bass like none other.
4.5/5

Kenny Pelts, Stabbers of the Knife
This song is just sort of screwy. It sounds like some weird tech spaz after a nu-metal bass intro but it's still tech. Then the verse is oddtime happy melodic on a spazzy beat. Then the beat picks up with some snappy palm muted guitar. Headbopping time as Nathan recites one word to each downbeat. Exciting on the pump up and then shizzam. Classic GUITAR RIFFS!
3/5

Bunnies
The single! Get ready for the madness of the bunnies. Pretty much this is the most accessible best first timer song. Just listen and know this is how Atreyu and Van Halen's love children wish they could be while playing a casio. Tapping guitar is synced with guitar and yes you love it so leave me alone now.

Purple
The intro is a sample from the lesbian scene from Mulholland Drive. Enough said.

Handsome Shoved His Gloves
This song is pretty upbeat and nicely teched sometimes. I didn't like this until I saw it live and knew how fun it could be. Yes that's right I've seen them live you must be jealous. I now have a shirt of a horse bucking off a cowboy that says "Horse the Band, Bitc." This is a catchy catchy song in a way different than Bunnies. You can sorta sing along at the chorus and all the parts are memorbale. It's a song that's written well aside from the nintendo elements, which is something songs like "In the Wake of the Bunt" aren't. Strong guitar here. There is that keyboard solo though. THROWDOWN NOW

The Immense Defecation of the Buntaluffigus
Fast. Concise. Awesome. The beat spills out after some spaz in an epic way but good thing this song is so varied and sort. This is the nintendo game your friend's little brother with ADD and ADHD played. It's still a good game but it's for little reatrded kids who eat too much sugar.

Pol's Voice
This song is okay. Nothing special. It relies on the nintendo too much. I wanted some more cor but the core parts were weak. Actually as I'm listening to this I take it all back because I'm having so much fun and it's still a good song. Just lay off that one keyboard riff please. Key changes are cool here too.

Big Blue's Violence
How does one end the most ridiculous genre creating CD ever? More ridiculouslessness is the only way you see. The song gets big and epic and the guitar take off after a mediocre to bad intro but then it gets all ambient and pretty with a cool robot talky voice only to end big again. Really big. There's more screaming. Suck me off now for I have shown you the light of this CD.
4/5

Yes. This CD is great. It's about a strong 4/5 good. It's not all tech or all crazy though. It's just plain old fun and i suggest it to fans of Every Time I Die, Hopesfall, and Chrono Trigger. Also be warned the tone of the singer's voice is not the prettiest. It's somewhat acquired but at least it's not whiny. Nathan has balls like none other.

Deftones Diamond EyesThrice Beggars
dredg The Pariah, The Parrot, The Delusionmaudlin of the Well Part the Second
Mastodon Crack the SkyeTrophy Scars Bad Luck

cbmartinez
January 24th 2005

"Cutsman" is such a spectacular and fun song. I would most definitely pick this up if I could find it. Good review.

Dancin' Man

eye heart this album.

January 24th 2005

cb, Tower records sells it. It's pretty popular these days.

Burial
January 24th 2005

considering it's been out mad long...surprised it took till now to get a review

January 25th 2005

I wrote this review a mad long time ago, as in, when the the CD came out, but it didn't get transferred to the new site, which pisses me off. Actually, only one of my reviews got transferred. Lame sauce.

Kingofdudes
January 25th 2005

I mosdef need to check out this band

-Gilmour

Sep
January 25th 2005

Cutsman is insane. Don't like the other songs they have on purevolume as much though...

Good review as usual.

cbmartinez
January 25th 2005

cb, Tower records sells it. It's pretty popular these days.

I don't think there are Tower Records in NJ.

January 25th 2005

Sam Goody is for nerds. And on the moon we spank nerds with moon rocks.

Shadows
January 25th 2005

These barnyard bastards sound interesting.

/me checks you out

/would rep you if we still had rep

January 26th 2005

There's no more rep? That's sad. I had never been repped before and it made me sad

Shadows
January 26th 2005

If there is, I've been missing it. Sputnik I'm pretty sure is repless. :sad:

I wish there was an edit button for our posts too. :mad:

March 21st 2005

Bahahaahha I'm a mod now so rep doesn't matter mwhahahaha.

-1up!-
August 17th 2005

On the plastic covering of the CD, it says "for those who like The Dillinger Escape Plan, The Locust, Reggie and the Full Effect, and for those who like old classics like Legend of Zelda, Mega Man, Metroid"

I lol'ed so hard when I saw that. Awesome band, which is pretty much impossible to classify. HORSE The Band is not hardcore really, HORSE The Band is just... HORSE The Band.

August 18th 2005

That statement becomes particularly true in the live setting. They're all over the place. Funniest live show I've ever seen.

sj_2150
November 19th 2005

this band is great. crazy and inventive! love the keyboards! they remind me of van halen only heavier

Zaine
November 19th 2005

i saw one of their live shows at the howell rec center and it was so awesome. there was so many emo kids and they were like "Emo kids, this one's for you" and they began playing "Cutsman" i though it was fantastic. their show was so crazy. i really got into these guys. and they classify themselves as "Nintendo Spazzcore"

November 19th 2005

Or as just "nintendocore" and it's all just a joke.

Aakon_Keetreh
November 26th 2005

lol this band is awsome

Music Nerd
January 29th 2006

I am going to get this album. I've heard so many good things about it, nice review.