Arghoslent
Hornets of the Pogrom

by Tyler Munro EMERITUS
May 17th, 2008 | 1660 replies | 58,057 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Riffs so good you'll forgive these guys for their highly intolerant ideologies.

Self-proclaimed ‘Riff-Supremacists’ Arghoslent have made a name for themselves with their racially intolerant yet strangely appealing brand of melodic death metal. Hornets of the Pogrom is the group’s third release and promises to be one of the strongest death meal outputs of the year.

To say that Arghoslent are unique would be selling them short. Beyond their racist and militant ideals sits an extremely unique blend of traditional metal and death metal, one that employs a perfectly executed Maiden-esque gallop as well as the guttural vocals of new vocalist The Genocider, who makes his debut on this album replacing the similar sounding but recently deceased Von Demonicus. In stern contrast to the group’s aggressively intolerant image and historically veiled hatemongering, Arghoslent play a relatively melodic brand of death metal, one that thankfully avoids the aphoristic “mellow” death tag and steers clear of the prototypical Swedish sound.

Though it begins with a mess of whammy-bar masturbation and less than organised chaos, album opener “In Coffles They Were Lead” sets itself into a mid-paced gallop that revolves almost entirely around an extravagant barrage of leads, excellently setting the pace for the rifftastic onslaught that’s set to carry out for the next 7 tracks. “Swill of the Knaves” borrows from the group’s black metal connection and makes wonderful use of tremolo picking, while the moody and dynamic instrumental title track bridges the gap between the almost east-Asian sounding “Oracle of the Malefic Rhizome” and the apocalyptic “The Grenadier”.

Lyrically, Hornets of the Pogrom is make-or-break, do or die. Or so you’d think. In reality, the lyrics are written in such a way that the underlying racist and nationalistic ideologies are relatively indiscernible. Barring the somewhat direct lyrics of “The Nubian Archer” (Born with genetic imperfections, the Nubian Archer unable to grasp the shortcomings of his brood) and a passage in “Swill of the Knaves” (Centuries of blood becomes erased, I am the white ghost), most of the lyrics on the album are going to go over the head of those without a strong grasp on history and language. Complaining about the lyrics would be an exercise in futility, as they’re not particularly significant.

Coming into the album you should certainly be aware of Arghoslent’s ideological standpoint, but you shouldn’t let it get to you. Don’t let a lyrically pedantic history lesson ruin the experience. Don’t see their views as anything more than attention getting. In the end, the band’s lyrical and ideological significance is grossly outweighed by the excellent guitar work, brutal yet intelligible vocals and calculated yet powerful drumming. If you agree with Arghoslent’s worldview that’s one thing, but if you ignore this album because you don’t, the Nazis win. Excellent addition to an already outstanding discography.

Masked Intruder Masked IntruderAtheist Jupiter
Aeon Path of FireAdam Haworth Stephens We Live on Cliffs
Autopsy The Tomb WithinOrbs Asleep Next to Science
someguest (4.5)
Engaging melodic death metal....

Nate B. (5)
Over forty minutes of aural genocide that will rouse us whites to take up arms for the good of our r...

March 31st 2008

Virginia not known for hate and intolerance lol

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

DWittisarockstar
March 31st 2008

[quote=review] When I think of anger, hate and intolerance, Virginia isn't exactly the first place that comes to mind.[/quote]
It does if you live here. Good review, but I couldn't get in to what I heard of this.

March 31st 2008

I dont live in the US I always thought it sounded like a place full of pussies idk ill fix it.

VIRGINIA IS FOR LOVERS OKAY

And this album fucking rules. The Nubian Archer is soooo good.

March 31st 2008

Virginia as a pretty lol past when it comes to that man.
Album wasn't memorable on first listen but I mean I'm going to listen to it again.

March 31st 2008

I fixed it there are you happy?

plane
March 31st 2008

I actually like this review a lot. I think informal was the way to go with this album. But yeah, this is so good.

March 31st 2008

Melodic death metal not known for hate and intolerance lol

Melodic*
Fine you stupid mean sons of bitches I'll fix it again.

March 31st 2008

There it's fixed leave me alone now.

March 31st 2008

Good review, sounds like it sounds good.

willfellmarsy
March 31st 2008

If you agree with Arghoslent's worldview that's one thing, but if you ignore this album because you don't, the Nazis win.

This sounds like a logical falacy but I used a same-ish line in a paper i wrote this year.
Another solid review from good ole Captain Kirk.
On another note...is the vocalist's actual name The Genocider? Because if that is the case i feel inclined to give this a listen.
"Melodic Hate-Mongering Death Metal" probably is the most metal genre out there.

i was being facetious
On another note...is the vocalist's actual name The Genocider?

They all go by aliases for obvious reason. The band is The Genocider, Holocausto and Pogrom. Not sure who the drummer is. The last known drummer went by Alienchrist.

willfellmarsy
March 31st 2008

I know you were being facetious old chap...as was I when I wrote the paper. Since you said their names were aliases thats means they are not their legal names?

i was being facetious

You say this quite a lot

No I don't.

Yes it isn't.This Message Edited On 03.31.08

March 31st 2008

That aside, are there any bands you could label as similar? I've already established they aren't like Swedish death metal, but I need some motivation for me to get this.

March 31st 2008

There are zero bands that sound like Arghoslent.

tsk, ok.