The National
Cherry Tree

by jon miller USER (5 Reviews)
February 24th, 2008 | 32 replies | 15,708 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: An introduction to The National as you know them and show the transition from Sad Songs For Dirty Lovers to Alligator wasn't that fast and immediate.

111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaa aaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaa aaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaa aaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa11 1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaa aa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaa aaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaa aaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111a aaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaa aaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaa aaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaa aaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa11 1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaa aa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaa aaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaa aaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111a aaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaa aaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaa aaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaa aaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa11 1aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaa aa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaa aaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaa aaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111a aaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa 111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaaaaaa111aaaaaaaaaaa aaaa

Mendigo

good review.
I only have Boxer by this band, and I completely agree with your comment that sitting through it can get boring, though there are great songs on it.
I plan to get some more stuff of this band, this could be among it.

ohcleverhansyou
February 24th 2008

You should proofread your reviews to make sure all the sentences make sense (noun+predicate, etc etc.). Nothing's blatantly misspelled, just sometimes the sentences are jumbled and could be smoothed out for a much easier read. You focus entirely on the lyrics, which I respect since the National has some great lyrics and I personally have the hardest time listening to and analyzing lyrics. But mentioning how the rest of the band sounds would be nice.

I'm going to see these guys on Thursday, I am very excited.

jontheatheist
February 24th 2008

My other review is horrible in that sense but I gotta learn. And the show was good. Fortunately I saw them perform with a violin, cello, flute, bass clarinet, bassoon, trombone, two trumpets and a piano. Sufjan also came on for a song. Good solid performance. I'm also in high school so I'm no writing wiz.

ohcleverhansyou
February 29th 2008

The show was amazing, no flute bassoon, second trumpet or Sufjan though... They played my favorite two songs right in the beginning so the rest of the show was anit-climactic, but still very good. I think high school is where you start becoming a "writing wiz."

Kashmir09
November 2nd 2009

This is worth it just for "Cherry Tree" and "All Dolled Up In Straps" alone. Two of my favorite National tunes

February 24th 2010

about today is awesome as well

DBlitz
March 27th 2010

just listened to this

all dolled up and straps and about today are amazing

Kiran
May 15th 2010

all dolled up in straps is amazing but about today kills me

Inveigh
September 8th 2010

This is pretty great... doesn't really hold up to their last three full lengths, but, it is The National so it rules

Digging: Symptom - Caverns Of Katabasis

musicforpaque
September 10th 2010

I hate to be blatant but how could you write this review without at least mentioning "About Today"? It doesn't have to be your favorite song on the album, it could even be your least favorite, but the song is a favorite of The National's fans, and at least should be mentioned.

Though Good review

September 11th 2010

yeah Jon the atheist what the fucking fack

EVedder27
November 19th 2010

dolled up in straps is easily one of their best songs

Knott-
December 17th 2010

urgh About Today is the best song they've ever written so so so so painful

December 17th 2010

yeah truly one of their best

juiceviaorange
April 18th 2011

Man I love this EP, review kinda blows, and The National kick too much ass

BigHans
April 18th 2011

All The Wine ftmfw

April 23rd 2011

This just might be my favorite National. Every song makes me emotional...which sucks because the whole thing is depressing. But it still takes a special album to have that kind of sway over my mood.

Lucid
September 13th 2011

About Today is their most depressing song. I just can't.

Digging: Perfume Genius - Learning

juiceviaorange
October 16th 2011

EP rules, this review sucks

Eclectic
November 4th 2011

"About Today" and "Start A War" were so ridiculously perfect in Warrior.