Sieges Even
The Art of Navigating by the Stars

by Vanwarp USER (11 Reviews)
February 2nd, 2008 | 17 replies | 7,575 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The beauty of The Art Of Navigating By The Stars lies within all the simplicity, the complexity, the melodies, the emotion, the lyrics and the overall level of artistic quality.

“The Art Of Navigating By The Stars” is a cleverly written album with very high quality song compositions. The album contains plenty of intricate time signatures, creative rhythms and a variety of excellent guitar solos! Markus Steffen’s outstanding ability on guitar is beautifully painted all over this album. Many progressive rock bands use keyboards and/or synthesizers, but you won’t find any on this album and you won’t miss them either.

The album is divided into eight different sequences just as they are listed on the album cover. Each sequence is linked with the catchphrase: “The view from here is frightening,” which is repeated at carefully positioned intervals throughout the album.

The menu is filled with layers of acoustic guitars and sugarcoated with the clean tone of electric guitars. A flute makes a momentary appearance. Although vocals rule and the guitar work is very impressive, the bass and drums are ever present and provide much of the entertainment on hand. Everything is so very cleverly prepared and skillfully tied together.

There are moments in each sequence that I can’t wait to hear and the build-up to each segment is just so well orchestrated as to give you a sense of complete satisfaction and jubilation every time they come around. I’m talking about truly unforgettable moments like; the chorus to “Stigmata,” or the classical guitar solos found in both “Blue Wide Open” and “Lighthouse,” or the very short and subtle drum pattern just before the great vocalization and last chorus to “To The Ones Who Have Failed,” or the fast paced drumming section that appears near the two minute mark of “Styx.” All of them highlights on the album and there are many more, simply to many interesting moments to list them all here.

The Art of Navigating By the Stars is a progressive rock album for the ages. I can’t imagine ever getting tired of it.

Rock Sugar ReimaginatorKatatonia The Great Cold Distance
Whitesnake Good To Be BadPorcupine Tree Deadwing
Freak Kitchen OrganicIron Maiden A Matter of Life and Death

hermitspancho
February 2nd 2008

Really like your review style here, short but descriptive. I'm really into prog metal lately and the review made this seem worth checking out......sadly I really didn't like it lol .I remember now why I stopped checking out prog rock.

jrowa001
February 2nd 2008

props for reviewing this. i love this album, and you did a good job describing it. more people should listen to this album

fireaboveicebelow
February 2nd 2008

I didn't like it the first time I heard it but this is a good review so I'll try again

Vanwarp
February 3rd 2008

This album grows on you...the more you listen to it. I think over the span of a year, I considered every single track as my FAV at one moment or another. This is the kind of album you play when you've had a long day, just sit, relax and listen...

kingsoby1
August 29th 2008

It's really not that amazing. All the hallmarks of prog-metal: horrid vocalist/ stuck in the 80s, predictable minor key tonality soft passages, fate's warning copycat harder passages. I like the cheesiness at times, but otherwise, meh.

yontar
August 29th 2008

kingsoby couldn't be much more wrong, it takes time to really love this album, man it's just so different from the hallmarks of prog metal. I would barely even consider it metal at ALL. To me it just sounds like a really melodic prog group.

kingsoby1
August 29th 2008

Sorry, I meant melodic hard prog rock fusion spacejazz. They're fine, but far from perfect.

scissorlocked
July 12th 2010

the album is splendid and the review good

well done

Digging: John Roberts - Ausio

July 18th 2010

Good review.

Excellent album.

Digging: The Golden Grass - The Golden Grass

MindTrain
August 13th 2010

Took a few tries to get used to the slow speed but this album is surprisingly good. It's written so well.

AtomicWaste

December 25th 2010

yes it is my friend :-)

porcupinetheater
January 18th 2011

This is one of those albums that only grows on you with time. My first listening was quite enjoyable, and succeeded in getting Art of Navigating By the Stars added to my cumbersome queue of albums to pick up. However, repeated listenings quickly shot it to the top of said list, and after almost 50 listens completely through, it still amazes. Review was, although on the shorter side, quite well written, and did do a good job of describing the music found. Pos.

January 18th 2011

this band is terribly underrated here.

conesmoke
July 10th 2012

too right. Great album

January 7th 2013

swee

Digging: IQ - The Road of Bones

ksoflas
August 7th 2013

Killer review man. Way to go.