September 22nd
Hello, Throne

by Jewish Dickgirl USER (17 Reviews)
January 31st, 2008 | 43 replies | 9,756 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: These guys have potential.

September 22nd’s a small screamo band from Tennessee that I stumbled upon on the Ultimate-Guitar forums, in a thread started by a friend of the band. They uploaded this album to megaupload themselves for free distribution, and the link is provided at the end of the review. All in all, they’re not too original, but they make up for it with some epic music. Its gloomy as hell, but in an airy manner that’s simple to digest, similar to maybe Envy or Scoreoneforsafety, but with elements of metal thrown in here and there.

It’s an entrancing journey into those low places we all get from time to time, and it might just help provide some sanity. There are layers upon layers of guitars and synths; enough building blocks to construct the great pyramids of Giza. The droning chord progressions bring the feeling that this is the beginning something monumental, but they never just drone, they’re not a one trick horse. There are plenty of doomy portions, maybe doomy's not the word, something along the lines of Agalloch, non-chuggy metalcore breaks, even some post-rock… they’re taking things we’ve all heard before and turning it into something fresh and inviting.

The song Solemn’s Harrowing starts with a melancholic clean guitar progression, with a discordant break in the middle of it, meanders into something more epic, and filters back to the discordant break, repeating, into a great breakdown, with very slow chugs, an epic melody, and then the discordant break yet again, and then fades out and into another depressive guitar part. Progressions of the sort are used throughout the album, giving it some sort of character, like you’re trapped in your room for days in the deepest self-pity that keeps snapping into self-loathing, and then you cry. It feels that honest. It’s like a sonic depiction of a depressive funk made beautiful, and the vocals add so much more… ranging from a raspy-voice-cracking shout similar to that of TJ Bonette from As Cities Burn, to hoarse shouts, and even frustrated shrieks like Jacob Bannon of Converge, it’s all there, it’s all bursting from the guys throat.

The only real issue I’ve found with the album as a whole is the drumming. Maybe it’s because the toms seem almost in the background, but the drumming just doesn’t seem as busy as it was meant be in some portions, such as the intro of We Are Our Own Cutlass. But he does do very well to have the drumming drone along in the same depressive dirge.

So if you’re looking for something gloomy, check it out:

Graves of Valor Salarian GateWinds Of Plague Decimate The Weak
Faithealer We Will Turn Your Cemeteries Into Our...From A Second Story Window Delenda
Shai Hulud Hearts Once Nourished With Hope...See You Next Tuesday Sampler '05

Downloading, commence!

HighandDriving

Gloomy emo....sick.

McP3000
January 31st 2008

youve been busy i am the robots

January 31st 2008

This album fucking blows donkey dick.

WINDS OF PLAGUE IS SO BRUTAL BRO

go fuck yourself for being a closed minded retard

rasputin

they both look crap

January 31st 2008

I'm not too closed minded, when it comes to music hence I downloaded the album, and sat painfully and listened to the entire thing, and gave it a huge chance. It was just really fucking boring...and I'm sorry that you like them, try writing a review that matters.

February 1st 2008

It's totally not a 2, I'm just saying that if you say Winds Of Plague is good and this is poor... well, lol, I can't take your opinion too seriously.

Killed4less
February 3rd 2008

I'm listening to the first track now it's decent, nothing mind-blowing though.

Yeah chickenfish, wtf are you on, this is anything but boring.This Message Edited On 02.03.08

February 4th 2008

It's pretty damn epic though.

Epic...
You both, die.

stfu noob

February 4th 2008

This is like your second time saying noob, towards me. I hope you're not being serious when you use it...because when I read that, I laughed. I know you're not serious though, it's chill. This band sucks, end of phucking story.

February 4th 2008

dude, i can see it not being your thing and thats cool, but it doesnt suck by any means

and once more, if you think winds of plague is good, youre most likely a noobThis Message Edited On 02.04.08

February 4th 2008

If we're talking about technicality, which I presume you are now, it's not that great man. It really isn't I'm sorry.

You're still talking about Winds of Plague, phuck dude. Lest I clear this up now, so I can steer away from future debates involving phucking Winds of Plague. I don't by any means they're an amazing band or anything, but they're not bad musicians, and their music TO ME is quite catchy. They have some interesting shit in there, although they get a bit tiresome.
NO more Winds of Plague talk, I've never had to hear so many noobs or Winds of Plagues in my life.This Message Edited On 02.04.08

February 4th 2008

who the fuck gives a shit about technicality? musics about feeling

February 4th 2008

but it doesn't suck by any means

I thought you meant they didn't technically suck. Which they don't, but they suck in way you ARE talking about. The feeling I get is boredom, but hey yours differs so what can I do?

Also, if you say music is about feeling then how could you make a statement like this...

and once more, if you think winds of plague is good, youre most likely a noob
?

rasputin
February 4th 2008

chickenfish just don't reply, we all know the crap robots listens too.

February 4th 2008

But he seems to think it's epic, and that just isn't going to fly.

HighandDriving
February 4th 2008

I like similar music to this and I even think this is somewhat boring, abit too droning.

and once more, if you think winds of plague is good, youre most likely a noob

You know you're a noob.......when you think Winds of Plague is good.