Envy
Abyssal

by Channing Freeman STAFF
January 19th, 2008 | 39 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Japanese band Envy seem to get better as they move farther away from their hardcore roots and into the realm of post rock. While they were still very good as a screamo band, the sound they have carved out on their latest records suits them better. Even though the aspects of post rock they draw on seem cliche, such as buildups and climaxes, their music is still incredibly fresh because of the screamo elements still present in their music. This latest EP Abyssal serves as a bridge between their last album Insomniac Doze and their much-anticipated new release.

With these four songs, Envy have further developed the heavy post-whatever influences heard on Insomniac Doze. "A Road Of Winds The Water Builds" seems to be the main focus of the EP, clocking in at ten minutes and running the gamut of Envy's bag of tricks. The song is all waves, building up and crashing constantly. The thing that's cool about Envy is that nowadays even when they allude to their past and play intense hardcore parts, they are very sludgy and slow-burning yet they don't lose any intensity along the way. The middle of the song is one of the best moments of 2007; the clean vocals, ascending guitar riffs, and crashing drums all combine to make perhaps the most moving section Envy has ever recorded. "All That's Left Has Gone To Sleep" is the song that is most similar to the stuff heard on the band's earlier releases, fast and chaotic for all of its four minute length. "Thousand Scars" is like a shorter version of "A Road Of Winds...", starting out with a heavy section and progressing into a beautiful clean buildup into the song's climax. The EP ends with "Fading Vision," a tranquil, retrospective piece that has some spoken word stuff that Envy have done before on previous albums; it's a nice breather from some of the more intense parts of the EP.

Abyssal is certainly a very strong EP, housing some of the coolest and most beautiful moments Envy have put to tape. I'm a huge fan of the sound that Envy have crafted for themselves these past few years. They have combined the best parts of multiple genres and in my opinion they are one of the finest bands out there right now not just in their respective scene but in all of music.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsThe Menzingers Rented World
La Dispute Rooms of the HouseMiley Cyrus Bangerz
Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulKanye West Yeezus

nice soundoff

IsItLuck?
January 20th 2008

sounds interesting. i never know when they release shit.

they put out a dvd that look awesome but i can't find it for under 35 bucks

rasputin
January 20th 2008

Nice review. I find it slightly amusing to think of a Japanese emo band.

plane

why

rasputin

Not sure.

DFelon204409
January 20th 2008

Hey chan when I was 16 I was listening to Thrice and Thursday. Get real dude and listen to some less elite stuff. Japanese screamo?!?!? So elite.

mkay

masscows
January 20th 2008

I feel like I should check these guys out because what I've heard from them wasn't typical run-of-the-mill screamo. One of my friends is into them quite a bit, I'll ask him for some stuff and maybe check this out. The 'review' was good enough, it's just an EP after all.

Killed4less
January 20th 2008

Yeah Envy aren't very typical in their overall sound, like the review said they use post-rock cliches but they're execution is original. I need to be in the right mood for Envy but this seems pretty cool, I'll get it...eventuallyThis Message Edited On 01.20.08

Confessed2005
January 21st 2008

A Dead Sinking Story was incredible. I haven't heard anything else by them so I might try this.

cbmartinez
January 21st 2008

Look into Insomniac Doze

Doppelganger
January 31st 2008

This is really really really good.

JordanS
January 31st 2008

Good review Chan, this is a delightful EP. I love some Envy, although I prefer their earlier works with a bit more screaming.

If anyone likes the earlier Envy sound, check out Hollow Jan. It's not quite as good, but is some pretty awesome Korean screamo.

Imdrunksowhat

I love Envy so much

Persata
February 10th 2008

Seeing Envy play "A Road of Winds..." live was one of my best experiences. The buildup at the end just kept filling and filling the venue, it was immense.

Love this EP. Oh, anyone else think his singing has gotten a little more tuneful?

February 10th 2008

Yeah definitely. The singing is one of my favorite parts of this.

P13
August 10th 2008

i'm going to look into these guys, they sound pretty good

Doppelganger
September 7th 2008

Damn this is still awesome.

handoman
October 6th 2008

Whats the first Envy album I should get?