Between the Buried and Me
Colors

by eggsvonsatan USER (8 Reviews)
December 7th, 2007 | 40 replies | 8,163 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: What the fuck just happened here?

BTBAM Colors

Regardless of who you are, if you pay any attention to heavy music these days, you’ve probably heard a fair bit of hype regarding the release of this album. The comments made about Colors are generally much of the same “65 minute masterpiece,” “Technical Insanity,” and so on. However, what impresses me the most about this band is not their jaw dropping ability to shread arpeggios at unconceivable speeds. These guys have a gift for creativity in a way that is seldom seen today. With each release, Between the Buried and Me manage to completely blow the heads off of their most dedicated fans, picking up a few more each time. This latest release is certainly their least aggressive and most accessible, featuring more use of Tommy’s clean vocals and longer melodic sections than they’ve used in the past. That being said, anyone with an ear for good music and an open mind should be able to appreciate this fairly easily.

It’s best not to get caught into trying to slap a genre on these guys. Too many try to describe them as “progressive metalcore,” “deathcore,” or some other ridiculous title, its best not to touch the subject because this album is truly genre-less.

I’m trying not to describe this album on a track-by-track basis because this is simply not an album that can be listened to on that kind of level. However, I will point out a few strong points of their musicianship. The bass is nothing short of legendary. Far too many bands in this scene tone the bass to almost inaudible levels that make you wonder why they even have a bassist. B TBAM makes the best use of their incredibly versatile bassist. Check out “Viridian” to see him at work. His breathtaking bass solo sounds more like something you would find on a smooth jazz record than a metal record.

One fairly new element that BTBAM have added is the use of keyboards, we heard them shine briefly on Alaska during Selkies, but this time around Tommy has made them more apparent throughout. Particularly during Sun of Nothing, they serve as a good tool to switch from a relentless skull-crushing assault to a somber, melancholic interlude.

Being a drummer, the percussion work here makes me question if this guy is even human. Clearly he is capable of jaw-dropping blast beats and complex fills, but his ability to maintain chemistry with the rest of the band while asserting his technical prowess leaves me astounded.

I’m not going to get into the guitars too much because anyone with a set of ears should be in awe of the face-melting solos scattered throughout colors. But once again, these guys step it up a notch. Instead of boring the listener with solo after solo after bone crushing riff, the guitars really take on character. For example, the guitar intro of Informal Gluttony sounds like it could just as easily be the opener to a Nile album.

Another astonishing feature of this band is their ability to prove their technical proficiency without sounding too pompous. BTBAM have a great formula for writing albums. With each album they build upon their previous material, staying true to their style while taking elements of other legendary bands such as Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, Mr. Bungle, and King Crimson to name a few. These guys don’t stop there however. Instead of simply ripping off of the above bands, they do a phenomenal job of elaborating on the work of these aforementioned legends. There’s no single point on this album where I’m thinking “gee that sounds like David Gilmour should be playing that;” what I’m really thinking is “wow, these guys did their homework!”

The power of this record can‘t be felt by checking out a few songs on myspace. Sorry folks, this is an album that you actually have to buy to fully appreciate. At least for me, listening to it in MP3 format takes away from the album as a whole. BTBAM’s ability to transition effortlessly from track to track makes this a landmark for the world of heavy metal. It’s bits and pieces of things you’ve heard, but it’s like nothing that ever came before and nothing that you’ll ever hear again. The only thing that’s left to wonder is what the hell are they going to do next? The message is clear: BTBAM is here to stay! This album is a piece of heavy metal history.

Eyehategod Take as Needed for PainBenevento Russo Duo Play Pause Stop
My Dying Bride Songs Of Darkness, Words Of LightCharred Walls of the Damned Charred Walls of the Damned
Garage a Trois Power PatriotAnaal Nathrakh Eschaton
4.2

December 7th 2007

Sorry, I know there's a million reviews of this album, but I really wanted to express my unhealthy obsesion for this album.
Only my second review, so comments and criticisms are more than welcome!

I hate this album.

masscows
December 7th 2007

BTBAM isn't that creative. They use multiple elements that are completely opposite while managing to create cohesion, but alot of their songs are very, very similar and they use alot of the same arpeggio patterns and transitions over and over. Not to say they aren't good though, they're just lazy songwriters sometimes.

This is worthy of at least a 4 from what I remember from streaming it off of their myspace. I asked for it for Christmas so yeah.

Decent review, lots of drooling fanboyism though.

rasputin
December 7th 2007

I've been meaning to get into this, but I'm not so fussed after your comment Crysis. I think we have a similar taste in music, so if you don't like it I probably won't.

December 7th 2007

God damnit, this and Dark Tranquillity's Fiction need to stop being reviewed. I dont hate this band, they're good but get overpraised too much and really dont interest me at all.

blackened07

This bores me.

December 7th 2007

I'm open to criticism, but calling me a fanboy isn't necessarily going to help me
improve this This Message Edited On 12.07.07

December 7th 2007

I find this band to be nothing more than a Metalcore band who plays extra long songs. Booooooooooooring.

rasputin
December 7th 2007

Thanks for the warning, I won't get it

December 7th 2007

If you are claiming that it has both elements of hard core and metal, than yes, you can call this a metalcore album. However if you are grouping BTBAM with bands like KSE, Avenged Sevenfold, As I Lay Dying, Trivium, etc... then you are sorely mistaken.

December 7th 2007

I never said they were like KSE or Trivium or all that, I said they are Metalcore, which they are. This is not progressive death metal like people say they are.This Message Edited On 12.07.07

Bfhurricane
December 7th 2007

Pretty good review for an incredible album. You mention the effortless transition from track to track - I couldnt agree with you more. I often listen to this album on shuffle, and I still cant tell when the songs change, which is more interesting than it is annoying.

Sure, Mike Portnoy can carry on an incredible solo for longer than most people can stay awake, but his genius is never showcased within context of the songs

Oh man, don't get me started on arguing against that...

SynGates
December 7th 2007

I've listened to this a couple of times and so far its meh.

Electric City
December 7th 2007

Woodly woodly wee wooodly sweepity sweep.

Killer BTBAM guitar solo there. I really don't like this band, the vocals are a huge turnoff and the samey sounding songs along with needlessly massive guitar solos don't help.This Message Edited On 12.07.07

Digging: A Sunny Day In Glasgow - Sea When Absent

Willie
December 7th 2007

These guys are good (I finally checked them out a few days back), but they failed to live up to the amount of hype they get on this site... and the album does get boring by the end.This Message Edited On 12.07.07

Digging: Emperor - In The Nightside Eclipse - 20th Year Anniversary

AA-12
December 7th 2007

Overall a pretty boring album from a boring band. It's better than their previous efforts at least.

LifeInABox

lol

Crimson

1935 Comments

Oh good, we needed another review of this.

masscows
December 8th 2007

Hbp, you find humor in really non-humorous things. You probably think the VH1 comedians are funny.

Wizard

19207 Comments

These guys have a gift for creativity in a way that is seldom seen today, especially in the world of metal

Creativity aside, they don't know how to meld their influences together very well. Their transistions between heavy and soft are not very well thought out IMO. Thats my only ill about this album.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver