Celeste
Nihiliste(s)

by Ben Greenbank USER (41 Reviews)
December 4th, 2007 | 33 replies | 12,557 views

Release Date: 2008 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Celeste come on a long way with their sophomore release but still fall some way short of a truly excellent record.

Of all the emotions that music can induce there is nothing quite the same as the thrill of the first time you “get” heavy music. I remember the first time I heard “Jane Doe” and I was absolutely blown away. It was like being hit with a sledgehammer across the face. On paper it seems ridiculous, you have a band with no ear for melody, very few identifiable moments, lyrics which are completely indistinguishable and a singing voice, the word singing used extremely loosely, that sounds something like the noise the hot blonde makes when the psychopath hacks her to bits in a slasher movie. Yet somehow amongst the unrelenting brutality there is something majestic and beautiful about heavy music. It’s what you might call an acquired taste for sure, but far from the “random noise” that detractors and the generally ignorant make it out to be, there is such a raw honesty about a band that gives everything they’ve got into their art, and one thing you could never hold against Converge and heavy music as a whole is a lack of passion.

Celeste is a band that has completely bought into the ethos of what good hardcore music is about. On their debut “Pessimmiste(s)” they produced an album with potential but ultimately something very mediocre by comparison to their peers. It mirrored the sounds of fellow French hardcore merchants Sed Non Satiata and Amanda Woodward whilst lending a nod to doom/emo crossover pioneers Envy. On “Nihiliste(s)” the band walk further down the doom metal path and away from their emotional hardcore roots which in a way mirrors Envy’s career path again. Unlike their Japanese counterparts however, Celeste have delivered a resounding no to the shimmering Explosions in the Sky tones and get straight to business. Right from the get go the world feels like it’s collapsing in on itself with opener “On Pendra les Femmes et les Enfants en Premier” which ensures a blistering start to a record, which really doesn’t let up from the opening bars to the closing screams. The whole album feels like one giant dissonant crescendo and it effectively combines a very “full” sound production wise with the raw feel present in their songwriting.

To set things straight, this is nothing like a classic album nor is it even remotely revolutionary or even intelligently crafted and complex. Whilst sitting in the same “emo” genre to Circle Takes the Square this album is like the absolute rejection of “As the Roots Undo”. It is the anti-thesis of everything that made the 2004 album such a triumphant achievement. Yet despite being at total odds with arguably the genres finest moment this is still a good listen and a thoroughly enjoyable album. Even though the intensity of the music is halted maybe a couple of times in the whole forty five minutes of “Nihiliste(s)” it’s almost like a pop album in its approach. Rather than make something which pulls the listener in all directions simultaneously Nihiliste(s) has one approach and one angle which it repeats and re-uses for a skull crushing three quarters of an hour.

Mutyumu IlyaAutechre Tri Repetae
Buddy Holly The Chirping CricketsPaul Simon Graceland
The Ocean PrecambrianJimmy Eat World Chase This Light

December 4th 2007

Short review. Download it for free here.

This is s really likeable album but it's just not "good" enough to rank higher than a 3.5.

Iluvatar
December 4th 2007

Album is okay. Your review was alright too but the CTTS talk in the last paragraph was pretty superfluous.

astrel
December 4th 2007

I like the review except for the conclusion paragraph.This Message Edited On 12.04.07

Fort23
December 4th 2007

The first few lines of the last paragraph is a bit awkward, but overall the review is quite good. Album is good, listened to it last week, but haven't realy gotten into it enough. Will later.This Message Edited On 12.04.07

December 4th 2007

Yeah it does kinda suck but I don't really like changing them after people point out there suckage. It's kinda cheating haha.

Intransit
December 4th 2007

cbmartinez says he is busy but wants to let you know that you are a faggot for reviewing skramz because you aren't a h/e troll. FYI.

December 4th 2007

yeah lunchforthesky, you need to go to a Ampere/Daitro show and ask their singers about other cr00sh emo bands you've heard of and/or meet Kathy from CTTS and discuss the perplexities of their new album with her before you can write emo reviews. You know? Support the scene man.

Duh.

Good review dude, downloaded this on your reccomendation and it's pretty good.This Message Edited On 12.04.07

Iluvatar
December 4th 2007

Hey look cb being too cr00sh for the room once again.
forgot normal people asking normal questions isn't what hardcore is about maaaaan.

December 4th 2007

haha dude I really don't care about who reviews what on this site, this is so stupid

DFelon204409

[quote=reviewer]3.5 great[/quote]

Really?

December 5th 2007

Lololol. Most emo bands are lame and never come to the UK as we have pretty much no scene at all for this kind of thing. I saw Envy play in front of 10 people and Hot Cross maybe 15. I assume they pull a lot more in the states and europe.

3.5 great

Your problem is?This Message Edited On 12.05.07

3.5 great

Your problem is?

Intransit
December 5th 2007

well I dunno cb you get entirely too pissy when John seems to review any emo.

I mean yeah John's gay but still equal rights come on.

December 5th 2007

i do post in HC/Emo from time to time by the way. I just don't like hardcore, hate Justin or take illicit substances which nullifies my involvement in 90% of the threads.

December 5th 2007

dude, so you don't hate justin? wtf? he sucks

Intransit: haha yeah, I'm just joking about the way he seems to act like he's the resident expert on emo because he's a STAFF reviewer and the way you guys like name drop about talking to the members of emo bands. It's like the way how everyone just LOLs when I Am The Robots or Hbp post something cause they are tools. Except when I make fun of you guys it's in good fun (with a hint of seriousness), when I laugh at them it's cause they suck.This Message Edited On 12.05.07

December 5th 2007

For the record (unlike some other members of this site) I do listen to and am aware of a lot of emo bands which haven't received a pixies or dfelon review lol.

December 5th 2007

rofl I know dude, I was just kidding about that thing I wrote, that was making fun of Iluv and Intransit

December 5th 2007

lol I know I just wanted to make snide comments too.

Also I bought Radiohead tickets today. Be jealous haha.This Message Edited On 12.05.07

December 5th 2007

ah lucky indeed, i hope they announce US dates soon, next year will be sick, Radiohead tour and Mars Volta hopefully after that

kalkal50