TRUSTcompany
The Lonely Position of Neutral

good

by Pedro B. USER (303 Reviews)
December 4th, 2007 | 22 replies | 2,258 views

Release Date: 2002 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Linkin Park worship at its best.

Dear Linkin Park:

My name is Kevin Palmer and I am writing on behalf of my band Trust Company, where I sing and play guitar. We just wanted to tell you guys how much we absolutely adore you. In fact, we like you guys so much we base all our sound around yours. Total worship, you know? For example, I always quote Ches as my main influence in vocal terms, and both me and James (that’s our guitarist, James Fukai) cite Brad Delson among our favourite guitarists. Oh yeah, and Jace (that’s Jason, our drummer), he totally worships Rob Bourdon, he wants to sound like him so bad, it’s not even funny. As for Josh, our bassist, he claims to be better than your Phoenix, but when he tries to exemplify he always uses the same example. It’s always the intro to Finally. That’s why it doesn’t really stick, IMO.

Anyway, let me fill you in on a little background. Me and James started the band in 1997, and we used to have a guy called Warren on bass. We also used to be called 41 Down, but we changed it because everyone kept asking “hey, aren’t you those snotty Canadian punk-pop kids?” So we just had enough of that and changed our name to Trust Company (when we want to be cool we type it TRUSTcompany, but you can just type it any old way you want). From the start, our intent was to pay worship to you, our heroes, our gods.

Enclosed is a copy of our debut album, The Lonely Position of Neutral, which was released about five years after we formed. It is entirely dedicated to you guys, for being our main inspiration and driving us forward. We worship you so much, we even worked with Don Gilmore who worked on both your records. Pretty cool, huh? When you listen to the album (and I hope you will, although you may be too busy), you will notice that the sound is pretty similar to your own. We even went as far as to appropriate the intro thingy from your hit Crawling – that’s, like, our favourite song you guys play – and use it in one of our songs. It’s at the beginning of the song Hover. I hope you guys don’t get mad, we did it as a tribute. We also tried to write our own version of Crawling, you can check it out on track #2, called Falling Apart. I hope you don’t think it’s too much of a rip-off. Finally, we have these two songs called Running From Me and Figure 8, and the titles are, like, total worship of you guys. On Running From Me I even try to rap a little, so that I can sound like Mike Shinoda. But it’s you I love, Chester, you’re my main inspiration, dude.

Of course, we didn’t base our whole album around you. The guys said we needed to have “our own personality”. To me, that’s just rubbish, but hey – it was 3 on 1, so I eventually had to give in. That’s how come songs like Downfall and The Fear don’t sound so much like you. Besides, the other guys also like bands like Hoobastank and Staind and Puddle of Mudd, and they tried to put those influences into the music, and it sucks, if you ask me. But hey – I don’t run the band by myself, right? I kept shouting “more Linkin Park, more Linkin Park”, but they wouldn’t listen. In the end, I don’t think those other influences are so bad, they add a little variety to the album, but WE NEED MORE LINKIN!!!

At least that song The Fear helps us get girls. It’s one of those typical radio ballads, I bet you heard a thousand like it, but I think we did some nice stuff, musically, on that track. It’s also my girlfriend’s favourite song, she says the lyrics touch her so much. And speaking of my girlfriend, she was the one who talked me into having that song Deeper Into You on the album. I think it’s kinda boring, filler, if you will, but she likes it, so…

The problem is, guys, we get a lot of crap. There’s this reviewer who says we’re just a pale carbon copy of…well, of you guys. He says the album could be worse, but it could also be better if we varied it a bit. He also says the bass is good but the drumming is poor, that’s, like, so unfair to Jason!! Not all is bad, though, he said he liked Downfall, Figure 8 and The Fear. He also said we sound like another band that’s here on Geffen, I don’t know if you’ve heard of them, they’re called Full Devil Jacket. Some of our friends say we sound like them, too. They play a sort of grungey alt-rock sound, they’re quite cool, actually. We do get a bit from them, especially vocally, but not as much as we get from you guys. That’s why we’re sending the album, as a gift to you. We sincerely hope you like it.

Well, gotta go now, guys. My girlfriend’s calling, I think she wants to go to Hot Topic again. Looking forward to hearing from you, this is Kevin Palmer of Trust Company, signing off.

On behalf of the entire band,

Kevin Palmer
Singer/guitarist for Trust Company
Montgomery, Alabama

Big Ball Hotter than HellChosen Resolution
Werefox I Am MemorySound City Players Sound City: Real To Reel
Nirvana NevermindEnforcer Death By Fire
3.3
Mike Allen (2)
Trust Company’s debut, “The Lonely Position of Neutral,” is a dismal record with a few above a...

hybridofsound (3.5)

rasputin
December 4th 2007

Amazing review. I love the concept. Well done, it's brilliant.

December 4th 2007

LOL, awesome review. Spot on rating too, anything band has done is a 3 at best.This Message Edited On 12.04.07

December 4th 2007

Planning to review this at one point. Probaly the biggest Trust Company on Sputnik, but this is a great hard rock album.

Digging: My Chemical Romance - Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge

Oblivioncry
December 4th 2007

i really dont agree with you, especially coz i dont think this sounds any much like LP except for the lyrics.

DaveBum69
December 4th 2007

OMG this has to be the weirdest funnist review ever

botb
December 4th 2007

The review is brilliant but these guys are much better than linkin park. There is no rapping.

ReturnToRock
December 4th 2007

well...yeah. they can write a good song. but the album is a tad too derivative, hence a 3/5 rather than a 3,5/5. i did hesitate.

December 4th 2007

Let the person who negged this come forth. I wanna hear their reasoning why this was bad.

astrel

I agree with this review.This Message Edited On 12.04.07

December 4th 2007

I somehat disagree with the review, however I wasn't the dick to neg. Good review though. ill vote.

Aficionado
December 4th 2007

A lot of this is true, but you take the comparison way too far. Still an entertaining read.

cometuesday
December 4th 2007

Linkin Park worship at its best.

Hahahah! I swear I didn't even need to read any more after this to know what this sounds like. Awesome review though, very well done.

Jom
December 4th 2007

Maybe I just have a strong distaste for concept reviews, but this is dreadful. Writing like you're eight years old with all the "likes" and "but heys" is extremely annoying to the point that there's more of an emphasis on trying to be funny (but failing) rather than coming remotely close to discussing the album outside of this weak correlation you drew up between the two bands.
You're a great reviewer and we're all entitled to slip a couple times, but this is worse than when you first started. While there may be few spelling and grammar errors, that isn't what defines a well-written review. I can't really applaud you trying something different because the end result is so abysmal.

December 4th 2007

[quote=Jom]there's more of an emphasis on trying to be funny (but failing) rather than coming remotely close to discussing the album outside of this weak correlation you drew up between the two bands.[/quote]It seems you just dislike the Linkin Park comparison. I see several sentences up there describing individual songs and drawing other comparisons to hard rock (i.e. Hoobastank, Puddle of Mudd)
Ultimately the one neg doesn't matter, cause 5 other people agreed with me.
Take away LP's rapping, and I really think these two do sound quite alike.

Jom
December 4th 2007

No, I dislike the emphasis on writing like an elementary schooler while trying to be funny and failing. If you're only going to quote certain elements, argue against them decently.
Aside from Full Metal Jacket appearing paragraphs down, those "other comparisons" are casually placed in the same sentence, which I don't buy as "several sentences." And the descriptions of the songs barely scratch the surface (e.g. oh, paragraphs 3-5 are basically half-assed connections to LP songs without really delving into how they are or why the reviewer thinks this is the case). The review also makes a lot of assumptions, which unless there's proof that statements did in fact occur, makes the review even worse.

Oblivioncry

Was this Review Well Written? Yes | No

of course it is, so why should anyone neg it? it doesnt say: do you agree with the review.

anyway the concept was kinda weird but nontheless kinda funny

rasputin
December 4th 2007

The fact that it's an original review and breaks away from the mass of standard reviews is a good thing, whether or not you like it.

KissofJudas
December 4th 2007

For my first post ever on these forums I just wanted to say congratulations to Jom for taking a 5-star dump on everyones cheerfulness.

"And the descriptions of the songs barely scratch the surface"
Of what? This album is about a quarter of an inch thick.

ReturnToRock
December 5th 2007

i won't be mad at Jom, we have agreed many times in the past. but the purpose of writing like a gradeschooler is...well, remember that fall out boy review where the reviewer writes as though he was a 15-year-old girl? well, yeah.

i do feel i describe the songs and musicianship to some extent, i draw a comparison between the two bands these guys sound like (namely the one starting with an L) and i think you can get an accurate idea of what some of the music sounds like.

but hey, opinions are like.....right?

joshuatree
December 7th 2007

you've relied too much on concept reviews that don't give us enough information about the music. you need to write some actual reviews.This Message Edited On 12.07.07