Deicide
The Stench of Redemption

by rasputin USER (196 Reviews)
November 30th, 2007 | 23 replies | 5,390 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A very enjoyable and tightly executed album that suffers from the ridiculous Satanic image Deicide have made for themselves.

There aren’t many bands outside of black metal who have created the amount of controversy that Florida based death metal giant Deicide have. A Satanic image does give them a bad reputation, but one cannot doubt that it does bring a lot of publicity to the band. Most of Deicide’s earlier work has been pretty mediocre death metal, stripped bare of all niceties, and overly Satanic, to the point where it starts getting ridiculous. Still, The Stench of Redemption is probably the best album Deicide have ever made.

Prior to this album, Deicide underwent line-up changes which involved the replacement of both guitarists. That is undeniably the reason why this album rises above the previous Deicide efforts. Instrumentally, the album is superb. There is melody, there is brutality, and there is damn fine execution. The drumming has been one of the consistencies of Deicide, mostly in part to the talent of Steve Asheim (my spell-check came up with Atheism for his last name, how ironic). Even on the previous album Scars of the Crucifix, which was a pretty poor album, Asheim did a decent job. He again is brilliant on The Stench of Redemption, probably the best he has ever been. Alongside Asheim, the two new guitarists Jack Owen and Ralph Santolla, really shine on the album. As said before, there is a great deal of melody in the album, which was never apparent in any earlier albums. The more brutal moments are tightly played and sound great. The biggest thing about the album for me was the guitar solos: they’re simply exceptional. I think most songs had a guitar solo, and all of them are amazing. Also, they aren’t solely based around insane speeds (e.g. early Slayer); each of them are thoughtfully written and melodiously played.

In order for the excellent musicianship to be heard, the quality needed to be high. I don’t think I’ve ever listened to any Deicide album where the production has been good, but thankfully The Stench of Redemption is the first exception. However, I had a problem with the mixing, and that was the music all blended into a single twisted sound rather than each instrument being separate from each other. The lead breaks aside, the riffing, drumming, and inaudible bass all mesh into one frantic and furious noise. It can be a good or a bad thing, depending on how you like your music, but I personally thought it was a bit too much.

As mentioned before, the bass is completely inaudible. It just gets completely lost in the mix. Benton’s vocals however, are very nicely audible. They’re set a little louder than the music, which in a lot of cases isn’t a good thing, but seemed to really work with this album. Benton uses a different style of vocals, where he does his signature low indecipherable growl, but then does a high pitched scream over the growls. It’s a good formula, and shows off the capabilities of Benton’s voice. Nonetheless, I still had a problem with the low vocals. I just could not appreciate Benton’s growls, no matter how hard I tried. It goes the same with all of Deicide’s albums. His low, gravelly voice does not sit well with me. However, The Stench of Redemption is the best Deicide album in terms of vocals. For example, I cannot stand the vocals on Scars of the Crucifix; they’re far too cookie monster-like.

Longevity wise, the album has a lot to offer. The songs are all varied and don’t just sound the same, which to me as a big issue with earlier albums. This came out over a year ago and I still listen to it. Along with delightful musicianship and really cool artwork, and depending on whether you can overlook the silly satanic image, this album is a very enjoyable death metal album. I was unsure of whether to give this album a 3.5 or 4, but in the end I’ve decided to give it a 4, on the assumption that people will not be bothered by ridiculous song titles like ‘Death to Jesus’. If you do think it’s a little over the top, take a half of the score.

Hoax HoaxHakaristi Hakaristi
Burial Invocation Rituals of the GrotesqueEibon Entering Darkness
Abe Sada / Sub Ordnance Redux / Organ GrinderIron Lung/Mind Eraser/HS/Scapegoat Brutal Supremacy
TBliss (4)
A shot in the arm for Deicide garners stunning results....

Grant Johnson (4.5)

Kiran
November 30th 2007

"Death to Jesus" and "Homage to Satan". Subtle. Oh so subtle.

November 30th 2007

Pretty good review. Those song titles are pretty hilarious.

I think their S/T is easily their best, though.

November 30th 2007

what's their S/T? I've seen it before, but it's one of those abbreviations I have no clue about.

blackened07
November 30th 2007

It means their cd that was called deicide. Self Titled.

November 30th 2007

oh right, Self-Titled, thanks for that.

blackened07
November 30th 2007

Yeah no problem. I can't decide if this is my favorite or their S/T.

Slaytan
November 30th 2007

Their self titled album is their best IMO. It's so raw and overly aggressive, it's great.

November 30th 2007

"Death to Jesus" and "Homage to Satan". Subtle. Oh so subtle.

Well, for Deicide they actually are. Have you seen Glen Benton's face? Or read about him naming his son "Daemon"? Or seen the videos of him talking about animal sacrifices and mentioning how Lucifer tells him what to do? Or realized the band is called Deicide. I mean when you're named after the killing of God, saying "Death to Jesus" ain't shit.
I dont like this as much anymore but it's still solid. Ralph saved these guys from Glen's general insanity.

Pretty sure Deicide and Legion are both considered classics.

Really?
It’s a good formula, and shows off the capabilities of Benton’s voice.

What capabilities?

I also don't think it's fair to discredit their silly overthetop imagery. That's part of the appeal. You don't necessarily have to buy into it, but scrap that and this is just another death metal album. They set themselves apart with the fact that they're abos-fucking-lutely in love with their ridiculousness. Well, Glen is. This Message Edited On 11.30.07

diefamous
November 30th 2007

Bout time someone else reviewed this. Great job, I agree with most of it, but this album still gets a 4.5 in my book.

Cocaine,
1. I don't think either of them are classics. I don't mind Legion, but overall I don't listen to both albums very much. You might think they're classics, but I don't, I think they're pretty average.
2. Yes really. From your comment I can conclude that you haven't even listened to the album. An example is the title track, throughout the whole middle section.
4. And I think it's fair to discredit the image, because I think it deserves discrediting.

November 30th 2007

I'm sure he's talking about this part:
'which was never apparent in any earlier albums.'

"3. By capabilities I mean he's not restricted to a single sound, he is able to do both high and low. I still don't like his voice though."
Any DM vocalist worth two shits should be able to do that and more.

masscows
November 30th 2007

there are lots of great vocalists that only use low growls and mid growls...

Wizard

19206 Comments

This line had me in tears from laughter!
Excellent review. I could never really get into Deicide's older stuff, but this album was ok. Any suggestions on a really good Deicide album?

Digging: Merzbow - Dust of Dreams

November 30th 2007

there are lots of great vocalists that only use low growls and mid growls...

I'm sure they can do more, but they choose not to.

masscows
November 30th 2007

Their first 2 are supposed classics, but if you didn't like them you won't like anything else in their discography aside from this, seeing as how I've heard from just about everyone whose opinion is worth anything to me that the rest of their discography aside from this one is subpar.
This Message Edited On 11.30.07

Cocaine,

1. Just because you dont think they're classics doesn't mean they aren't widely acknowledged as such. I just think you saying that they're mediocre is pushing it.

2. You can't conclude shit; dont make assumptions about me, ever. I followed this from "The Stench of Redemption 666", which dropped on June 6th. This actually came out in August, which someone should change.
I was referring to the fact that you actually said they never had any good deal of melody.

3. He's restricted by his general lack of range, that was my qualm. This is merely personal though.

4. The factuality and legitimacy of their image surely deserves discrediting (and ridicule) but it's a major factor with this band in separating them from the slew of other floridian death metal acts who dropped the novelty some 10-odd years ago.

Yknow.

December 1st 2007

Yeah, didn't the EP or some other smaller release (ie. single) come out on the 6th of June? I remember reading about that before it came out, and that they had to delay The Stench... past the 6th because it wasn't ready.
And I'm standing by my statement, I do think they've never had any decent melody. They're straight-up death metal, not melodic death. Y'know.

December 1st 2007

You can use melodies and not be "melodic death metal". And yeah they just put out a teaser on 6/6/06 because, well, they're lame.

December 1st 2007

yeah, it would have been a lot cooler if the album came out on the 6th.

diefamous
December 3rd 2007

What's the matter coke? does Satan scare you? This Deicide album is by far the best and most differential from their previous work, finally giving the listener something more to listen to than just hateful satan gospel.This Message Edited On 12.03.07