Fall Out Boy
Take This to Your Grave

by Jorn van Schaïk USER (172 Reviews)
November 28th, 2007 | 17 replies | 25,977 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Who'd have thought? Fall Out Boy's debut record has got actual replay value! And twelve good, catchy pop-punk songs to boot!

It's such a funny thing how hype and label changes alter young band's careers. In 2003, Fall Out Boy were literally fall out boys: nobody knew them and nobody had a clue what these guys were going to churn out over the next couple of years. Four years, a switch to a major label, two albums, a bunch of chart-topping singles, bad press for lyricist Wentz, and collaborations with "great" hip-hop artists later, Fall Out Boy are just that: internationally recognised pop-punkers, to whom Lady Luck has given quite the amount of fortune and money. Of course, fame is a fickle friend, and who knows where Pete and co. will be circa 2011?

At least, then, we can remember and thank Wentz for coming up with one album that will stand the test of time as genuinely an excellent slice of pop-punk. Their debut for indie label Fueled By Ramen, Take This To Your Grave, is where it's really at for this band. No matter how many copies Infinity on High will sell, this has the better songs. Take for example the gorgeous single "Grand Theft Autumn (Where Is Your Boy)", with possibly 2003's catchiest melody line, grand guitar hooks, and memorable vocal twists and turn around every corner.

It's not just the songs that are well-crafted and original. Fall Out Boy, known for some of the best song titles (and also probably the ***tiest), hit home on their first track already, which for some reason bears the name "Tell That Mick He Just Made My List Of Things To Do Today." Despite its overly verbal title, the band injects one memorable guitar line after another, showing their pop punk colleagues the definition of a pumping opener. And "Sending Postcards From A Plane Crash (Wish You Were Here)" seems uneventful at first, but the amazingly powerful chorus line of You can thank your lucky stars / That everything I wish for will never come true just begs to be sung along a hundred times at gigs.

Fall Out Boy also have realised that playing exclusively slow songs is out of the question on this album (so we don't get awful tracks like "Golden"). Even Homesick at Space Camp, with some nicely finger picked notes and devoid of the "let's exhaust our drummer" tempos, ends up with a really powerful mid-section that ensures you're not snoozing off by the window. On the contrary, when they take a heavy approach and play around with screamed vocals ("Saturday" comes to mind), it doesn't make the song messy or falsely aggressive: the hardcore screams perfectly imbue another rousing chorus with much-needed vim.

And then there's the easier, shorter, more accessible songs as well. Fall Out Boy will probably never come up with a simple, midtempo, just-us-and-our-four-instruments-playing-a-song kind of deal than Dead On Arrival. There's no strings, no horns, no frills: it's fun and enjoyable pop punk at its best. Moreover, don't you just love how hindsight hands you the ironic honesty of a line such as "I know I'm not you're favorite record / The songs you grow to like never stick at first / So I'm writing you a chorus, and here is your verse" .

With this record, Fall Out Boy show it's not all about glossy frills, appearances on MTV, or if the amount of fangirls the band has equals the amount of ***ty quotes Pete Wentz can come up with in a year. This album was untainted by all of that, and it shows in the music: it's 12 tracks of pure, fun and enjoyable pop punk songs everyone can enjoy in ten years' time. Heaven knows I still enjoy this, years after its release, and so should you.

Frank Turner Tape Deck HeartBrand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Metallica MetallicaSlayer World Painted Blood
Katatonia Night Is the New DayRammstein Liebe Ist Für Alle Da

Altmer

so this is number 100

NOTINTHEFACE
November 28th 2007

Agreed. I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks this is actually a very good album.

Serpento
November 28th 2007

Seconded, it's a great album. Congrats on 100.

Flyggeli
November 28th 2007

uh Stump wrote most of the lyrics on this and im pretty sure Wentz doesn't have much involvement with the music either

ToWhatEnd
November 28th 2007

Yeah I thought Stump wrote the lyrics on this one as well. But good review elsewhere and congrats on 100.

foreverendeared
November 28th 2007

no in the credits in the CD it says all lyrics by Peter Wentz and Patrick Stump (obviously with Peter's name first). i've always been a big fan of this since the day it came out. i, however, have not been a fan of anything else FOB has done minus the acoustic EP.

TheStarclassicTreatment
November 28th 2007

Isn't this their second album?
Anyway, ace review.

Altmer
November 29th 2007

ok i know wentz isn't involved in the music but my bad on the lyrics

jrowa001
November 29th 2007

even though i have this at a low rating, its much better than anything they have done recently

Electric City
December 10th 2007

Boring album. My friend likes to dry hump this record, when really it's annoying as per most fall out boy records.

Digging: Ricky Eat Acid - Three Love Songs

Erratic
December 10th 2007

This isn't their debut. Fall Out Boy's evening out with your girlfriend, is. I'm not a big fan of this, but I like Grand Theft Autumn.

UpperDecker
December 10th 2007

"I sat outside my front window...this story's going somewhere: He's well hung," and I am hanging up."

I somewhat enjoy this album but what is with the lyric above???? "He's well hung and I'm hanging up"? Why's he singing about a guy thats well hung? Apparently the vocalist isn't gay but that is a pretty gay lyric, literally. Unless its over my head.

ConorMichaelJoseph
January 5th 2009

Nothing they did afterwards even compares to this. I don't like this album as much as I used to, probably because I hate the band now, but this is still a good album.

Asiatic667
January 5th 2009

Calm before the storm is a pretty great song

JayVex
July 5th 2010

This is easily their best album.

Dryden