Marduk
Fuck Me Jesus

by rasputin USER (196 Reviews)
November 15th, 2007 | 74 replies | 16,135 views

Release Date: 1991 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The release that began the career of brutal black metal outfit, Marduk.

Marduk is a black metal band from Sweden, who despite undergoing countless line-up changes, have managed to retain their credibility in their illustrious career. The band began on waves of controversy due to this explicit demo, and are still considered one of the blackest and most evil black metal bands to date. They were not caught up in the whole Norwegian black metal scene (probably because they aren’t from Norway :P), and kept the brutality of their music since their creation in 1990. Guitarist Morgan Steinmeyer Håkansson is the only member to have remained in the band since then. Analogous to their distance from the typical black metal scene, Marduk’s music is also not typical black metal. There is most definitely a focus on sounding heavy, brutal, and less melodic, and production is not intended to be low-quality. Although this demo does not have very good quality, I believe it to be the band’s recording capabilities to blame, not a desire to have it sound bad.

*** Me Jesus was released in 1991, and is their first titled demo (they had released a demo the same year called Demo #1). For a demo, I was quite interested in it, and it is a very good insight into the makings of the style the band utilizes now. There are 3 actual songs on it, and an intro/outro to make up 5 tracks. The intro really gets your attention quick. It is a clip from the movie The Exorcist and has the voice of the demon (Mercedes McCambridge) screaming ‘LET JESUS *** YOU’ to the sounds of the mother screaming. In the movie, the little girl (possessed by the demon) stabs herself between the legs with a cross while screaming the line. I think Marduk’s plan was to try and gain notoriety with this release, especially with the theme surrounding it. They certainly achieved it.

The songs themselves are reasonably decent black metal songs, all with that Marduk touch to them. To be honest, they aren’t really anything special in technical terms, but remember that this is black metal. The production is not too horrible, but it’s still not good. As mentioned before, I put this down to it being a demo, rather than having low quality production on purpose. One thing that annoyed me was the vocals were set to be a lot louder than the music. The vocalist is not too bad, but their current vocalist Mortuus is definitely the best vocalist Marduk have ever had. The vocalist on *** Me Jesus does however sound similar to Mortuus, albeit not as good.

Still, the biggest aspect of this demo is definitely the novelty. As I mentioned before, Marduk play a unique style of black metal, and this album really shows how it all began. Just listen to the intro of the 4th track, Within the Abyss, as well as the entire song, and the heavy sound that they would later adopt is apparent. On that note, this album scores points for the novelty of being the beginning of Marduk’s reign of terror. The album cover is also pretty cool, and adds to their evil reputation. However, the one thing that I disliked most about this demo was the outro. I’m unsure if it is taken from somewhere, like the intro, but it really does not fit. There isn’t really anything evil about it.

If you’re a fan of Marduk, add a 0.5 to the score. This demo is really only good for novelty purposes, so if there isn’t a particular reason you need to get this, don’t bother. However, it is an interesting foray into the beginning of the band, and is a lasting monument to the controversy that Marduk so willingly created.

Pros:
- Marks the beginning of Marduk
- Definitely has novelty value

Cons:
- Bad production
- Doesn’t stand up as a release, relies on novelty value

Hoax HoaxHakaristi Hakaristi
Burial Invocation Rituals of the GrotesqueEibon Entering Darkness
Abe Sada / Sub Ordnance Redux / Organ GrinderIron Lung/Mind Eraser/HS/Scapegoat Brutal Supremacy

botb
November 15th 2007

Worst attempt of being anti-religious ever in that album name. lawl.

November 15th 2007

Good review. Rising with the reviews man, good stuff. The title and the cover remind me of Marilyn Manson for some reason.

rasputin
November 15th 2007

thanks guys. Even so, I still love Marduk =)

BallstoTheWall: yeah I am, I have another review which I wrote at the same time as this, I'm just finishing editing it, I'll put it up in a few minutes. I believe it to be my best review yet; it's a monster.

botb
November 15th 2007

Yeah that's what I thought when I saw it. haha. good review though.

Slaytan
November 15th 2007

Horrible album title, ok band.
Opus Nocturne is a good album though.This Message Edited On 11.15.07

rasputin
November 16th 2007

awww, you guys seem to hate the title. I think it's pretty funny :P

Tarantino's Tarantulas
November 16th 2007

Album cover and title brings the lols but awesome.

smokersdieyounger
November 16th 2007

Want that cover on a t shirt man!

November 16th 2007

Ha, I just thought it was a naked chick, then I saw the cross. LOLThis Message Edited On 11.16.07

francesfarmer

Best album art ever.

November 16th 2007

I should of put it on the list I just made.

Eakflanderyof
November 16th 2007

Album art and title are ****ing hilarious.

November 16th 2007

LOL THE ALBUM ART RULES DUDE FUCKING HILARIOUS SHIT IS SHE MASTURBATING W/ A KROSS???

Crysis

^

The most retarded man alive has just spoken in the previous post.

plane
November 16th 2007

That comment was obviously very serious and not to be taken as sarcasm.

Eakflanderyof
November 16th 2007

Anyone who doesn't take the album art and title seriously should find it amusing. Sorry for being a moron

Funny thing is that we're not trying to be insightful or trying too hard to be witty or funny like Yvy. This Message Edited On 11.16.07

MORE LIKE MARFUCK CUZ SHES STUFFIN JESUS IN HER VAAAAAAAGINA

lol

MORE LIKE MAR**** CUZ SHES STUFFIN JESUS IN HER VAAAAAAAGINA

LMAO

Tarantino's Tarantulas
November 16th 2007

Thus carnally imposing the enlightenment of her saviour upon her benighted cvnt.