Baroness
Red Album

by gasmaskman USER (6 Reviews)
November 14th, 2007 | 298 replies | 31,892 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Take old Mastodon, and mix it with some Isis. Though it is deeper than that.

Baroness is:
John Baizley - guitar, vocals
Brian Blickle - guitar
Summer Welch - bass
Allen Blickle - drums

Maybe you don't realize it, but John Baizley is rather famous - at least, in the metal community. I myself am a fan of his work, and it's pretty much everywhere. His art ranges from the covers of Darkest Hour's and Pig Destroyer's latest albums, to the whole range of Sounds of the Underground Tour art, and a long list of band T's. It's enough to say his art is amazing, but the music? Put Baroness to the list of recent bands starting to form around the Savannah, Georgia hotbed, next to Mastodon, Light Pupil Dilate, and Kysela. The band has a clear southern influence on their sound, and the production is raw. Standing on their own, they bring a sound that mixes progressive metal, sludge/doom elements, and a twist of post-metal.

Instrumentally, the band is sound. Crafting lengthy interludes, with heavy climaxes and weaving guitars, the band barely plays a dull moment (minus the lengthy and boring Wanderlust). The bass is fairly audible, and adds a key low section to the entire album. The album opener Rays of Pinion slowly builds till the vocals hit, and then you notice something. This band is pretty much, in every way, a combination of Mastodon and Isis. Baizley has a very similar bellow to Brent Hinds, and a throaty grunt not unlike Aaron Turner's. Though not necessarily a bad thing, it slows down an album bent on defying conventional genre definitions.

On towards The Birthing and Isak, Baroness bring the album's shining example of excellent guitar work towards the second half of the album's second song. Dividing the two sections of the song is an effective bass fill, and is overall an incredible song. The next track is another guitar-driven track, and features a very suitable intro. It's obvious to see these two tracks show their clear Mastodonian influence, with a clear focus on heavy, complex riffs and long instrumental sections.

Hitting us next is the song Wailing Wintry Wind, which easily shows off their ability to craft lengthy and complex sections of pure instrument bliss. For the first two minutes or so, the guitar takes a back seat, instead filling in an ambient role as some solid work from the drumming side of things appears. For the next two minutes, we're treated to some exceptional and melodic guitar riffs. At four minutes the track hits its high point when the guitars deepen and Baizley's vocals bursts this ever expanding bubble. Breaking up these amazing songs is Cockroach En Fleur, a marvelous acoustic interlude, showcasing there true southern heritage. The downside to this is that the next track is by far the album's weakest.

Wanderlust starts out on a great foot, providing the same insatiably technical guitar as previous songs, along with some solid drumming. Then you realize this song starts to drag for its entire four minute and thirty second duration. The guitar work behind the vocals seems out of place, and the same riff is repeated a countless amount of times. Finally it ends, bringing up the superb song Aleph. Opening with some more slower guitar work, the void of heaviness is once filled as the guitars get heavy and the bass kicks in. The drums shine again in this album, with many a drum roll here, though not nearly as overdone as Brann Dailor at the Mastodon camp.

After this comes the two shortest “real” songs (both around the two and a half minute mark) on the album, Teeth of a Cogwheel, and O'Appalachia. The first of the two features a catchy riff, with complex drumming in the backround. The second of the two is by far the better, with standout guitar work throughout, yet again, and more of the throaty vocals of John Baizley. The “catchiest” and arguably the most accessible of all the tracks, O'Appalachia still doesn't disappoint. The slowest track on the album, Grad, is a fitting close to an album fueled by aggression. A stand-out climax rivaling Isis' best is the highlight of the track. The song picks up towards the end, and then before you know it the album slows to its finale. An album in the running for my album-of-the-year.

Despite the large, glaring influences staring you right back in the face, Baroness have crafted a fine debut worthy of standing next to their peer's albums Leviathan and Panopticon. Even through this, the album is rather different and should definitely be heard. Very highly recommended to fans of Mastodon, and more so if you are a fan of both them and Isis

Recommended:
Rays on Pinion
The Birthing
Aleph

Flying Lotus CosmogrammaGenghis Tron Board Up the House
2Cents Lost At SeaBetween the Buried and Me Between the Buried and Me
Through the Eyes of the Dead Malice
Paralized (4)
Baroness show with their first record that they very well know how to rock - and mix things up a bit...

fruteefly (4.5)

DerMond (4)
what the rednecks in 'Deliverence' would sound like with guitars- really really good!...

Thor
November 14th 2007

I heard Rays on Pinion and loved it. This will be on my Xmas wish list.

Iluvatar
November 14th 2007

This really didn't already have a review? Wow.

plane
November 14th 2007

This sounds rather cool. I like this album art the most out of the Darkest Hour/Pig Destroyer/Baroness titles.

Thor

^^^
I'm really liking these styles of album covers.

Pebster49
November 15th 2007

Itunes recommended this for me, but I wasn't sure about it. Im not a huge Isis fan but I do like Mastodon...kinda tempting.

Yyy
November 15th 2007

baroness are kind of lame

and so are the covers for the PD and DH albums

November 15th 2007

Im not a huge Isis fan but I do like Mastodon...kinda tempting.

I'd recommend it more for Mastodon fans than Isis fans anyways.

proudgeekdad
November 15th 2007

Definitely has a Mastodon and Kysela feel to it. Good stuff.

Wizard
November 16th 2007

19296 Comments

and the production is raw

I don't know what your standards are on production levels, but this to me sounded rather clean.
Excellent review none the less. These guys are another Relapse Records band. Do they ever release anything that is just good and not amazing?

Digging: Downer - Downer

November 16th 2007

Pig Destroyer ftw.This Message Edited On 11.16.07

rid
November 17th 2007

Pretty good album, great first impression, but I got tired of it damn fast, so a 3 it is.

November 17th 2007

W/e, it fits the music perfect IMO.

Wizard
November 18th 2007

19296 Comments

^^^^Cool, to each his own.
I just wanted to add that this album sounded so amazing when I first got it, but it quickly became a tiny bit boring after a few listens. Replay value is not the best but it still has some fantastic stoner 'kinda' rock vibe to it.

November 20th 2007

Dammit I was gonna do this.

December 7th 2007

Uhh, these guys aren't new, though.

AA-12
December 7th 2007

Great band for sure. I kind of like the older material better, but The Red Album is easily one of the best releases this year.

December 7th 2007

The vocalist of one of the bands I saw tonight had a sweet Baroness sweatshirt and an equally sweet MOTA shirt.

Justanothernimrod
December 12th 2007

I'd say it's closer to Pelican than Isis. still awesome though

Metalikane
December 12th 2007

John Dyer Baizley is an amazing artist. Musically and, especially, with his album artwork. His style reminds me of an evil Mucha.

December 12th 2007

Uhh, these guys aren't new, though.

"Baroness formed in mid-2003"
Recent enough.
And I love his art style, though...he designs some of the coolest ****