Ted Maul
White Label

by Luke M. Jenkins (Confessed) USER (58 Reviews)
November 1st, 2007 | 25 replies | 6,631 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Brilliantly inventive death metal with a unique twist. Heavy, groovy and possibly a little bit progressive, this promising UK act is a welcome addition to a selection of groups who have the capability to impress through originality.

What do you get when you blend death metal with drum n' bass influences? An odd genre combination is one possible answer to this question. Alternatively, you could just present someone with the debut album of a little known UK act called Ted Maul, who have successfully managed to blend the aforementioned genres. The result is astonishing; the frenetic pace of the music never slows down. The sheer heaviness of everything is also pretty impressive - guitar riffs buzz like chainsaws, odd keyboard sounds filter in and out and sick grooves that implement tricky meters are aplenty. This is metal, but it is metal like you've never heard it before.

White Label opens up with a corker of a track in the form of Forest... With This Memory Of A Free Festival. After a brief introduction featuring some electronic noises, some hushed vocals come in with a huge, chugging guitar riff guaranteed to get your head bobbing. The vocals are most impressive throughout the song, switching from guttural lows to screeching highs. As far as rhythm sections go, the band have got it down. Drumming is solid, with some great double bass pedal work and some cool fills every now and again. The bass adds a supremely thick low end to the sound, with that supremely undoubtedly being owed to those low frequencies. Hey, there is even a brief solo - nothing overtly virtuoso, but it is interesting and fits the song well.

Spherical Lie keeps things very heavy and very brutal, with some very quick drumming and catchy guitar riffs. One thing that you probably will have noticed by now is how much the crystal clear production adds to the overall, punishing sound that emanates through your speakers. Every clink of a hi-hat or every small, subtle bell-hit is heard perfectly, with the creepy low talking vocals coming through just as well as any of the growls or screams do.

For those whom are interested in what sorts of drum n' bass influences are present on the album, there are a few key tracks that should be checked out. 200db's down is almost instrumental (aside from some vocal sampling) - the beat set is most definitely drum n' bass, but the fact that the guitar imitates it just makes it that much more original and fresh. For the Innocent, being one of the album's biggest highlights, opens up with electronic keyboard sounds and some electronic drumming. A mammoth guitar riffs enters right before the vocal schizophrenia really does hit you. More double bass pedal mayhem, accompanied by brutal guitar riffs in uncomfortable time signatures. Don't be put off by this; Ted Maul never venture into the realms of math metal by playing DEP-like sections. Whilst every band member is undoubtedly competent in their ability on their instruments, nothing is out of place or overtly technical. The guitars tend to focus more on creating a groove rather than playing flashy riffs. On occasions, the odd flashy riff may be heard, but if you want more out-and-out technicality, you're probably better off buying a SikTh album.

If you'd of come up to me and said that death metal could be combined with drum n' bass before I'd heard of Ted Maul, I probably would have just laughed at you. However, Ted Maul proves that those odd genre combinations often turn out some of the best unique music in the metal scene at the moment. Alongside stellar acts such as Architects, Devil Sold His Soul and SikTh, who are willing to push the boundaries and limits just that little bit further, Ted Maul have successfully proved themselves as one act to watch out for. As the band say on their myspace, Ted Maul are going to infiltrate the inside of your intestine.

Recommended Tracks

War From A Harlots Mouth TransmetropolitanDevil Sold His Soul A Fragile Hope
Coheed and Cambria No World for TomorrowPig Destroyer Painter of Dead Girls

Monticello
November 1st 2007

Just sounds like Enter Shikari but more Death Metal which I can't say is overly appealing.
Good review though.

Metalikane
November 1st 2007

Good review. I definitely want to check this out.

November 1st 2007

I suggest you check them out Monticello, as they're nothing like Enter Shikari.

Try their myspace.

www.myspace.com/tedmaul666

Monticello
November 1st 2007

Yeah these guys are better than Enter Shikari. The Drum n' Bass isn't all that prominent though. It's pretty much only used for the intro and maybe the end. And the death metal sections sound pretty samey to me.
Confessed, check out Autumn Leaves (don't bother looking on myspace though, look on here).

November 1st 2007

Yeah, I've heard Autumn Leaves before. Good stuff.

Ted Maul grew on me, don't know if the same will happen for you.

jrowa001
November 1st 2007

good review. im going to check this out, seems intersting

ColdDamnation
November 1st 2007

I'm just thankful for a death metal band that doesn't have a name with "Dragon" this or "Sol Invictus" that or shut the hell up we don't care if you think you're hard 'cause you're name starts with black-death-mother-soul-lord of darkest night....just Ted.

Moytura
November 3rd 2007

I have been listening to these guys for a while and they're best new death metal band in quite a while. If there is any justice in the world they will get more recognition than all the crappy "br00tal" grindcore bands in the US.

Edit: Also, the techno parts rock too.This Message Edited On 11.03.07

xNerox
November 7th 2007

Damn, I wanted to review this, but I've been to busy with college. Oh well, you probably did a much better job than I did.

They're really good... I listened to a couple of their demos a while back, and got hooked, had to import the album from the UK.

November 8th 2007

Yeah they're an impressive act for sure. My sister knows the vocalist somehow, which is kind of weird...

Did anyone think my review was well written? Nobody has voted yet.

xNerox
November 8th 2007

there ya go, pos. voted.

the review was good, short and sweet.

jrowa001
November 28th 2007

i finally got my hands on this. sick ass album

DWittisarockstar
December 11th 2007

Two songs through, this is sick as shit.

After listening to more, some of the songs sound kinda samey. It's still pretty good though. I'm between a 3.5 and a 4.This Message Edited On 12.11.07

January 8th 2008

My friend's band are supporting them in March. Should be a sickeningly awesome gig. Ted Maul are insane live.

Rabio
February 5th 2008

I heard the song "Forest... With this memory of a free festival" on a Metal Hammer sampler, best song on there. I'll check 'em out.

February 5th 2008

If you liked that then I'm pretty sure you'll like the whole album.

These guys utterly destroy most current death metal bands.

March 2nd 2008

Posts, posts and more posts [this is an advertisement for some more posts plz].

BurlySlayerFan
July 19th 2008

Had this album a while now and after lots and lots of listening I still love it. One of the best UK bands in a while, watched them a couple of days ago... that was cool.

Forest... is a friggin' awesome song.

foreverendeared
July 19th 2008

i love this to death

twiik
August 26th 2008

absolutely sick, seriously

combines death metal with soemthing nearly as fast but at the other end of the musical spectrum

the pits were fucking AMAZING