Jesu
Lifeline EP

by Lewis P. STAFF
October 29th, 2007 | 18 replies | 9,279 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Halloween is a time to let loose and to become something other than yourself; to let the girls dress down and let the guys dress up. For others, it allows them to show a side to themselves they would never have before, hiding under the pretense of lies and masks. Jesu’s Justin Broadrick seems to confide in both, building a wall around him of lush, sonic waves and breaking his mold in much the same way. Whether the release date of Jesu’s Lifeline EP (flirting dangerously close to All Hallows Eve) is an accident or not, it still looms ominously over Jesu’s trademark wall of noise. It’s not immediately apparent, the title-track a showy tack-on, picking up precisely where Conqueror left off in a haze of sludgy drone that clouds the melody and vocals into an otherworldly abyss. It’s just another layer to Lifeline, a thin line between taking its titles literally or not , the intro’s atmospheric dread likened to that of a downer outro. In “Lifeline,” the melancholy of Broadrick’s words are lost in a retread through Conqeuror’s gloomier moments of controlled chaos, sparse phrases breaking through the fog (“I don’t feel anything---“). It’s not until its final minute that “Lifeline” subtly climaxes into a lighter, more spiritual segment, ending on a few clean chords.

But in a sudden tonal shift, Jesu lays the poppier sludge on thick, “You Wear Their Masks” both lighter in tone and catchier in melody. Broadrick is just as content in letting his words drown under the waterlogged production, but he at least sounds happier with hope and longing, the tweaks and airy notes floating like bubbles to the surface. The title might explain the slight tinge of disappointment that darkens the edges to the otherwise hopeful, loving tune, but it feels more ambiguous than that. Jesu is playing to the rafters in a celebration of the melodic metal and atmosphere, the bouncing electronics of its final moments a warm passage so the lyrical centerpiece of the album. With “Storm Comin’ On,” (another title up for interpretation), Broadrick brought on Jarboe to guest. As seemingly out of place as she is, Jarboe is as good a choice as any to offset Jesu, a mesh of two extremes that proves opposites attract. There’s a prevalent force to the song (Ted Parsons’ kit retains a tempo and blast that underlines Jarboe wispy, catastrophic performance) that complements the minimalist, lovely beauty to it.

And so the album ends, wearing its contradiction proudly as a disguise. Aesthetically the most pleasant and uplifting track on Lifeline, “End of the Road” entails a new beginning than a mere end with its more grandiose pop strings and stadium rock sensibility. It’s another landmark on the rode to continuous releases, an act of continuity that has found the band at five releases in 2007 alone. The EP might suffer from more of the same, “just another” Jesu disc for its discography, but Lifeline just fills that space between this release and that one. But most of all, it finds this shoegazer lifting his eyes to show a little vulnerability, even if he's only just preparing to lift the whole mask.

Jenny Hval VisceraYALL Drink From Between Our Hair
Deerhunter Halcyon DigestWavves King of the Beach
Circulatory System Signal MorningAnimal Collective Here Comes the Indian

br3ad_man
October 30th 2007

Great review. I didn't even know about this. I'll see if there are any tracks on MySpace.

francesfarmer
October 30th 2007

Review was perfect for this.

any14doomsday
October 30th 2007

I agree. Good review. I like this, but there has almost been too much Jesu coming out lately.

October 30th 2007

Wow, thanks everyone. Wasn't sure how I felt about this review.

The compilation that came out at the beginning of October, Pale Sketches (I believe that's what it's called) is really good so I'm hoping someone will review it. I might, but I'll probably never get around to it.

Kage
October 30th 2007

You describe my feelings on this exactly.

Two-Headed Boy
October 30th 2007

It's basically Conquerer Jr, but it's really really good.

Great work on the review.

Electric City

Jesu's playing around me soon.This Message Edited On 10.30.07

Digging: Alvvays - Alvvays

gasmaskman
October 30th 2007

I wish Jesu came near me...nice review.

Wizard
October 31st 2007

19231 Comments

I didn't enjoy Conquerer that much so this EP is probably gonna sound a bit weak if it picked up where Conquerer left off. Good review by the way! I will still check this out.

Digging: Monarch - Sabbracadaver

LifeInABox
November 6th 2007

Wow, incredibly short review. Good, though.

It's only four songs.

Commortus
November 6th 2007

It's short because he doesn't babble extraneously for paragraphs like most other people.

November 6th 2007

I do my fair share. I wouldn't be staff otherwise!

LifeInABox

Ya ya ya :rolleyes:

McP3000
November 17th 2008

just saw this Lewis

Skhrnykhsk
January 18th 2011

I only hate "Storm Comin' On".

sixdegrees
June 26th 2013

^ jarboe's vocals are so bad on that track

Digging: Ted Nugent - Shutup&jam!

MadMikeLove
November 20th 2013

I ordered 3 botch albums from hydra head and they sent me a promo copy of this album along with it. Huh. not terrible, but not anything I dig too much.