Texas Is the Reason
Do You Know Who You Are?

by joshuatree USER (5 Reviews)
October 27th, 2007 | 55 replies

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Criminally underrated? No longer.

Some albums fall by the wayside, for varied reasons. Texas is the Reason's debut--and only--was released in 1996, to relatively no attention at all, and Texas is the Reason broke up in 1997, a brief but tumultuous year after their debut, which is either a blessing or a tragedy. Did they break up before they created their own London Calling? Or did their brief period of greatness shine too brightly to last? The band members moved on to other random projects, previous band largely forgotten. Texas is the Reason's debut had certainly fallen by the wayside, to be washed and eroded away to obscurity.

Funny how things work out.

Members of Texas is the Reason were happily exploring other projects when--suddenly--their largely forgotten little record starting getting some critical press. The emo scene was beginning to expand in the early 2000's, with bands such as Jimmy Eat World and Dashboard Confessional offering a more emotionally powerful alternative to the schlock fed to the mainstream by stagnant pop-punk or post-grunge bands such as Nickelback and Blink-182. By 2006, emo had become a rather loose term, as millions of generic pop-punks were donning black eyeliner and faux-singing emotional lyrics in fake attempts to become the next big modern rock thing. In this year, Texas is the Reason reunited to sell-out crowds at New York's famous Irving Plaza. Texas is the Reason had no longer fallen by the wayside.

Despite being completely influential to the current emo scene, Do You Know Who You Are?--famously named after the last words John Lennon apparently said--is nothing like these bands' albums. Do You Know Who You Are? is both melodious and heavy; fast and slow, angsty while managing to be positive at the same time. The album flows together exactly like a great album should. Sure, the upbeat, nearly poppy "Johnny On the Spot" works very well on its own, but it’s the way it flows into the slower and more emotional "The Magic Bullet Theory" is what makes the album work better together than, say, a Fall Out Boy album.

Now on to a little more in-depth information on the songs: the title track is a beautiful, yet wistfully haunting three-minute instrumental, with a technical riff that keeps on your toes, waiting for the inevitable roar of booming guitars and chugging drums. The next song, "Back to the Left", perfectly delivers, being sugarcoated-poppy yet heavy at the same time, and striking a personal emotional chord with me that you rarely find on the new AFI album. Some songs, such as "Something to Forget", don't manage to hold their allotted time, but Do You Know Who You Are? always manages to catch itself back up with nearly flawless tracks such as the dark, bass-heavy closer "Jack With One Eye", as vocalist Garrett Khaln's vocals perfectly wobble with sheer emotion against the downtuned, dreary guitars and stagnant drums.

Texas is the Reason has managed to not fall irrelevant, mostly due to the expansion and commercialization of the scene around them. Despite once being forgotten, Do You Know Who You Are? has risen to a status of a classic emo album, joining Sunny Day Real Estate's Diary and The Promise Ring's Nothing Feels Good as 90s emo records that silently influenced a generation. But it's time for that influence to be silent no more; as Texas is the Reason has definitely not fallen by the wayside.

Electric City
October 27th 2007

Recommendations fail and should be changed.

That said, 2 reviews in a day, you beast.

Digging: Ricky Eat Acid - Three Love Songs

Serpento
October 27th 2007

I've been pointed to this band a lot, but never took the time to listen. Not bad.

YDload
October 27th 2007

This album could have been so good but the vocals are TERRIBLE. Makes it sound like Puddle of Mudd or something equally cringe-inducing. The voice is the only reason I can't enjoy this record.

CatfishJones
October 27th 2007

I'm glad someone reviewed this. Great Album.

cbmartinez
October 28th 2007

Yeah, the voice is pretty hard to get past on this album. Haven't been able to get into it, yet.

Correction
October 28th 2007

That said, 2 reviews in a day, you beast.

i know, im an animal.
vocals are TERRIBLE

they arent that bad, not so bad that it takes away from the experience of the album.

Zebra
October 28th 2007

I've listened to a handful of tracks by this band and thought they were decent enough. I can't recall anything about the vocals, so I might have to relisten.

tom79
October 28th 2007

Good review. This is a great album, I don't really mind the vocals.

Digging: Business Models - Room

Two-Headed Boy
October 28th 2007

Pretty great album if i do say so m'self.

The Jungler
October 28th 2007

I like this album a lot too, the vocals turned me off a lot at first though.
Good review.

corb
November 3rd 2007

I actually liked the vocals the first time i heard them. I've ordered this album and can't wait for it to get here so I can listen to all of it, Back and to the Left is a quality song.

DaveBum69
November 12th 2007

Starting to get in to these guys, I loved them on my first listen, which never ever happensThis Message Edited On 11.12.07

April 22nd 2008

you're allowed to stay for a whiiiile, i'm gonna need your time to sloooow down
guys voice is great

April 22nd 2008

I would check out this album if I didn't hate this band.

April 22nd 2008

How do you hate this band and yet have not heard by far their most relevant album

I don't know i was just playing. This Message Edited On 04.22.08

doesn't make much sense
that church doesn't encapsulate what people mainly discuss when they talk about god
this is THE album by Texas is the Reason, and when most people talk about the band this is what they are basing their opinion off of. everything else is almost superfluous. I mean I don't even really enjoy anything else they put out, and since your basing your hate of the band off of a 10 minute EP, I have no idea why I'm bothering with you.

he has been bullshitting about albums all day just ignore him

he has been bullshitting about albums all day just ignore him

what?

April 22nd 2008

no, fuck you, don't try to pull that shit. every time someone comments on an album you comment some random stupid thing when it is clear that you have not heard the record or band in question. i mean, i don't even really care but seriously stop being dumb i guess what i'm really trying to say is that i used to read those tracts that your avatar comes from all the time