CunninLynguists
A Piece Of Strange

by Theo H. USER (18 Reviews)
October 23rd, 2007 | 133 replies | 25,153 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

I find Hip Hop to be one of the biggest musical misconceptions among the public. I don’t know if anyone else has found this, but I see it all the time. Artists like 50 Cent and Kanye West give off this image of pretentiousness and total, unfounded self confidence and seeing as they are two of the most famous hip hop artists in the world right now, that pretentiousness is now the stereotype of rappers. On top of that, something else that skews this view on hip hop is the belief that it is just talking, and what talent is that showing? Why should people be making money off their ability to talk?

The reality is that making good hip hop requires a certain amount of talent on multiple levels. While the focus is on the words, the backing beats are possibly the most important thing in a rap record. They are the lynchpin. Without good beats, the record will most probably collapse even with a top quality rapper. The beats give the ambience and the focus that every record needs, not just hip hop. As an added bonus, it also gives rock and metal fans something else with which to appreciate this form of music. Now again, some people may argue that ‘he’s not even playing it himself, how is it talented?’ My answer to that would be ‘Why don’t you go and find the exact right drum beat or the exact sample and then implement them in a way that perfectly suits the song?’ That usually makes them see sense.

Thankfully, the beats on this album are so near perfect. DJ Kno, the man in charge, knows what he’s doing and it definitely shows. His compositions complement the vocals perfectly, weaving in and out changing the focus almost constantly. The drum patterns and bass are just excellent, creating a backdrop worthy of Dan The Automator. Even guitar solos are thrown into the mix in some of the songs, Inhale in particular, and once again, the production finds the guitar and the bass just entwining around each other creating a fantastic soundscape. The only beats that stays consistent throughout the album are the yawning bass and acoustic guitars. Everything else is mixed up to keep things interesting. On one track, there would be piano with just the right amount of echo and on the next there would be saxophones. The beats always suit the track they are on. As was said before the beats are always able to keep your yet still create a good backdrop for the vocals. Due to this attention to detail, Kno only delivers one verse on the entire album and that too, is great. It makes you wonder why he wouldn’t deliver more, but then you remember the beats and it all makes sense. Sacrifices must be made to develop such distinction.

The other members of the group, Deacon the Villain and Natti also give exceptional performances. They both share their verses equally throughout the album. Between them both, Deacon is the better rapper. His voice is gentler on the ears and his flow is much more agreeable. That isn’t to say that Natti is a bad rapper, but he can’t stand up to Deacon. His voice is much more ragged and well suits the darker elements of the album. However, it is always enjoyable hearing two different rappers that can communicate with each other so well. The album also contains cameos from other artists. Namely, Cee-Lo Green of Goodie Mob and Gnarls Barkley fame and Tonedeff. Cee-Lo’s part, on Caved In is very sleepy and relaxed. His voice is instantly recognisable if you’re familiar with his other works, and if you aren’t, it’s still good to hear his excellent voice. Tonedeff, on the other hand has a much larger part to play. The Gates is all about him at the gates of heaven, and it’s one of the more interesting songs on the album, mainly due to the verbal interplay between him and Deacon.

The album follows a concept, the album ‘follows the story of a man and those closest to him in their struggles with right and wrong, love and hate, faith and sin’. Whether that appeals to some people out there is not my business. What is my business though is how good this concept is and how well it is pulled off. The concept is not necessary to the enjoyment of the album, but of course it enhances the appeal of the whole album. This appeal is not unfounded, as much of it is very good but it seems unfocused. If you have the patience to work out the concept while listening to the lyrics, you will be rewarded. It all concludes well towards the end and although the moral has been heard multiple times from many different people, it seems like we all need reminders of it now and then.

Lyrically, the album is on form. Not just for following the concept either. Several of the songs can be listened as a separate entity from the rest of the album and these are perhaps the best songs on the album. The two examples that immediately spring to mind are the songs Brain Cell and Nothing To Give. Brain Cell follows someone’s life; it is not important who as it is meant universally. The repeated chorus line goes, ‘Living in a world no different from a cell’. This is basically the whole message of the song in one line. The verses elaborate further. Perhaps unsurprisingly, the best verse comes from Kno. I’ll paraphrase the song: no matter where you are, how old you are, how privileged you think you might be, you are trapped. Conceptually the song is entirely the protagonist’s imagination, but it’s still strong and may resonate within certain people, and that’s what a rap song is for. The other highlight, Nothing To Give follows Deacon The Villain’s character as he takes a stroll through the city at night and sees the ‘underhanded theatrics’ that happen on a nightly basis. While the message may not be as strong, it is definitely one of the stronger songs on the album, with possibly the best beat too of high piano notes with a good amount of echo, but that’s difficult to say.

So there you have it, a hip hop album that could potentially appeal to everyone. For the hip hop fans, it’s impossible not to like. For more rock oriented listeners, the beats will more than suffice to give enjoyment. Of course, there will always be the arrogant ‘metalheads’ of the world that will merely take a look at the cover of this album and dismiss it, but really, who cares about them? It’s their loss that they’re missing out on one of the gems of the hip hop world.

4.5/5

Hellacopters Head OffAkala Freedom Lasso
The Budos Band The Budos Band IIX Japan Art of Life
Cherry Ghost Thirst For RomanceEnter Shikari Take to the Skies
4.3

October 23rd 2007

Been wanting to do a hip hop record for a while. Wasn't sure how this one would turn out, but I'm pretty pleased with it.

its not hip hop

its rap

which is also known as hip hopThis Message Edited On 10.23.07

Go figure.

sgrevs
October 23rd 2007

Pretty ace review, I've been wanting to check these guys out for a while and haven't, maybe now is the time.

TheStarclassicTreatment

nice group name...

Naht

pulseczar
October 23rd 2007

Okay review, it sort of comes off as arrogant as the "metalheads" you denounce in it. I really like Dirty Acres, I gotta check out their older stuff.

ohcleverhansyou
October 23rd 2007

Before I read the actual review, your two paragraph defense of rap seems unnecessary. Onto the review!

Sepstrup

^ What he said.

Other than this album being hiphop, you don't tell us anything about how it sounds.

October 23rd 2007

Ugh. Back to the drawing board then. Was it really deserving of the neg?

francesfarmer
October 23rd 2007

It didn't work because you were elaborating on aspects of Hip-Hop and Rap instead of the album itself. It's common knowledge that CunninLynguists are a hip-hop group. Now what makes them unique as such?

October 23rd 2007

Yeah, I can see that. Oh well, steep learning curve.

francesfarmer
October 23rd 2007

The neg was a stupid idea though, whoever had it.

rattlehead42147
October 23rd 2007

yeah but the reviewer is a metalhead

nice review, i've seen these guys around and i might check them out.
+ voteThis Message Edited On 10.23.07

DWittisarockstar
October 23rd 2007

Fantastic band name. Other than that, who cares.

Iai
October 23rd 2007

I'm glad someone reviewed this. It's a pretty good review, although yeah, the first two paragraphs are a little useless. If you were writing this for MetalArchives or whatever, fine, but people tend to be pretty open-minded here*.

*because we bully them into it

October 23rd 2007

I think the second paragraph leads off well into the actual review, but yeah it is too wordy for that.
I'll be editing in more detail pretty soon.

EDIT: Just added more detail about the vocals and the beats. Hopefully that's better.This Message Edited On 10.23.07

Fort23

*because we bully them into it

quite true, but you just dont get converge

nah reviews pretty good, quite long, but deserving of a vote.
This Message Edited On 10.23.07

TheStarclassicTreatment

Fantastic band name

You really think?? I think I prefer the name Hoobastank.

October 23rd 2007

They're both awesome names.

DWittisarockstar
October 23rd 2007

Any band name alluding to Cunnilingus gets 5 stars from me.