Between the Buried and Me
Colors

by chris1 USER (2 Reviews)
September 26th, 2007 | 44 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: This album kicks Progressive Metal ass! Yes its that simple!

Between the Buried & Me - Colours
Released 24th September 2007 (UK)
Victory Records

So another review about Colors. Has this website gone Colors mad? Its certainly divided opinion in one way or another. I'm certainly on the 'for' side. Here's why: This album kicks Progressive Metal ass! Yes its that simple!

If you like progressive metal ala Opeth, Mastodon, The Red Chord and the Mars Volta(plus many more) then i'm certain you will find something to like on this album. The album has been created to be listened to as a continuous whole rather than individual songs and it honestly works much more effectively that way and yes its pretentious and self indulgent, but its also enjoyable.

The album contains parts of virtually every genre available (death metal, jazz, country, folk, pop, polka, metal) It certainly gives the impression that its an uncohesive mess, but in actual fact it all works perfectly.

Songs such as 'Informal Gluttony' have riffs that stop, start and thrash wherever the please. Tommy Rogers vocals make this album, alternating between a croon a gothic screech and full death metal growls but the guitar playing of Paul Waggoner and Dusty Waring along with the drumming of Blake Richardson make this album exceptional. Oh and lets not forget Dan Briggs on bass!

'Sun of Nothing' and 'Ants of the Sky' are album highlights while 'White Walls' could be the best thing the band have writtens since 'Selkies the Endless Obsession' from their 2005 album Alaska.

Mixing brutallity with beauty has always been one of Between the Buried & Me's strong points and the off kilter time changes, breakdowns, acoustic interludes, jazz guitar prove how well they accomplish this feat. the fact that they sit together seamlessly with each other is testamnet to the songwriting skill of BTBAM.

This for me along with Baroness's 'The Red Album' define a year that has had some exceptional metal releases heaped upon our ears, and in my mind Colors is up there at the top spot.

4.2

kalkal50
September 26th 2007

this review is overblown, very average and uninspired.. you didn't go into any detail

plane
September 26th 2007

You don't really tell us anything at all except that a bunch of moments on the album are great and then name drop a bunch of bands that either don't fit the genre you're describing or have little to do with Colors at all.

chris1
September 26th 2007

I know I read it and thought the same, but then I thought every other review of Colors on this site goes into each song in detail so i thought whats the point? Heroes is on TV in 10 minutes, hahah...

Anyway the Country breakdown in the middle of 'Ants of the Sky' is genius.

September 26th 2007

That was unnecessary. I agree with the others, how do you become ranked?

Digging: Pharmakon - Abandon

Iluvatar
September 26th 2007

What do you mean become ranked.

Altmer
September 26th 2007

album sucks utter cow balls

Fort23

srsly

September 26th 2007

The rankin numberg. I notice people who have written one good review have a ranking number. I know I've written atleast 6 well written reviews with the votes and I dont even have a number 1000 or something, I'm just confused here.

plane
September 26th 2007

balls- you'll get them when the great kings of the holy community deem you worthy. until then, f'uck off.

8')

FukuiSan
September 26th 2007

this review sucks. the album does not.

September 26th 2007

8 ? HarryKotter are you related to HyperboleKing by any chance?

You definitely are.

1935 Comments

I'd be seriously worried if your cum is crimson mate, might want to get that checked out.

September 26th 2007

Reminds me of a cannibal corpse song.

do me next please

Mikesn

that's what she said

i am the master of humourThis Message Edited On 09.26.07

Ok then...

Monticello
September 26th 2007

This thread/album/review brings uber lulz.

Two-Headed Boy
September 26th 2007

This album is insanely good.

hermione and luna

not cho because she is a chinky