Stars

good

by plane STAFF
September 18th, 2007 | 10 replies

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: In Our Bedroom After the War is the soundtrack for comforters without the pizzazz of war; outside of the first half, it instead opts for a more constrained, down-to-earth approach that just makes the fun Fire burn a little brighter in contrast.

If you’ll excuse the poor pun, the members of Stars have passed that stage of falling. In love, that is. Where Set Yourself on Fire played with the naivety of its album title (flirting with curious sexuality in tracks like ‘The First Five Times,’ a slew of innocence drawn out with a lack of elegance in the death of ‘The Calendar Girl’), In Our Bedroom After The War finds its characters so down-to-earth in transitional, broken relationships they’re knee deep in dirt, gossip crowding the corners like cobwebs.

It’s almost enough to get lost in: In the promising build of aptly titled ‘The Beginning After the End,’ the song calls forth a stab of cocky hope, simple beats set to simple synthesizers. It’s a slower, more careful Stars, but a sound bite proclaiming the album’s title fits snugly into its niche. But what follows varies wildly from sweet, simplistic ballads to ill-advised marks against substance over style; when Bedroom sticks close to heart and ear, it comes off with unabashed ease when everything else is simply fluff. The stirring, laser-lite ‘The Night Starts Here’ shuns grandeur by amplifying reverb sporadically to the R&B inspired drum kit. Vocalists Torquil Campbell and Amy Millian play off each other here, throwing witticisms back and forth like they’re so accustomed to. Passages can be given to each for stretches of time before switching roles or flow like a conversation. Bedroom is claustrophobic and restrained, mostly letting Campbell and Millian’s vocals waltz all over their backing music; this style may call for it (the piano ballad of ‘Barricade,’ almost completely devoid of electronics, lets Campbell alone to quiver and shake where he seemed so apathetic before), but otherwise they are manhandled by production (the vocal driven ‘Window Bird,’ Millian trying to pass her voice by an octave too high, is aided by a savory chorus and the addition of Campbell).

Or, almost like surplus, the album applies it too thick: In the Sufjan-cum-Under The Influence of Giants ‘The Ghost of Genova Heights,’ verses and choruses swing wildly around through techno-lite pop and eloquent, string-induced passages. There are moments of pop ingenuity, like the culturally influenced ‘Bitches in Tokyo’ (take a guess) that thrives on its fuzzy wary chorus, keeping its guitars eclectic and flavored with schmaltzy electronica. The sauntering road trip quality to ‘Midnight Coward’ gets the ball rolling into the middle section, finding a place as an instant favorite and sliding easily between girl/guy dynamics before sweeping into a quiet, affected moment (“’What is your middle name–?’ ‘How do you play the game–?’ ‘I’ll be the first to leave’”) that lifts the rug off emotions swept under it, like the internet dating ‘Personal’ that echoes pain in its piano before the characters even disappoint each other. There’s an apathetic lyricism to Millian’s performance approach in ‘Today Will Be Better, I Swear!’ that doesn’t cohere with what she’s singing, Campbell’s heartfelt performance a comfortable counterbalance.

So Bedroom is an album of dynamics and contrasts with its biggest asset its heart; chipped, cracked or broken, naivety is replaced by genuine emotion. Sometimes it’s boring and sometimes it’s endearing. It plays like the Great Depression, made up of bitter pillow talk, but its heart-caught-in-a-throat storytelling, as uninspired as it initially seems, leaves a lasting impression. Still, while relevant, even a little poignant, it is stunted by an aesthetic exterior slow to get into but harder to let go. Even so, at the end of the day, Bedroom comes off with a rich subtext and meaning, and with longer lasting appeal, this cold war might be raging long after the fire has burned out.

Jenny Hval VisceraYALL Drink From Between Our Hair
Deerhunter Halcyon DigestWavves King of the Beach
Circulatory System Signal MorningAnimal Collective Here Comes the Indian
Adam Knott EMERITUS (4)
Wake up; say good morning to / that sleepy person lying next to you / and if there's no one there, t...

plane
September 18th 2007

Stream on their myspace: http://myspace.com/stars

Also up for purchase on iTunes (since July).

Iluvatar
September 18th 2007

You stole pizza(z) from the Throwdown review! Plagiarist!

The Jungler
September 18th 2007

I saw these guys at 06's Lollapalooza and liked it but was never really all that interested in listening to an album.
Good review.

handsomerob2
September 23rd 2007

Its an excellent album. Good review too, though your rating didn't do it justice. I was surprised you didn't mention "Take Me to the Riot" or "In Our Bedroom After the War", as those are probably the two most affecting songs on the album.

plane
September 23rd 2007

Yeah, I might put 'Take Me to the Riot' in there since that's my favorite song along with Midnight Coward, but I wrote this over a month ago before I really got into it. I like the album but I can only take so much at a time before it gets old.

silverleaves
March 5th 2008

not as good as set yourself on fire but not horrible, it definitely takes longer to get into
take me to the riot, my favourite book and window bird are my favourite songs

i can't stand the chorus to genova heights

Digging: Viet Cong - Viet Cong

citizeninsane
March 5th 2008

listen to BITCHES IN TOKYO....really good lyrics imo...

March 5th 2008

Agree. This albumsuprised me alow. I really like Take Me To The Riot, The Night Starts Here and Bitches. What's their best album?

natey
March 17th 2008

I liked this album when I first heard it, but its definitely grown on me at the same time. It's really really good.

redundant4u
April 7th 2008

I absolutely love the stars, and its hard for me to imagine that everyone else doesn't feel the same. They can do no wrong in my eyes. I love every single song I have ever heard by them and could listen to them forever. I have a new favorite song by them weekly.