Absu
Tara

by jk2two USER (15 Reviews)
September 8th, 2007 | 17 replies | 10,607 views

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: US Black Metal, if that makes sense, at its best.

People are reluctant to call this band black metal as they are from the US, but they do the form justice and sound more legitamately black metal than many of the Norwegian acts nowadays...

Tara is their last (unless they have a reunion) album and because of this, it has the most tolerable production. I understand that in old school black metal it was not fashionable to have good production, but many of Absu's earlier releases have absolutely no low-end to them and it makes it a difficult listen.

Tara starts out with a self-titled intro with bag pipes and then quickly gets into the first real track Pillars of Mercy which starts in classic death/black metal style (you can actually hear the hair swinging in a circle to the double-bass (not actually))

Absu fires through 11 tracks of fierce "Norwegian-style" black metal - the tempo usually remaining at a very rapid pace, though Absu uses a more "pogo" beat than blast-beat. This works very well for their sound even if it is a departure from the genre norm (and probably a big reason why people are reluctant to lump these guys into the black metal category). This element also gives Tara, more so than their other works, a clear "punk" influence - akin to Carpathian Forest or Impaled Nazarene.

The guitar work on Tara is exceptional - particulary on A Shield with an Iron Face and Four Crossed Wands - They storm through non-stop rapid-fire riffs with more single-string noodling than power chords. This album is short on lead breaks, but one doesn't tend to miss it much as many of the songs are so thoroughly composed, they don't seem to need it.

The drums are well mixed, which is again, a rarity for Absu. Proscriptor sounds like he is hitting the drums with sledgehammers - it sounds as though there are no triggers being used here (though probably on the kick drum), but it never seems to become a wash. The bass is mixed a bit low (as always), but there is at least more low end in the mix. Absu's vocals have always struck a chord with me and they are excellent on this album as well - some may criticize the high-pitched singing vocals that come in occasionally, but this adds to the atomosphere and makes it sound all the more "old school." For the most part, the vocals are a competant black-metal "croak," and are fairly more distinguishable than most.

Absu has always been one of those bands that were full of potential, and I was always quick to snatch up their latest release to see if they have finally realized it. This being their last official album, I can say safely that it is their finest hour and definately worth a listen. The exception to this is the track Absu had on the soundtrack to Gummo : The Gold Torques of Ulaid.

Stand out tracks:

psycho888999 (5)
Absu reaches a peak....

blackmilk
September 9th 2007

People are reluctant to call this band black metal as they are from the US
Where they are from has absolutely nothing to do with it.

This review doesn't really say that much about the music. You comment on the production, guitars, drums and vocals but you really don't go into much detail. The review ends pretty abruptly and overall just feels sort of lazy.

September 9th 2007

this is only his 3rd review youre supposed to go easy on him and tell him its good eliminator

blackmilk

Great review 5/5.

now he will improve at a projected rate of 5% every day

jk2two
September 9th 2007

Criticism accepted, thanks for the feedback - I don't need my feelings protected - I'm not that insecure.

Dethtrasher

Absu fires through 11 tracks of fierce "Norwegian-style" black metal

Then I will not check this out, but I love the album cover. Decent work, but informative.

Jondur
September 10th 2007

Great album. Proscriptor gives probably the best black metal drum workout ever. Quality King Diamond type wails as well.

south_of_heaven 11
December 13th 2007

This is actually more like black/thrash.

rattlehead42147
December 13th 2007

i was just on the MA page for this contemplating if i should get The Sun of Tipareth

TheFlightOfTheNazgul
June 18th 2009

Isn't Vorago a ''stand out'' track? And what about Stone of Destiny? These are the highlights at this album... Manannan also Rules... This album is a 4.5/5 for me. I love it.

Egarran
November 24th 2009

This album is out of this world. One of my all-time favourites.

TRMshadow
January 3rd 2010

I just checked this album out today, F**king awesome.

couch
February 14th 2010

this album fucking rules

Hyperion1001
October 4th 2010

Album rules. Stone of Destiny is one of the best tracks they do.

Digging: Monolake - Interstate

leothedrummer
January 10th 2012

"Back in 2001, we released an album we called Tara. One of the songs featured on the album has a subtitle, which is called Spell One Hundred And Eighty One. Alchemically and numerologically broken down, it is one plus eight plus one, which is ten, which is also one, then why in the fuck Sputnik, WHY IN THE FUCK did I name this song Four Crossed Wands? I'm gonna tell you right now, here we go!!!"

Coketrain
November 13th 2012

Album slays for days.

Eunuch
March 17th 2014

jam for st. patricks day. bagpipes too good.