GWAR
America Must Be Destroyed

good

by jk2two USER (15 Reviews)
September 5th, 2007 | 17 replies

Release Date: 1992 | Tracklist

Review Summary: The Pivotal Album where the Anartican Gods fell from grace.

Far before Gwar became the tired joke they are now (don't get me wrong, when they come to town, I'm still going), there was America Must Be Destroyed. This album is the follow up to the still classic "Scumdogs of the Universe" and remains the pivotal point in their career. With this album Gwar found stardom through Beavis and Butthead exposure and a decently selling home video with a (choke) plot and (snicker) acting.

But apart from all of that, there was their third album: "America Must Be Destroyed." On this album Gwar takes a quasi-political stance against censorship while simultaneously penning some of the most offensive material of their career. Don't misunderstand me, I understand Gwar's intentions and I love dark humor with the best of them, but perhaps "Rock & Roll Never Felt So Good" borders on good taste...Perhaps.

The album starts off very encouraging with the high-spirited and odd time-signatured "Ham on the Bone" which demonstrates the bands newly acquired confidence, particularly in vocalist Oderous Urungus. "Crack in the Egg" quickly follows which is a heavy-groove midtempo rocker which stills finds its way onto Gwar's set lists.

The well-executed "Gor-Gor" is followed by album stand-out "Have You Seen Me" that starts out with bar-chatter, the clink of cocktail glass, and smooth loungey bassline. "Have You Seen Me" is such a significant track because it demonstrates what Gwar has spent their entire careers trying to perfect - the blend of novelty and good songwriting. So much of Gwar's catalogue (particularly after this album) were songs written to be a certain "type" ie. "a thrash song," "a glam song," "a ballad." This has served to pigeon Gwar firmly into the novelty-act catagory. "Have You Seen Me" is an exception to this because it blends the lounge-jazz feel with a sound that is absolutely Gwar at their most rockin'.

Unfortunately, Gwar saw fit to only write an EP's worth of decent material as what follow "Have You Seen Me" is song-after-song of miserable filler material. "The Morality Squad" and "America Must Be Destroyed" are two tracks that were obviously written to back their stage show, but they do not have any business being on a studio album.

From that point on, only "Blimey" and "Gilded Lily" offer any hopeful moments, but these songs probably appear better by the fact that they are surrounded by such worthless tracks as the mock-ballad "The Road Behind" and sleeper "Poor Ole Tom." Also, one can only wonder if the "Smells Like Teen Spirit" quote at the beginning of "Pussy Planet" is intentional or unintentional given the release date of this album.

AMBD is Gwar's last essential album, and it is this because of the first 4 tracks. The band begins to lose steam half way through and by the time their next album came out, they had lost any trace of being a "joke band with good songs," they had just become a joke.

Obituary The End CompleteRagnarok Diabolical Age
Sadus DTP Demo 1986Gehenna Malice
Taake TaakeMetallica Metallica
Mookid (4)
With consistent songs, chunky riffs, and a handful of hilarity, this is a monumental GWAR album...

masscows
September 5th 2007

Some of the songs on War Party are ok. Other than that I can't imagine anything in their catalog after this being good. Good review.

Willie
September 5th 2007

I liked Scumdogs, but never really gave them any attention after that album... with Gwar if you own one album you pretty much have them all.

Digging: Kenn Nardi - Dancing With the Past

Electric City
September 5th 2007

Friend of mine's father: "What are the lyrics to this heavy metal song?? They sound like they're saying GWARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Me: "lol."This Message Edited On 09.05.07

superfascist
September 5th 2007

I downloaded "The Morality Squad" and "America Must Be Destroyed" a while ago. "America Must Be Destroyed" was pretty much a boring track to listen to by itself, but "The Morality Squad" was interesting. I've always wanted to check out more of GWAR's stuff.

ToWhatEnd
September 5th 2007

I don't think I'll ever forget seeing this band live. That was nuts.

Bfhurricane
September 6th 2007

I don't think I'll ever forget seeing this band live. That was nuts.

I agree. I heard they put on crazy shows, but I had no clue how crazy they would actually get. I mean, they had a f'uckin mechanical T-Rex on stage that the singer fought. Not to mention I got soaked with all that fake blood

gasmaskman
September 6th 2007

They've come to Milwaukee 3 times (4th on the 25th of October), and I haven't missed any of them - and I don't like their music.

Wizard

19607 Comments

Excellent review. I have never listened to this, but I will check this out. I have their live album and it's pretty entertaining, especially when my buddy's and I are having beer bong night. GWARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

Digging: Full Of Hell & Merzbow - Full Of Hell & Merzbow

Crysis
September 6th 2007

GWAR is a joke, they look ridiculous.

gasmaskman
September 6th 2007

GWAR is totally serious. Just look @ their lyrics.

jk2two
September 7th 2007

Their show is impressive...or was. I've seen them three times. The first time was at a roller rink and that was rather severe. Nowadays the only point of their show is to get their audience soaked with water (fake blood) - it's like seaworld.

Confessed2005
September 7th 2007

Amusing name for an album.

WARPATH_88
September 7th 2007

Never did like these guys. They dress to freaking goofy for me. I know thats kinda the point but still.

Meatplow

I sort of like The Road Behind

Valerius
September 20th 2011

You're All Worthless and Weak. - GWAR

This album owns from start to finish and is mixed and mastered well. Very catchy riffs, with some great solos and a good bit of double bass. The lyrics are some of the most hilarious ever recorded. This album was huge when it came out, and it has withstood the test of time.

If you don't like it or don't like GWAR, too bad, this album still owns. Go back and listen to your Opeth or whatever progressive nonsense you're listening to, and meanwhile I'll headbang to GOR GOR.

Mookid
January 25th 2013

This is such a great album by these guys, probably my favorite. I love the riffs a lot, they sound crunchy and melodic all at the same time.

Think they're making a new album too, hope they do because they are still one of my favorite bands.

RIP Flattus