Dead Meadow
Feathers

by Chris Jackson USER (177 Reviews)
September 4th, 2007 | 7 replies | 3,747 views

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Fusing 60's psychedelia with hints pop and rock Dead Meadow have created the ultimate “stoner-rock” sound with their fifth studio album, Feathers. Some fans describe Dead Meadow as a mash up between classic rock acts such as The Doors and Pink Floyd; I must say that I’d agree with this. After listening to a handful of songs off of Feathers it’s apparent why so many people are comparing this quintet to numerous psychedelic bands to come out of the 60's. Acid-drenched guitar hooks, hypnotic percussion work and poppy choruses are all present conjuring many memories of how great the late 1960's were.

A key component to Dead Meadows sound is lead vocalist/songwriter Jason Simon. His slacker-esque, careless vocals drone on and on over textures of wah-wah pedals creating a very trance inducing aura. His casual, lackadaisical approach is in full effect on laid-back, hook laden pop tunes such as ”At Her Open Door” and ”Stacy’s Song”. Although Simon is known for his patented nonchalant vocal stylings he turns up the intensity on the percussion driven ”Such Hawks, Such Hounds” and the riff based rocker, ”Heaven”.

Unlike many other psychedelic revival bands Dead Meadow perfectly balance rock with psychedelia. The seven minute ”Eyeless Gaze All Eye/ Don’t Tell the River Man” starts off as your typical pop tune until it quickly changes pace into a disorienting blend of hazy guitar jamming and tribal drumming. What makes Feathers such a strong album is that it has a very cohesive sound yet it boasts so many different moods and atmospheres. The albums opener,“Let’s Jump In” is a lethargic, melancholic piece driven by trippy guitar drones while ”Get Up, Get Down” is a piercing tune which mainly consists of choppy guitar hooks and eerie background effects.

With Feathers Dead Meadow have successfully created an eerie, captivating stoner-rock album. The dreamy production captures the kaleidoscopic atmosphere brilliantly and while there is no amazing guitar virtuosity or mind bending guitar solos Feathers makes up for it with its’ hallucinogenic guitar sounds and extremely disorienting vibe. It may not be the most unique or original album but Feathers delivers the goods for anyone looking for modern psychadelic rock.

The Dead C Secret EarthJohn Coltrane Lush Life
Crystal Castles Crystal CastlesUlaan Khol I
Four Tet RingerHarmonia Musik von Harmonia
wacknizzle (5)

La Revolucion
September 4th 2007

I've had this for like 2 years but I haven't listened to it. Maybe I will.This Message Edited On 09.04.07

MassiveAttack
September 4th 2007

You said stoner-rock and I was immediately interested. If I'm a big fan of Kyuss would I enjoy this?

Zebra
September 4th 2007

This isn't like Kyuss at all. Kyuss have a much heavier, metal-esque sound while this stuff is very dreamy and psychadelic.

cometuesday
September 6th 2007

This is a great album. I don't know if I'd say they sound like the Doors and Pink Floyd, but they would fit the time period well.

dub sean
September 29th 2007

You said stoner-rock and I was immediately interested.

I'm downloading right now.

superae
January 16th 2009

feathers is a masterpiece.

wacknizzle
December 24th 2011

They're the 70's psychedelic rock band that didn't exist until now. 'Feathers' is the greatest stoner rock album of all time imo, soooo good!

Digging: Amenra - Mass V