Destroy The Runner
Saints

good

by TheSunSleeps348 USER (8 Reviews)
August 23rd, 2007 | 17 replies | 1,631 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Being a large fan of most Metalcore bands, I see the strong points in this album quite clearly. As generic as people may call it, As I La – pardon me, Destroy the Runner’s debut album ‘Saints’ ends up being a relatively good listen by the last note of yet another Metalcore melody in the ending seconds.

Right off the bat, you can already tell that this band is HEAVILY, (meaning a couple thousand tons) influenced by one of the largest bands in Metalcore, and one of my personal favorites, As I Lay Dying. You should be familiar with the terms Metalcore Riff and Breakdown if you are a Metalcore listener, and this album is packed full of both.

Most of the guitars are either simple, impressive, or both for the majority of the album, as in songs such as “From the Red” or “The Aleph”. You also won’t have to very hard to hear the double bass at parts. The one thing that isn’t always noticeable is the bass guitar. Its there, but prepare to strain your ears. But it’s the band’s first attempt to make an album, and this is a common mistake that can be looked over easily, and doesn’t take too much away from the music, unless you absolutely hate hearing the treble favored.

As for the vocals, you get decipherable screams, of course. But good screams? Yes. | Unique? Sometimes; this happens to be the large problem with this band. No, not the vocals, the generic-ness, and quite a bit of repetitiveness. Examples being the fact that there are a bunch of songs that all end in fade-out breakdowns, that end up sounding quite similar. Very similar. Back to the screaming: He defiantly does not outdo Tim Lambesis, but it really depends. Some people find Tim Lambesis’ vocals annoying or strange. In the case of Destroy the Runner, his scream is easier to listen to for some people.

As in most Metalcore, there are usually screamed verses, and sweetly-sung choruses. Considering this band is extremely generic, they do just that for about 90% of the album. It’s a good thing they know how to pull it off properly, otherwise, this album wouldn’t be half as good as it is. The clean vocals are usually catchy, and fun to listen to for the most part. His voice is “higher”, but not that of an Underoath or Funeral for a Friend Post-Hardcore style vocals, to be stereotypical.

Typically, the album has quite a few down points. I already mentioned the generic ness and repetitiveness, but another weak thing about the album is that you will find yourself mainly listening to the first half of the album, (ending with “From the Red”). So the album starts off quite strong with “My Darkness”, and keeps it up with “Columbia”, “Saints” (being my least favorite of the first half), “The Aleph”, “Thoughts in Reverse”, and “From the Red”. After this point, you lose interest in most of the other tracks. So as for album structure, they might have wanted to spread out the ‘multiple-listens’ tracks a bit more, so you actually listen to the others, and get a better experience from the album.

Lyrical wise, this band keeps it clean in the language way, so no parental-advisory there. They end up being very-uplifting at points. But as some points, just plain and considerably average.

As for the emotion on the album, again, quite uplifting. At other points, it can be somewhat angry, as shown on “Thoughts in Reverse”. Other than that, its what you would expect from Metalcore.

Pros:
-Catchy
-Good melodies
-Good instrumentation.

Cons:
-REALLY generic
-Why not just name the band As I Lay Dying?
-Repetitive

At the end of the album, its worth the time to listen to, and some songs will, guaranteed, be stuck in your head. Although it does not do its fellow band As I Lay Dying, I didn’t much expect it to. It’s quite a good listen, and defiantly worth some downloads. Thanks for reading

Recommended Songs:
My Darkness
Columbia
The Aleph
Thoughts in Reverse
From the Red

-The Sun Sleeps.

Emarosa This is Your Way OutKillswitch Engage Alive or Just Breathing
All That Remains The Fall of IdealsAlexisonfire Watch Out!
Underoath Define the Great LineDark Tranquillity Character
3.1
good
Michael Roberts (3)

I, Lucifer

August 23rd 2007

Damn, looks like a longer reveiw when its on Word.

Crysis
August 23rd 2007

Pros:
-Catchy
-Good melodies
-and a couple others..

List the couple others... looks like you were rushing.

Thanks for reading

Thats not needed either.

Yes. Unique: Sometimes;

Thats an extremely awkward phrase. This review needs proof-reading, I see lots of grammatical errors here. This Message Edited On 08.23.07

Digging: Thergothon - Stream From The Heavens

ironman4444
August 23rd 2007

OK review, the grammer was fine but seemed choppy in the fourth paragraph. The main point is if I didn't listen to ANY metalcore (wich I do) I wouldn't know what this band sounded like. You focus on putting your likes and dislike of the albums try and the neutral parts of it.This Message Edited On 08.23.07

Crysis

the grammer was fine

lmao I'm sorry but I cracked up laughing when you spelled grammar wrong. =P

August 23rd 2007

lol, I tried fixing some of the shit I messed up on.

jrowa001
August 23rd 2007

this album has some catchy songs on it

ironman4444

lol

August 23rd 2007

The fourth paragraph was meant to have a choppy-feel to it in the beginning.

kalkal50
August 23rd 2007

I was gonna laugh when you were about to say As I Lay Dying in the first paragraph, but then I realized in the second paragraph that it wasn't funny because it was a different kind of joke.

You don't mention the singers name, still you refer to him as "he". Also you compare these guys too much with As I Lay Dying.

August 24th 2007

Well they basically ARE As I Lay Dying. So if someone is gonna go listen to this band, I'm telling them you'd be better off with AILD.

ToWhatEnd
August 24th 2007

Yeah but you still could have just stuck that in at the end instead of comparing them to As I Lay Dying in 3 of the 6 main paragraphs. I think that might be what kalkal was getting at.

Knuckles
August 24th 2007

They sound like AILD because AILD's vocalist scouted them and I think he produced the album.

On a side note, they aren't good at all.

kalkal50
August 24th 2007

On a side note, they aren't good at all.

... gots to lower my rating

ninjuice
November 27th 2007

This review could be better, but I wouldn't go as far as negging it. Also, you mention how in several ways the band is generic or a copy of As I Lay Dying, so the rating should be lower.

botb
November 27th 2007

not necessarily, depending on how well they pull it off. I think they are pretty generic but they do the metalcore sound well.

Digging: Cult Leader - Nothing For Us Here

DWittisarockstar
November 27th 2007

This album is alright. It may just be me, but I don't think these guys sound anything like As I Lay Dying, who I don't like at all.

January 7th 2008

The instrumentation is way to similar.

I really gotta down my rating on this...

I gave them too much credit.