Daitro
Laisser Vivre Les Squelettes

by Andrew H. EMERITUS
August 11th, 2007 | 105 replies | 19,728 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Containing everything a good screamo album should, Laisser Vivre Les Squelettes puts Daitro at the forefront of the genre.

Despite my being a fan of the emo genre since late 2004 (when I was first introduced to it, like a lot sputnik users, with Circle Takes the Square's As the Roots Undo), owning numerous records by bands like Indian Summer, Jerome's Dream, Love Like...Electrocution, Off Minor, etc etc and even having attended a decent number of both local and international shows, I still feel like a total amateur. I guess this is just because I'm a bit slow; while all the cool kids are out discovering obscure acts from all parts of the world, I'm still getting into Orchid and Funeral Diner. Hell, even when I venture to certain parts of sputnik, it's like reading things in another language. What the hell does "cr00sh" even mean anyway?

So what do I know about Daitro? Not a lot. In fact, all I really know about them is that they're European. Judging from what I can hear of their lyrics, I'd say they're probably French but I'm not totally sure. What I am sure of, however, is that Daitro are truly forerunners in the modern emo genre.

From beginning to end, Laisser Vivre Les Squelettes is an extremely intense record. And yet, somehow, it feels a lot less chaotic than a lot of the band's American counterparts. Where a band like Ampere relies a lot more on brutality, Daitro seems to rely on melody. The twin-guitar method is implemented with considerable skill, but the guitars themselves seem to be a lot less chunky or distorted than a number of the band's peers, and considerably more crisp and sharp. Additionally, Daitro don't seem to rely so much on build-ups or crescendos as bands like Envy do, but their their music does focus on the release of tension. This is often done by way of harmony rather than dynamics, particularly when one guitar will play a single chord for a long period of time, causing a release of tension when the chord finally changes. Daitro also don't mind throwing in the occasional spoken word part, but these parts are generally set to a backing of moderate dynamics.

While Daitro are certainly an intense band musically, a good deal (perhaps the majority) of Laisser Vivre Les Squelettes' intensity comes from the band's singer. To be blunt, his vocals absolutely shred and it's not necessary to understand his language for his raw, emotional delivery to be extremely affecting. If there is one small complaint to be made, however, it's that the words and syllables he uses occasionally sound a little a clunky. This, however, rarely detracts from the catchiness of the record and is more a problem of the language barrier than anything else. In fact, that the album is so catchy is quite possibly its most impressive quality. While the opening title track is undeniably brutal, it features some high lead guitar stabs that would not be out of place on an Underoath or Sunny Day Real Estate song. It's the combination of such elements as catchiness with intensity and the interesting releases of tension that makes Laisser Vivre Les Squelettes such an impressive effort.

In my eyes, Laisser Vivre Les Squelettes has everything that a good screamo album should; it's highly interesting, intense and it oozes emotion. Add these elements to the catchiness and the pretty, clean production and you have one of the best hardcore albums of recent years. If you're a fan of such music, you owe it to yourself to check out Laisser Vivre Les Squelettes.

Pros
Intense screaming
Interesting use of instruments
Good production

Cons
Some cumbersome syllables in the lyrics

Recommended Tracks
Laisser Vivre Les Squelettes
Nous Sommes D'ici
Pourquoi Les Inconnus Restent-Ils Onconnus?

Final Rating: 4.5/5

White Suns Waking in the ReservoirPurplene Purplene
Quiet Steps Think AloudGrinderman Grinderman 2
Jakob DominionNorma Jean Meridional

August 12th 2007

Heard these guys for the first time last week at a show. Got this album and it is really good. Nice review.

ouchhhhhhhhhhhhh.

But it's still a great review besides that. I have Des Cendres, Je Me Consumme and that rules, so I think I'll check this out sooner or later.

antihippy

:eek:

i was planning to do this! :mad:

very well written though. you put it much better than i would ever have.

August 12th 2007

heh, that's what it sounds like to me. Other might/will probably disagree. Thanks.

This is my review a random album submission, by the way.

August 12th 2007

Is their 1st lp as good as this?

August 12th 2007

Someone can probably tell you, but I don't really know much about this band.

I liked this album so much that after hearing it once for review a random album, I ordered it from an Australian distro. For $10!

GleamInRanks
August 12th 2007

Ha, I listened to this earlier today and it's a great album. Good review and such. I need to give Des Cendres, Je Me Consumme a listen soon.

August 12th 2007

These guys were very nice and the singer even put up with me asking him pronunciations of certain things haha.

Put some mp3s up.

link?

cbmartinez
August 12th 2007

Awesome album, awesome review.

antihippy
August 12th 2007

this album is very good.

cbmartinez
August 12th 2007

I like Sed Non Satiata's album more than this, to be honest though.

pixiesfanyo
August 12th 2007

Their debut and split with Raein and split with Ampere are probably better than this. Great band none the less and certainly up there with Sed Non Satiata as the best european screamo group. Nice review and whats wrong with sounding like SDRE dick fucks?

August 12th 2007

Yeah the SDRE comment wasn't meant to be negative.

Abaddon2005
August 12th 2007

This is pretty good, and yes they're French.

Apocalyptic Raids
August 12th 2007

Nice review, I might check this out. I've got their split with Ampere and I really like their track.

Justanothernimrod
August 12th 2007

this genre tends to bore me nowadays (funny, given I'm in a band of it) but I'll give it a listen =]

good review though!

August 12th 2007

I love SDRE. I do not like Underoath. Seeing them together in a sentence, I did not like.