Red Hot Chili Peppers
Greatest Hits

by Mr-R USER (1 Reviews)
January 16th, 2005 | 45 replies | 9,382 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

I saw the review that has already been done for the Red Hot Chili Peppers greatest hits CD, but I am going to do the "Red Hot Chili Peppers Greatest Hits and Videos" collection, There is a difference, so I do not believe that I am breaking the no copy reviews rule that I saw in the rules section, not to mention that the first review wasnt very detailed anyways, so maybe I can be of more assistance

Song #1: Under The Bridge
This is an extremely difficult song to play, if your not an avid fingerpicker, like me (lord knows Ive tryed) and the fact that I cant play it only makes me respect it that much more, this song is a masterpiece of Anthony's, with a nice easy flowing chord progression, and powerful lyrics, some rumors have surfaced that this song is actually about doing heroin, I am not to sure about this, but other than that, opinions suggest that this is RHCP's greatist song
I give this song a 9.9 out of 10 (only because I dont believe in a perfect song)

Song #2: Give It Away
This song is an excellent example of Flea's original bass style, however it is fairly lacking as far as lyrics go, they are almost complete nonsense, however, it is nonsense that is assembled very well with an australian native feel to it.
I give this song a 9.3 out of 10

Song #3: Californication
This is one of my personal favorite songs, it has a nice chord progression, and very powerful lyrics, it is about how Hollywood is creating a fantasy land and how people are buying into the fake world of television and movies, and commercialization of everything. It also adresses the mainstream radio crowd talking about how Kurt Cobain is singing the same stuff from station to station (remember the time period that this was made in, so I dont confuse anyone)
I give this song a 9.5 out of 10

Song #4: Scar Tissue
Anthony uses a bit of a southern draw on this song, which has a subtle Tom Pettyish feel to it, It is actually a fairly depressing Song that mentions a bunch of injuries, this is also a song that I really like to listen to, because it is nice and easy going
I give this song a 9.7 out of 10

Song #5: Soul To Squeeze
Nice Chord progression with an interesting drum rythm on this sad, sad song this song depresses me when ever I hear it, that is how powerful I find this song, the chorus line "Where I go I just don't know, I got to gotta take it slow" gives the feeling of being lost in a world as if you were homeless, this is another one of Anthony's more brilliant songs
I give this song a 9.4 out of 10

Song #6: Otherside
This song starts out with strong vocals overpowering the meager yet interesting guitar riff, then you hear a cymbal, and it bursts into a much faster tempo, with a backing drum rythm all together, and sounds really cool
I give this song a 8.7 out of 10

Song #7: Suck My Kiss
This song sirens back to RHCP's more funky days, with an elaborate bassline, syncopated vocals, and varying tempos, If you are a fan of old school RHCP then you will probably like this song, but if you are a fan of their newer more mainstream stuff, then this will probably be a skipped track for you, its definately good, and worth a listen or few but not one of RHCPs best.
I give this song a 8.3 out of 10

Song #8: By The Way
this song is one of RHCPs most interesting, it is like a mix between Grunge, Funk, and Metal, it starts off with the chorus, which is actually kind of different, and neat, then it turns into a crazy bass line and fast drum rythm with random words, just kind of thrown in, it is a great showcase of Flea's Bass talents, I highly recommend this song.
I give this song a 9.2 out of 10 (if not for quality, then for originality at least)

Song #9: Parallel Universe
This song has an almost ambient guitar riff, that seems to pulsate as you listen to it, it seems to be about looking deep into your mind and what you can figure out from doing so (If I am wrong here, then please correct me)
very fast with some deep lyrics a definate song to look out for.
I give this song an 8.6 out of 10

Song #10: Breaking The Girl
Good acoustic sound and chord progression, and backing vocals to this song, but other than that I cant say to much about this fairly average song, its really not that great, I would still listen to it at least once.
I give this song a 7.5 out of 10 (I would give it a 7, but I think that it deserved an extra .5 for the excellent use of trash)

Song #11: My Friends
This song starts off kind of shaky but quickly recooperates, this song is about the importance of friendship, and having their backs, and knowing that they've got yours, this is a good acoustic sounding song with a nice solo, and great vocal range.
I give this song an 8 out of 10

Song #12: Higher Ground
This song is written by the blind master of funk Stevie Wonder, and showcases Flea with a classic bass line, with wah pedals and all, the vocals are recorded kind of shoddily mostly due to the era, but other than that, this is a pretty good song, and if you like a good bassline then this is the song for you, as long as you don't mind the almost sickeningly sweet message.
I give this song a 8.5 out of 10

Song #13: Universally Speaking
This is one of the lamest songs on the CD, I don't know why they even put it on the greatest hits CD when they could have room for the Zephyr Song or Can't Stop, this song deserves to be skipped, but that is just my opinion you can decide for yourself.
I give this song a 3.5 out of 10

Song #14: Road Trippin'
This song is a great fingerpicked acoustic song, with a neat storyline, this is another really impressively written songs, it has great vocal harmonies, and what sounds like violins in the background at some parts, also has an awesome chord progressiong which is basically the RHCP equivillent of the chord progression in songs such as "Blackbird" and "Stairway To Heaven"
I give this song a 9.6 out of 10

Song #15: Fortune Faded
This song has a mixture of a guitar riff Reminiscent to the 80's hair metal, and a bass line that sounds like its straight out of the 70's, it is a very good sound actually, I really like it.
I give this song a 7 out of 10

Song #16: Save the Population
This song has a lot of high end guitar, with a nice backing drum beat, the vocals have a really nice varying of speeds, showcasing some of Anthony's syncopated styles and his ghostly sounding extended notes, good song, worth a listen, but not really amazing.
I give this song an 8 out of 10

This Greatest Hits CD also comes with a DVD that has almost all of RHCPs videos, I really dont feel like going through and reviewing all of the videos one by one right now, so I'll list them all for you, and put * next to the ones that I would reccommend.

Higher Ground *(just for the stuffed animal pants that flea is wearing in it)
Suck My Kiss
Give It away *
Under the Bridge
Soul To Squeeze *
Aeroplane (this video is just plain stupid)
My Friends

Flea: Bass Guitar
John Frusciante: Guitar
Chad Smith: Drums

I give this CD a 5 out of 5 stars
and that is all for my first review, tell me what you think. :thumb:

Luke M. Jenkins (Confessed) (3.5)
RHCP released a fine compilation of hits spanning a fair few of their more commercially successful r...

CombatWombat3
December 26th 2004

Absolutely awesome. I love this CD so much. I'm listening to it right now (higher ground). The only thing i have a problem with is your rating for universally speaking. I think it is a wonderful song, and it sometimes a refreshing change from some of the earlier RHCP stuff.

Great review all around.

keep on phishin'

Great first review. :thumb:

December 26th 2004

[QUOTE=keep on phishin']Great first review. :thumb:

I never bought this because I had most of these songs on other albums, but it is still a great collection of songs. My only complaint is that I wish they had put more of their older, less popular, but still good songs. But thats a greatest hits for ya'.[/QUOTE]

as for the older, less popular songs, you should check out RHCP's first hits CD "What Hits?"
it has songs like "Catholic School Girls Rule", and "Fight Like a Brave"

look into it if you dont already have it

keep on phishin'
December 26th 2004

[QUOTE=Mr-R]This is a worthy buy even if you do have most of the songs on other CDs, just because of the DVD, it is an excellent DVD
it has songs like "Catholic School Girls Rule", and "Fight Like a Brave"

look into it if you dont already have it[/QUOTE]

December 27th 2004

[QUOTE=keep on phishin']I don't think I would buy that either because I have all of the albums except for one, it would just be a waste of money.[/QUOTE]

Well I guess that makes sence to me, enjoy your other CD's then, and if you dont mind me asking, which one are you missing?

juggalotricksta
December 28th 2004

I was excited for this one to drop. I thought it was a good move from RHCP. Awesome job for a first review, only I wouldnt have classified them as metal. Maybe funk/alternative. But maybe its just me. And I would have rated Suck My Kiss a little higher.

Under the Bridge is one of the best songs ever written. :thumb:

superpeer
December 28th 2004

'Greatest', perhaps?

EDIT : /me edits title

The Ashtray Girl
December 29th 2004

Nice review, especially for a first one. I bought this album even though I already own all the albums it covers :lame: and I do like listening to all the songs together sometimes. The videos bit was a nice touch, especially when you can see how they were all made.

Mozzletoffed
December 29th 2004

not a huge fan,but good review

r0ck0n0rdie

December 29th 2004

[QUOTE=r0ck0n0rdie]good review. totally agree with a lot of your opinions. one thing though, in 'Breaking The Girl' there is no cowbell. the part where it sounds like there may be a cowbell was actually recorded using old pipes and car parts and stuff from the trash![/QUOTE]

Why thank you very much for that info about what I thought was a cowbell.
/me edits post

spam man
January 27th 2005

I got this cd mainly for the dvd, and the 3 songs on it that aren't on any othe rhcp albums (Soul to Squeeze, Fortune Faded and Save the Population) and i love it

Great review, and Under the Bridge is actually about heroin, and drug addiction in general.

sobelecta
February 9th 2005

I'm listening to it now. It's great for people like me who can't afford all the albums.

pepperhead
April 11th 2005

great review but on Californication how can it be about kurt cobain singing the same stuff from station to station when it was written around '98-'99 and kurt cobain had already died by then

red_hot_chillis_rule
April 18th 2005

its an awsome cd i love every song on it especially in my opinon the best song ever produced from the rhcp's californication, also the dvd is really good i wish they would come 2 australia now overall a 10/10 chilli peppers r an awesome band :D:D:D

sidewinder_66
April 18th 2005

EXCELLENT one word to sum up this album. it has all the great chilis song like under the bridge and otherside but it also has some of my favourites like suck my kiss. All the songs on this album rock and i would love 2 see them come 2 australia :D:D:D

Jawaharal
May 13th 2005

under the bridge isn't really hard to play....... I could play it after a year I started guitar

Dragon_Prince
May 23rd 2005

nice cd I listen too it rarely a shame that: Can't Stopm, The Zephyr Songs, Venice Queen and This Velvet Glove aren't on it

Fandango
June 5th 2005

good review, although I can play under the bridge easily and am only 13, shame on you! :P

Hugh Jass
September 2nd 2005

It lives up to it's name. But Universally Speaking? Why? Can't Stop should replace it.