Liberation

by Dancin' Man USER (40 Reviews)
January 16th, 2005 | 43 replies | 6,473 views

Release Date: 2003 | Tracklist

1349 is a black metal band from Norway. Two things you notice right away are speed and production. Very fast and poor production. I like one and not the other. The drumming is a big plus. Very fast and aggressive. This is tr00 n3cr0 gr|m raw black metal with no “if"s “and"s or “but"s. 1349 is the year the black plague hit Norway explaining the name.
Released in 2003 on Candlelight records.

Members
Ravn - vocals
Frost - drums
Tjalve – guitars
Archaon – guitars
Seidemann – bass
The album clocks in at just under 40 minutes making it shorter than I like any album to be.

The album begins with the mellowest part of the entire thing. A feedback/machine sound build before launching into Manifest. This song is probably the mellowest overall. A galloping drum part keeps it interesting. The production annoys me. This is a common theme through the entire album. I suppose it wouldn’t be as “tr00" if it were clear. In any case, this is probably my favorite song.

This band does have a lot of melody. You can often hear some great driving guitar parts but the poor production really takes away. The vocals are the one thing that really benefits from the fuzz on top of everything. They come out sounding great, although you can’t understand what he says. It makes him sound like a machine yelling at you and it is great.

Frost is a great drummer. He doesn’t just play with speed. He does great work with accents to keep the music interesting and does some nice fills. If the production were cleaner, you would be able to hear his parts better which I would love.

Satanic Propoganda has probably the best production because there is no distortion at the beginning of the song. The trouble is, it’s just not as good a song as many of the others.

Liberation probably has the best guitar work on the album. Good song and it has a nice break from the audio onslaught in the middle and slows down to an almost doom metal speed. It is followed by Buried by Time and Dust which has some of the best atmosphere of any song on the album. Two best songs right in a row.

Recommended tracks:
Manifest
Pitch Black
Liberation
Buried by Time and Dust

Conclusion
I liked this album better than I thought I would. The production is a major concern for me and although I know it is a selling point for some people, for me I like to be able to separate all the parts. I like pop albums with their over production. I especially like it on metal records that are fast because it makes everything more impressive. Poor production seems like a cover-up sort of like how bad guitarists use too much distortion.

Rating
3.8/10
(before production)
3/5 (After production)

Verse AggressionTool 10,000 Days
Found Dead Hanging Dulling Occam's RazorJob for a Cowboy Doom
Me and Him Call It Us The (C:) Drive Of Love StoriesEphel Duath The Painter's Palette
3.3
RupturedSpleen (4)
Fast, Raw, Violent...

Well_Respected_Man
December 24th 2004

I love horrible production, is this worth my time?

BoboTheRagingHobo
December 24th 2004

Good album and such, but you should mention that Buried by Time and Dust is a Mayhem cover.

These guys are good, they are up there with Darkthrone in the whole extremely raw, cut to the bone production black metal.

[QUOTE=Well_Respected_Man]I love horrible production, is this worth my time?[/QUOTE]

If you like black metal, then yes. If you haven't heard black metal, then I don't think you get what bad production means. bad production = recorded on a 4 or 8 track recorded, recorded and no production means at all. They record it in a crappy studio and just slap it straight to a cd and call it good.

Also sometimes recorded out in like a forest or something...

December 25th 2004

My theory is that black metal bands record their stuff on answering machines.

blueyxd

[QUOTE=Fast Fingers]it wouldn’t be as “tr00” if it were clear[/QUOTE]
I know this a feature of lots of black metal, but why?

If they wanted to get their scary or whatever messages across, all they need is a well written song to do that. When it sounds like ****, it just detracts from the song, you dont even know what it's about is because it sounds so bad. This is one of the main reasons I cant listen to black metal (the other being fast drumming).

You did raise the point about them covering up stuff, I dont know if that's the case, but I'll never understand how/why it became a tradition to have awful production.

December 25th 2004

The concept of actually trying to make something bad is one that I laugh at.

This album is a 5/5

The production is so poor because it adds to the atmosphere. Most 'raw' black metal bands (Darkthrone, Mayhem, Marduk etc etc) are all about creating a cold, gr1m atmosphere, their constant non muted chords, haunting, repetitive melodies help do this, but the production in particular helps immensly

December 25th 2004

Well you can see for yourself!!!

December 25th 2004

I downloaded it, I'm going to listen to it soon, just not while everyone's in the room, I don't want to scare them.

1 Download song
2 Crank speakers
3 Play loud, satanic music and scare everyone!!

December 25th 2004

Manifest really is a good song. It makes me think of pirate metal. The galloping drums are always cool. I like Darkthrone better by the way.

Well_Respected_Man
December 25th 2004

[QUOTE=manuscriptreplica]Well you can see for yourself!!!

http://www.metalwhore.com/1349_lib.html It has Manifest up for download, which I think is the best song on the CD[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Lucida Console]- I liked it, awesome.[/FONT]

RiceMonster
December 25th 2004

Good review. This album is excellent. One of my favourite Black Metal Albums. I find the terrible production goes with the music.

December 26th 2004

The drums sound ok but everything else is quite yucky. I think you guys overexaggerated the production though. It's not that bad.

December 26th 2004

I prefer Beyond the Apocalypse because the production is better there.

Per Ardua Ad Astra
December 26th 2004

Good review, i also prefer 'Beyond the apocalypse' over this.

Frost is a beast.

Shadows
December 26th 2004

Not bad. I love this album. Sometimes when I listen to Darkthrone the production gets to me, but I never seem to mind this.

And I still have yet to get Beyond the Apocalypse...

bassaholica2004
December 27th 2004

I got BtA, and I love it. Is the production on BtA better than Liberation? If not, its not that bad, I've heard a lot worse. And Frost is great on drums, he doesn't just blast away, he adds creativity and style into his playing which is really cool, and from what I've heard so far pretty rare in BM. Also, I think its cool how they add slow parts, and change the tempo, instead of just playing the same thing over and over and over and over again.

December 27th 2004

Frost is really good. He makes Manifest the awesome song it is. Manifest is Pirate metal, I'm convinced. BtA has better production than this too.

December 27th 2004

Where do you pull 'Pirate' metal from?? There is a genre called 'Viking' metal but that can pretty much be any genre at all, but with lyrical themes that discuss old viking tales (or something, I'm not too knowledgable on the subject). Since Manifest's lyrical themes are about darkness and destiny, it cannot be Viking or 'Pirate' metal.

That said, it's a rockin' song

bassaholica2004
December 28th 2004

Anyone played the Curse of Monkey Island game? When they're on the ship and the crew is singing, thats what I always picture when I hear Pirate Metal :lol:.

Anyways, weren't the Vikings kinda pirates? They used ships to get around, plundered the Europeans, and liked gold. I read somewhere that Vikings were pirates, but I dunno.