John Mayer
Room for Squares

by Phunphone USER (4 Reviews)
January 16th, 2005 | 31 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Two years after his mainly acoustic release ďInside Wants Out", John Mayer returned with a more complete album, called ďRoom for Squares". The album became huge thanks to the massive radio hit ďYour Body Is A Wonderland". This song was how I learned of the talented Mr. Mayer. I expected something really cheesy and boring, but when I listened to the song, the chorus got stuck in my head, and the bridge riff amazed me. It totally represented Mayer, a really talented musician, but so is totally intimate. Intimate enough to not to put a song in the 13th track because heís superstitious. The album itself, was far better, in my opinion, and has songs that have potential to be classics of 00ís pop/rock. Johnís guitar work is really original, with jazzy chords, catchy riffs and slaps just around everywhere. His lyrics are not something so original or shocking. But when youíre listening to the cd, you canít disagree with the things he talks about. And that was why; probably Mayer became so famous, and probably still gets the attention similar to boy bands got in the 90ís.

1) No Such Thing:
The album starts with one of Mayerís signature clever acoustic riffing. The vocals and the band enters altogether, and the first words that comes out of Mayerís mouth is: ďWelcome to the real world." It justÖ opens your eyes. Such a great intro. The song is upbeat, but tends to chill you out. The chorus contains the first lyrics I agree with Mayer ďI wanna run to the halls of my high school, I wanna scream with the top of my lungs." Then comes the bridge partÖ which I just love. ďIím invincible as long as Iím alive!!" Mayer cries out. The song ends with a bittersweet feeling. From now on, youíre totally with Mayer to the end of the cd.

2) Why Georgia:
Another acoustic intro, with another great, and simple riff. This is a sing along track. I always imagine people singing, ďI am driving 85 in a kind of morning that lasts all afternoon". The song really takes you on a ride. The chorus has the classic Mayer questioning. ďíCause I wonder sometimes about the outcome of a still, verdictless life." His falsetto there gets me every time, its put so cleverly. The song keeps progressing continuously. For a moment, Mayer is left alone with his acoustic guitar, and then, my favourite part comes. Where, the band enters with a crash, and a couple of Mayers shout: ďDonít believe me!!" Then, the song falls down, back to the starting riff. You just feel like the ride has taken you back. The song ends while Mayer starts questioning himself again. A great great track. One of my favourites.
Rating: 5/5

3) My Stupid Mouth:
John loves guitar intros. Itís easy to see why, he yet again has a very rhythmic, fun guitar part here. The song is about a break- up which is because John said some things that... he wasnít supposed to say. The lyrics seem like they have been pulled out of a phone conversation with a friend or something. It is not poetic or anything. It is intimate, daily language. The song might seem a bit dull at the start. Itís Johnís vocals that carry the song, just like it did on the 2nd track. The chorus has John going in and out of falsetto: ďIím never speaking up again." The song seems to end at some point... but a moment later.. John enters again, like he remembered something: "One more thing!" I find this part pretty funny, itís one of the reasons I like this song.

4) Your Body Is A Wonderland:
The ultimate radio classic. Starts off with a nice mellow riff over Johnís fingerpicked chord progression. Itís simple, and might seem bland. Well, itís not the pure melancholy that you need to get when listening to a John Mayer song. Itís the groove, or the beat. His music is pop oriented after all. Lyrics are about... umm... some kind of private moment? Girly parts? Way to get laid? Something along the lines of that. The song has a great breakdown. I love it; and the guitar lick over there... itís ďwonder"ful- especially tonewise.

5) Neon:
Now, this is awesome. One of the greatest and hardest riffs Iíve ever seen. And itís not just hard- itís pefectly written, and catchy. You cannot prevent your head from banging along with it. Yeah, I literally headbang to this song. It has a nice, sweeping groove all along. It is one of those simple, emotional moments for me. In the album version, the guitars are vague, which I truly love. It adds so much more atmosphere to the song. Itís a truly sing-along song (ďShe comes, and she goes like no one can. Sheís always buzzing just like neon...neon."). And has a breakdown just as great as ďYour Body Is a Wonderland" does. With all these elements, this song is nothing less than a John Mayer classic. My favourite.
Rating: 5/5

6) City Love:
This starts off straightforward with vocals. You feel like youíve missed something. Because the very first lines of the song is pretty random :"I never liked this apple much." The song surely is about love. But John seems to be uncertain of who he is in love with... New York or a girl. ďIíve got a city love" he says, which go both ways. Itís a romantic ballad sort of thing. Verse parts are stressed and groovy. The song gets loose in the chorus, which fits perfectly. There is also a nice string session in the song. My favourite part of the song is where it leads straightforward into ďCovered In Rain". Itís another song that John has wrote, and the words ďcovered in rain" is present at City Love too. Itís also basically the same chords. Then everything gets calmer and John pulls out a great solo. The verse goes in again- but a lot calmer. And then everything slowly ďfalls asleep to the sounds of sirens." And with a bam! The chorus goes in again with strings really audible. This is like the climax of the song. A complicated arrangement, and a strong track.

7) 83:
I guess Iím too biased with John Mayerís riffage. They get me everytime... like this one. Itís a bright, fun song where John imagines about being 6 years old again. We see references here about his family and child dreams and all. John has the ability to make such small things worth writing a song, which I find really intimate. This is the prime example of that. The pre- chorus and chorus has a nice use of percussion with creates a complex, danceable rhythm. Another memorable part of the song is the ending. It feels like something you can easily jam along to...and it has even more of a dance vibe, and the guitar- flute collaboration is melodic and catchy.

8) 3x5:
One of my personal favourite. The song rushes with an inevitable speed. While the speed remains constant, you feel every chord change touches you, and there are a lot ofíem. Umm.. there is actually not very much to say about it except... beware for the lyrics. IMO, this track is Johnís best lyrical work. ďIt brought me back to life" he says, well, it does bring me back to life. Open your eyes for this one. Itís not a 5/5, because it can get repetitive, and I know Iím biased about this one.

9) Love Song For No One:
This sounds like a classic American pop/ rock song. Itís really catchy and all... but the lyrics, the melody etc. is not that great- I have to admit. Itís a weak spot for the album, but itís great for a live show.
Rating: 3/5

10) Back To You:
A couple of snare drums.. and a really simple riff... but it just gets you, it gets you right away. It reminds me of U2 somehow, maybe because of the ďone melody over a chord change" formulae. Anyways, itís a song about going back to your lover whom youíve given up and all. John puts all his emotion into this one. It has lots of clichťs and all... but ingoring that, the song is simply beautiful. John has a short solo in here, and then the chorus comes in, he changes the last lyrics to ďYour will is not as strong as it used to be.", and then the song fades out with another melody. You donít realize it when you donít pay attention to the song, but itís actually a really clever way to finish this song.

11) Great Indoors:
The title is the best part of this track. The song has an ethnic feeling to it, the use of keyboards is really nice in here, sort of depresses me. Again, kudos to John for writing songs about such unimportant matters :) Other than that, itís not something too special.
Rating: 3/5

12) Not Myself:
This song always reminds me of ďMy Stupid Mouth"...it seems like a slowed- down version of ďMy Stupid Mouth". However, when the overdubbed vocals enter singing: ďWould you want me when Iím not myself?"; itís just pure excellence. John seems to have trusted on the magic of the chorus, too. There is nothing too hype on this track, and you just wait for the chorus to come again and again. It does, so donít worry.

Rating: 3.5/5

13) Track 13:
Itís an empty track. It has no music in it. Itís just 4 seconds of silence, worth a listen if you are bored.

14) St. Patrickís Day:
A great chill- out track in the end. It cries out that itís relaxing from the very start. Itís just simple strumming, simple drumming... itís all atmosphere. This, too, has some nice lyrics: ďWeíll search the sky, like children do." The song has a winter atmosphere.... and gives you the calmness of falling snow. If you pay attention, there is this clinging bell sound. You know, the one that immediately reminds you of Santa. The song is just ďfit" for the ending, you turn the power off with a good, relaxed mood.

Overall Rating: 4/5

The cd has far more insteresting tracks than ďYour Body Is A Wonderland". It proves that John Mayer is really talented, and not a Dave Matthews poser at all (most people seem to think like this, I disagree.). Itís superior to its follower ďHeavier Things". It has much more stronger tracks, but is not flexible as that one.

FriendofTheDevil70 (3.5)
Mayer tries to find his sound on his debut, but still releases a quality album of acoustic, pop infl...

SubtleDagger
December 22nd 2004

That track 13 deal was done by Fantomas long before it was done by this loser.

(If you can't tell, I despise John Mayer.)

morrissey
December 22nd 2004

I like John Mayer. I think he's done some great work with writing catchy songs, and he brings more musical talent to pop music than most. I personally think this is his best album, though I would have liked more solos ;).

Zesty Mordant
December 22nd 2004

i can't really stand the guy at all, but man, i just love neon. that song is just simply amazing and even more amazing is that he sings while playing that ridiculous little riff.

but yeah, neon f ucking rocks

Badmoon
December 22nd 2004

This is a very catchy/annoying album. My History teacher always plays it during class, and the songs always get stuck in my head .

Good review though :thumb:

SubtleDagger

[QUOTE=morrissey]
I think he's often overated by fans, and underated by those who dislike him. He writes catchy tunes, but he won't change the world.[/QUOTE]
I'm most deifnitely not underrating him. I despise him because he writes some of the most idiotic lyrics I've ever seen, and because his voice is beyond irritating.

morrissey
December 23rd 2004

sorry, I should have specified, I was talking about his guitar playing. Fans of his (ermm.. 14 year old girls :rolleyes: ) think he is a guitar god, when he clearly isn't. But he does have some skill, and is better than alot of guitarists out there. I think alot of people who hate him overlook that... I'm not saying that you do, but I've seen it alot.

I can see how he could be disliked easily though. He does have many weak lyrics (though the lyrics to "Comfortable" are some of the best SIMPLE lyrics I have read), and the voice is just an opinion. Some like it, more dislike it.

thickasabrick

good review.

one thing people don't realize about John Mayer is he is an insane blues guitarist. too many people view him as a pop singer with a guitar in his hand. but he was a blues guitarist long before he was a famous pop singer. i saw him on tv with Double Trouble (SRV's old band) on Austin City Limits and he was amazing. he played a nice strat, and did a lot of classic blues songs, SRV songs, and his own songs. it was great. he also played some duets with Buddy Guy.

if you don't like his pop stuff, search around for his blues stuff, it will blow any blues fan way.

Woodstock
December 23rd 2004

Yeah, he really is a great blues guitarist. I saw him on the Crossroads Guitar Festival, and he was fantastic. Much better than I had assumed.

Great Review.

Meteora3255
June 25th 2005

If you want to see John Mayer play his best blues guitar solos check him out when he plays with the John Scofield Band.

masada
June 25th 2005

He is a rather good guitarist. I can't say that I care for his songs, or voice, though.

Good review.

NuMetalMania
December 29th 2005

Great guitarist, he has plenty to offer has this bloke. Fair review, long. 3/5 was to low, 4/5 for my liking.

masada
January 31st 2006

Hmm... this is a solid album, but I'm not a fan of his voice, as I stated a good six months ago.

Zesty Mordant
January 31st 2006

The live album he just released under the John Mayer Trio is suprisingly good. It's a lot more blues and soul, and less adult contemporary.

Royd Rage
July 25th 2006

i have to say i liked this album. he is making a fan out of me. i don't like his "heavier things" album so much because it is just way to slow...his voice can be annoying but he can sing...i wish i could sing...damnit...

IvortheEngineDriver
August 3rd 2006

I really really like this album. It got me hooked on him. I think St. Patricks Day and Why Georgia are just breathtaking. I think he is a guitar god...very underrated due to his genre.

What is also noted is that his bassist is really damn good! Listen to what he's doing on "No Such Thing"...you would be surprised!

Patrick

^ I agree. A lot.

mx
August 3rd 2006

Whether it's cool to like him or not, this is a great album.

incubotic
August 7th 2006

This is an awesome album, I played it nonstop summer 2003. People here seem to dislike him because- hes mainstream and alot of teenage girls like him etc. which is a really immature reason for disliking him. The fact is

Hes a good guitarist (Hes played with BB King and Clapton etc too)
Writes very catchy songs
Decent lyricist
Decent, individual voice

Theres so many terrible bands which people give props to, John Mayer is actually a good artist who deserves alot more cerdit from rock snobs here.

Heavier Things is actually as good or better once you get into it too.

metres13