Stabbing Westward

good

by Trey Spencer STAFF
July 11th, 2007 | 4 replies

Release Date: 2001 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Stabbing Westward whole-heartedly embrace radio rock and attempt to fully break into the mainstream market.

When a band that has already released a few albums decides to release a self-titled album it’s generally the first sign that they’re attempting to redefine themselves and change their sound (Metallica, for example). Shortly before this album was released an interview with Chris Hall (vocals) prepared everyone for the changes that they should expect to hear. He spoke about how Stabbing Westward wrote such great pop-rock songs but that they had always ended up making them ugly by adding effects, screaming, etc. On this album, he warned, they decided to write what they wanted regardless of fan expectations.

The self-titled album they released on unsuspecting fans featured a radical departure from even their most radio-friendly songs of the past. The emotion in Chris Hall’s voice was still present and the same lyrical ideas were still being used, but without any anger or aggression and with a whole lot more vulnerability. Also, the industrial influences of the past were almost entirely wiped away (with the song "Television" being the sole exception), and were replaced with actual keyboard melodies and sounds. Like a lot of fans, I hated this album when I first heard it. It wasn’t what I expected - it was too poppy and it was so catchy. They had replaced the anger and despair of the first three albums with hurt and regret and I wasn’t having it.

After a year or so, I threw it back on and listened to it on its own merit and was surprised to find that I liked what I was hearing. Within the first minute of the first track, you can tell that this isn’t the same Stabbing Westward that had released Darkest Days a few years prior. This was subdued, melodic and safe. Musically the raging guitars had been dulled down to radio friendly levels and the electronics had been dropped completely. On past albums there was always an emphasis on having a catchy chorus but now it seemed like it was the central focus of the songs. Even more surprising to fans would be the eventual realization that the opening track is the closest thing to the past that they were going to get.

The next few tracks only reinforced the idea that this album was ushering in a changed band with "Perfect,” "I Remember" and "Wasted" coming off as even more subdued and melodic than the opener. These songs dropped the distorted guitar completely and replaced it with clean-sounding electric guitars as well as an abundance of acoustic guitars. Chris Hall’s vocals also didn’t have any anger in them at all. They sounded depressed, as if all the fight had finally been taken out of him. After those tracks comes the only song from Stabbing Westward I’ve ever truly disliked; "Happy". It is just far too upbeat and they didn't pull off that vibe at all. The main reason they failed with this song is that the music is so poppy and happy and the lyrics are depressing. The problem is that they don’t successfully make those two elements work together and it ruins the song.

With all the changes since their last album, what's left is a catchy album that has more in common with Goo Goo Dolls and Tonic than the industrialized influences of their past. Almost entirely gone are the distorted, dark guitars, replaced with acoustic guitars and an overall warmer electric guitar sound. Also, Chris sings through the entire album without any yelling at all. Only his ability to convey emotion, and the slight edge still retained on a few songs stands between them and becoming just another Goo Goo Dolls or Tonic of the music world. So, if you liked the single "What Do I Have to Do" off of Stabbing Westward’s second album but thought everything else was too dark or heavy than this is the album that you’re looking for. For everyone else that were already fans, go into this album with an open mind and you’ll discover a pretty good album.

Kenn Nardi Dancing With the PastSick of It All The Last Act of Defiance
Meshuggah I (Special Edition)Cannibal Corpse A Skeletal Domain
Rabbit Junk Pop That Pretty ThirtyAnathema Distant Satellites
2.8
good
pacedown (3.5)
A more delicate stabbing, feels more than OK....

CushMG15
July 11th 2007

I actually think this was a smart move from them, because I really don't think they were going to be able to top Darkest Days if they stayed in the same vein. There are some very solid songs on this, but still a bit of filler. All in all tho, a very good album and a great closer for them.

Oh yeah, the review is a good start, but some more detail as to the sound of the album would be good. And you should change the title of the album to "Stabbing Westward" instead of "Self titled"This Message Edited On 07.11.07

Willie
July 11th 2007

I don't know if they would have been able to top Darkest Days, but at the time I would have loved for them to have tried. In hindsight, this is still a good album for them though.

Oh, changed the album title, but will have to add more detail a little later possibly.

Digging: Mors Principium Est - Dawn Of The 5th Era

samthebassman
July 11th 2007

They peaked with Darkest Days, which was still not great, but this was a huge let down.

Willie
July 12th 2007

I felt the same way about it for the longest time... I'd like to think I've just got a more open mind about it now, but maybe I'm just mellowing out ;)