Quicksand

good

by John weathered old reviewer Hanson STAFF
June 26th, 2007 | 13 replies

Release Date: 1995 | Tracklist

Review Summary: A good record, but basically a re-worked version of "Slip."

Apparently, I’m missing some kind of revelation when it comes to Quicksand. A “pioneering” post-hardcore band, they were part of the first real “wave” of it (yayaya Husker Du blah blah blah shut up), along with Fugazi, Drive Like Jehu, Helmet, and Nation of Ulysses. Like all of those bands their debut record is widely regarded as a masterpiece of the genre, and one of the most influential punk records of the early 90’s. However, every other one of those bands released sophomore records that built upon their debuts and resulted in even more spectacular efforts. Quicksand? Well they tried, but all that really ended up happening is they mixed things up a bit without making anything new.

What made Quicksand’s debut Slip so damn great was how brutal it was. It was heavier than pretty much anything their peers had produced, and Manic Compression attempts to follow in that same path, albeit with less emphasis on angular guitar noise and more melodic moments. When the band succeeds they definitely succeed hard; “Thorn In My Side” is a blistering track that combines the noisy-ness they previously epitomized with more melodic and less sludgy instrumentals. “Supergenius” is mega-catchy and still edgy, and gives a good indicator of where Quicksand would have went had they continued.

However, I cant help but feel this was the transition record towards something greater that just never appeared. For every new, interesting approach to songwriting they took on this record, theres two examples of plain rehashing from previous material. “Blister” is a good song, but it feels a little to similar to “Omission” for my tastes. The unfortunate part is that’s where most of the album ends up; filled with good songs that just aren’t any kind of marked improvements over anything on Slip. In fact, the only song that is outright below-par is closer “It Would Be Cooler If”, which meanders arund for 6+ minutes; its just that everything else eels like a reworking of an older song.

Manic Compression had the makings to be just as good a record as Slip undoubtedly. The songs are slightly tighter and everything is more digestible. However, they seemed to restrain themselves from restraining themselves; you’re left wishing they would either go full-out again or stick to being a melodic post-hardcore/grunge band. As it is, Manic Compression is a very good album chock full of songs t rock the fuck out too. It’s just not anything that special.

Say Anything HebrewsWashboard Leo Thomas Louisiana Bluegrass
Crusades Perhaps You Deliver This Judgement...Against Me! Transgender Dysphoria Blues
Los Campesinos! No BluesArcade Fire Reflektor
(4.5)
Skillful instrumentation, combined with the yin/yang of controlled abrasion, lets the band realize i...

Iluvatar
June 26th 2007

Shrt and sub-par due t extreme techical diiculties. This album was really just a pale image of Slip and a faint indicatr of what culd have been. Its status as a classic by critics bggles me when yu cmpare it t Slip r any ther pst-hardcre recrd rm this time perid.
^^^ Indicatr the diiculties I had in writing this review keybard-wise.

iarescientists
June 26th 2007

nt bad. Shuld I get slip?

Iluvatar
June 26th 2007

Slip is a great album. Yes.

The Jungler
June 26th 2007

Review is good, I wouldn't have known you had any technical difficulties if you hadn't said it.
I'll probably end up listening to some Quicksand some time in the future. They sound like they could be good.

GleamInRanks
June 26th 2007

This didn't have any reviews for a long time, thats why I recommended it, then it gets one the same day you were going to submit it, whatupwitdat? Anyways, cool review. I agree with it mostly. I still need to hear Slip thoughThis Message Edited On 06.26.07

tom79

Great album.

Digging: Business Models - Room

slep
June 26th 2007

Looks like a cool album, but I'll get Slip before this.

pixiesfanyo

They sound like Tool TBH

MeowMeow
June 27th 2007

Slip is quite a great album. This I agree with you on. It really is just them trying to write Slip again. I actually didn't listen to the entire album. If I want to listen to Slip, I'll actually listen to Slip.

Aficionado
June 27th 2007

Disagree with your rating...there's so much more to the record than you say. If only I could neg staff reviews. Pixiesfan, Quicksand is one of the bands that shaped the sound of Tool. This Message Edited On 08.09.07

grrbunny
June 27th 2007

hey john you are missing an o at the end of the review, i believe it is the last sentence...but i thought it was a good review.

grrbunny
June 27th 2007

lol, im kidding bout the o.

Fort23
June 29th 2007

I like this though it's nowhere near as good as Slip.