Ghostface Killah
Ironman

by The Door Mouse USER (29 Reviews)
June 20th, 2007 | 76 replies | 21,630 views

Release Date: 1996 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Ghostface comes at you with and agressive delivery and sadistic lyrics

In the early to mid nineties, hip-hop collective Wu-Tang Clan were east coast hip-hop masters. Their infallible 9-man roster proved them selves as hip-hop gods after their platinum record 36 Chambers topped the charts due to each MC showing extreme power and not a shade of weakness. When they decided to each make their own albums they were extremely well recognized as 36 Chambers was. GZA’s Liquid Swords, Method Man’s Tical and Raekwon’s Only Built for Cuban Linx…. Among those albums comes MC Ghostface Killah’s debut Ironman with many appearances by fellow Wu-Tang MCs.

Like the rest of the Wu-Tang albums this one starts with a clip from a B-movie. This one features a young, later mentioned, 13 year old’s voice showing courage against a bigger and obviously more dominant force which foreshadows the mood for the rest of the album as being a gloomy and sadistic album without showing any upbeat signs or anything which makes enjoying the album completely dependant on your mood. If you have some youth in your step that day than this album wouldn’t really fit the bill too well.

What separates this from today’s hip-hop (which has disappointed in most cases) is their indestructible delivery. Every verse no matter who is rapping, whether it is the commonly shown RZA, Raekwon or Cappadonna, relentlessly pound their rhymes in to your head mercilessly, with bone crushing stanzas and a ruthless attitude. Every word spoken shows an aggressive mood and seemingly cannot be stopped by anything. With this intensity also comes a very soul driven production effort from RZA. This intense style is especially shown in Fish and Camay. These songs are usually driven by a rhythmic drumbeat and harmonized by a smooth, jazzy bassline. If not those background contributors, than it will be backed by female gospel voices and dark, soft horns and keyboards. Even in the ballad All That I Got is You, Ghostface still shows as much intensity as a ballad can. This is a chance for Ghostface to step back from the norm and gets to turn the volume down on his aggressiveness for just a bit. Backed by artificial violin and Mary J. Blige’s beautiful, soft voice fit perfectly with the depressing lyrics of Ghostface’s growing up.

The lyrics are the only area where I am let down. Don’t get me wrong, they are terrific every once in a while, but they tend to be redundant and clichéd. They are usually gory or sex oriented with a string of songs about his wife/girlfriend cheating on him, some about gang violence and some, mentioned above, about hard times growing up. They use some clever rhymes but they in no way shape or form break any new ground.

So with that Ghostface and other Wu-Tang members accompany him with his debut solo album. This set the tone for this rapper’s successful career, which most recently busted open in 2006 with two well received albums More Fish and [b]Fishscale[/b All in all, this album shows how valuable he was to Wu-Tang Clan.

Okkervil River The Stage NamesPrefuse 73 One Word Extinguisher
Explosions in the Sky All of a Sudden, I Miss EveryoneSpoon Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
Dream Theater Train of ThoughtScott Joplin The Entertainer (Fine Tune Gold Collection)

**** even the review got double posted!!This Message Edited On 06.20.07

pulseczar
June 20th 2007

sorry i never sent you those revisions, got caught up in exams. ill post a couple of them now though:
1. Wu-tang weren't immediate platinum hits or chart toppers, they were huge underground at first and gradually gained more and more attention, their first album went platinum in 1995, 2 years after it was released.
2. Explain that this was a departure from other wu releases. this is very soul-oriented, but they were known for raw, grimey, sinister beats.
3. elaborate on what a typical ghost/wu song is like e.g. rarely have choruses, very lyrically oriented with rapping delivered at a relentless pace by different members. you explained it pretty well, though.
4. calling the lyrics "sadistic" is a bit too far. he's presenting mostly realistic scenarios, themes and stories, and he's not really exaggerating to make it sadistic. a better word we probably be stark, or morbid.

Zmev
June 20th 2007

What separates this from today’s hip-hop (which has disappointed in most cases)

o rly

In most cases.

But I suppose that that is a bit exagerated

La Revolucion

Yeah no kidding.

June 20th 2007

but zep you don't listen to new hiphop

MeowMeow
June 20th 2007

Fishscale is awesome so I'm going to have to get this.

2092 Comments

May I please get an explanation as to why this was negged twice?

metallicaman8
June 21st 2007

Well, as Pulseczar pointed out in #1 there were some factual errors. Also, a few things were awkwardly worded, or didn't entirely make sense.

MC showed extreme dominance

This is one of the things that didn't entirely make sense. Each MC couldn't have showed extreme dominance because for someone to dominate someone else must be dominated. So, all of the MCs couldn't have shown extreme dominance because that would mean they're equal with eachother and thusly not dominating.

were too extremely well recognized

That's awkward wording. I shouldn't need to explain why.

Anywho, all that being said I'm not one of the two people who negged you (nor pos'd you however). The two things I pointed out aren't really that big a deal and overall the review wasn't bad. Just telling why people may have negged you.

2092 Comments

Thanks. I can see how those are a bit awkward. It's just a frustrating when you get negged without an explanation.

Ephex
June 22nd 2007

Hahaha

June 23rd 2007

zepdude your writing makes me lol a lot

June 23rd 2007

2092 Comments

That's why I do it chan. But if you're basing that off of my sound off than I agree with you, I think I'm going to delete that right now.

FriendofTheDevil70
June 30th 2007

This is a great album. One of the best from any Wu Tang Clan member.

plane
July 21st 2008

Been listening to this a lot lately. "260" is great.

brandtweathers
July 21st 2008

2007 Comments

^friendofthedevil
imo its liquid swords. oh liquid swords.

Hollow
March 30th 2009

Got this recently and I can't say any bad tracks on it, some are medicore but mostly good, Ghostface is really one of the most talented Wu emcees.

Ubicuo
August 29th 2009

i remember riding my bike from work 10 years ago listening to "black Jesus" feeling like a superhero. i used to rock a Wu-Tang piece on my chain when i was 16 thanks to my bag boy job at Winn Dixie. i was pissed when i lost that baby ...

bastard
September 12th 2009

Winter Warz nigga. Winter Warz

PrettyToney
March 4th 2010

Yeah winter warz is that shit.