Tokyo Police Club
A Lesson in Crime

by Kyle Ellison USER (9 Reviews)
June 20th, 2007 | 16 replies | 5,075 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Plucky Canadian Indie rockers Manage to successfully combine a loud rock dynamic with infectious pop hooks and melodies. A promising first effort from a band with much more to offer.

Whist I still find the time to be screamed at by angry Metal creatures or insulted by the latest Hip Hop sensation every once in a while, I’m getting old and my body can only handle so much of this abrasive testosterone fuelled aggression. It seems, then, that my solution is to mellow out, emigrate to Canada, perhaps learn the violin or start a small collection of glockenspiels. But, whilst all these things would be lovely, there is undoubtedly something missing from the mix and finding the right balance is an important thing. Now, whilst I could easily invite the angry metal creature to Canada with me, it’s probably not his/hers/it’s scene and wouldn’t it be just great if I could find bands that are loud and direct but with a composed and sophisticated edge? This is why Indie-Rock is my favourite genre and Tokyo Police Club are a band who do it bloody well.

You see, I mentioned this word ‘balance’ earlier and this is a skill much more precise and difficult than it might at first appear. Whilst right from the outset ‘Cheer It On’ begins with a deafening combination of bass drum and cymbal, this is soon accompanied by quirky guitar melodies and a calm and collected vocal delivery. Even as one of the EP’s loudest tracks, it’s always kept firmly in its place by an almost mechanical rhythm section. It’s this simple combination of bass and drums which allows the guitar to meander in and out of the music, never straying from it’s destination, but adding the necessary flair which makes the band interesting to listen to. Tokyo Police Club don’t do anything out of the ordinary, there are no gimmicks or real surprises, but everything just seems to work.

The influences of Canadian peers such as Broken Social Scene are apparent throughout, with cute handclaps and occasional female backing vocals, but these elements aren’t allowed to take the limelight and are carefully strung together with a glorious pop sensibility. Crafting simple yet deliciously infectious songs is what Tokyo Police Club do well, it’s only when attempting to create something more complex that they seem to falter. Not that they really attempt anything complex, but on both the concluding track ‘La Ferassie’ and ‘Citizens of Tomorrow’ there appears to be the making of a patient build up which is then suddenly scrapped and the band hit climax, as if they got bored with operating in anything less than top gear. This is kind of endearing, for now, but as the band readies themselves for the release of their first full length album, there will be a need for something different, a change of pace or at least some variation from the 7 tracks on display here.

Even despite the apparent lack of diversity A Lesson in Crime is an consistently impressive first effort. Although they have a way to go if they are to grasp their stunning potential, each song here is memorable and instantly accessible. I might be an ageing music lover, but it’s this kind of fresh hope which makes me feel young and giddy all over again.

*I’m not actually very old, just a miserable nineteen year old.

Former Ghosts FleursLos Campesinos! Sticking fingers Into Sockets

St. Vincent

Sweet. Gonna get this. :thumb:

Aficionado
June 20th 2007

I like this band...from what I've heard.

I have a friend named Kyle Ellis.

La Revolucion
June 20th 2007

Kind of an awful band, but great review.

samthebassman

Sounds promising.

Kyle
June 21st 2007

Cheers guys, I gave this the benefit of the doubt, but I reckon it's more like a 3.5 in actual fact.

June 21st 2007

I was just about to post saying the opposite! The more I listen to it, the more I reckon it's pretty close to a 4, it's really pretty sick. Thanks for reviewing it otherwise I wouldn't be listening to it right now. Ah the wonders of Sputnik.

Kyle
June 21st 2007

Ah brilliant, it's comments like that which make reviewing worthwhile.

June 21st 2007

Haha, and it's torrents that make finding new music so easy! But yeah, well in. This Message Edited On 06.21.07

IsItLuck?
July 27th 2007

very good album.

noahliquid
November 22nd 2007

The first time i listend to this band I became hooked with whiny guitar and lyrics about robots. I oredered the cd and listened too it a lot (mostly in the shower) but know the cd just gathers dust on my bookshelf. I guess what im trying to say is after a bit this band gets old.

Chewie
November 26th 2007

defenitely gunna pick this up. Indie bands need as much help as they can get so ill buy this soon, good review

Chewie
December 18th 2007

lol i guess nobodies commented since my last one but i pikced up the album and its really fun. Its great to have in the mix of punk and metal and rock and grunge. Its just kinda cool and the band doesnt try to be much and are awesome!(thumb up emoticon.)

chris21
February 27th 2008

i love this album, so simple but so good.

donaYENIE
June 28th 2008

I love the lyrics they make me both laugh and nod my head in agreement + I think the instruments are well handled and the overall sound of this band makes me feel giddy.

silverleaves
February 7th 2009

still one of my favourite EPs

cirq
September 12th 2009

When you're standin near TOKYO POLICE CLUB!