Arsis

by Channing Freeman STAFF
June 20th, 2007 | 87 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: OHHHHHHHH LET'S MAKE A DEAL

To put it bluntly, Arsis is a boring band. I’ve only heard one song of theirs that interested me (the title track from this here EP), and every other song bored me to tears. To be fair, I haven’t heard their debut album A Celebration of Guilt (I’ll get around to it), which, for all I know, could be amazing. For now though, I can only base my opinion off of what I’ve heard (United in Regret first and A Diamond for Disease second), and my opinion is that Arsis is a boring band. Many claim that they’re the only American death metal band to be doing anything interesting, yet I found just the opposite on United in Regret. Every song ran together, spiced up a bit here and there with wanky solos. I thought, if they could simply write an interesting song, they would probably be one of the best bands the genre has to offer. They had copious amounts of instrumental talent and James Malone's vocals were pretty good. The thing they lacked (and this is a very big thing) was songwriting. So when I heard the EP A Diamond for Disease, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that there was indeed a very interesting and quite amazing song on here. However, this excitement was followed by typical Arsis disappointment when I heard the other two songs.

The EP’s title track “A Diamond for Disease” is amazing. There’s simply no other way to put it. It’s thirteen minutes of ass-kicking metal and it never once gets boring. Full of interesting riffs, solos, and a catchy-as-fuck chorus that never gets old, “A Diamond for Disease” showcases what Arsis is really capable of. Every instrument is played to perfection, and James Malone’s vocals are fantastic. I can’t say enough about the track. It’s easily one of my favorite songs ever, so you can imagine my disappointment when I found that the other two songs on the EP didn’t even stand a chance of living up to the title track. “Roses on White Lace” is an Alice Cooper cover, and while I wish I could say that Arsis managed to make an Alice Cooper song interesting, it ends up being just as boring as the songs on United in Regret. “The Promise of Never” fares slightly better. It never really has the chance to become boring, as it doesn’t even reach the three minute mark, but it still isn’t very interesting. There’s nothing really inherently bad about the two tracks, but when I hear them, they merely become background music. “A Diamond for Disease” captures my full attention, never loosening the chokehold until the final notes ring out, yet the other two songs put me to sleep. It seems as if Arsis spent weeks writing and perfecting the title track and then maybe put about an hour each into the other two tracks. It’s frustrating because Arsis is very plainly capable of being so much better, yet they continually show off how good they are at wasting their talents.

After hearing United in Regret, I thought that I would never hear an interesting Arsis song. A Diamond for Disease changed that, but it also reinforced the fact that Arsis are consistently lazy songwriters. If they put as much effort into every song as they put into the title track, then they would be a force to be reckoned with. Let’s hope that they do that on their next album. This is me holding my breath.

Trophy Scars Holy VacantsThe Menzingers Rented World
La Dispute Rooms of the HouseMiley Cyrus Bangerz
Letlive. The Blackest BeautifulKanye West Yeezus
Greg Viessman (5)
Apparently Marriage Sucks....

Kalle J. (4.5)
How do you knock out an era-defining sophomore release like this?...

Shadows (4.5)

IsItLuck?
June 20th 2007

hey dipshit, good review.

June 20th 2007

i guess i'm going to start reviewing again. this review was sort of a primer, one where i could shake off the rust. short review for three songs.

masscows
June 20th 2007

I kind of agree with you on the United in Regret thing, alot of the songs are filler. Only four of them are actually good, but none of them measure up to Arsis' debut (which I don't think you'd find boring unless you are horribly biased).

If you really like the title track from this, you'll love ACOG. There's only one track on that record I'd consider to be filler (Looking to Nothing).

And they're said to be starting to track their new record this fall. Here's me holding my breath as well :x

Good review.

June 20th 2007

This has the only good Arsis song ever. But, of course, you know that already.

gay..This Message Edited On 02.27.08

June 20th 2007

emm you repeated yourself way too much in the review and you didn't even say why the tracks weren't good

June 20th 2007

This isn't his best review by any account but it's well written. Ridiculous that you negged this, seriously, absolutely ridiculous. Vengeful fanboy. This Message Edited On 06.20.07

Brain Dead
June 20th 2007

I didn't really like the review either, but I won't neg.

June 20th 2007

"Title track is good but rest are boring"

well duh

June 20th 2007

hmm i guess, but the introduction is weak and then you the kick-ass part is cool but again retains the simplicity of your introductionThis Message Edited On 06.20.07

June 20th 2007

Chan bust out some thesaurus maybe kalkal will change his vote.

June 20th 2007

well like i said this was to shake off the rust and i'm pretty well aware that it's not my best (whatever my best may be) so it's cool. i don't care much about negs or anything anymore so it's chill.

lol maybe i should put the definition of technicality and melody etc and use that as my intro that would rule!This Message Edited On 06.20.07

plane
June 20th 2007

It's a fucking EP that he is bored with. Of course he's going to repeat himself. It's short, but by no means is this not well written.

June 20th 2007

Chan bust out some thesaurus maybe kalkal will change his vote.

youre a funny guy, very funny ahahahahhaha
i wouldnt be talking, maybe I should bust out some overused american slang phrases in my reviews so ull start licking my ass, im sorry that i dont like plain texts and words that dont say shit like "pretty good"

June 20th 2007

just saying chan can do better

and its about time i also got a say here

aww snap

no no you see the review is supposed to be like the album like arsis can do better so i made the review subpar so you would say i can do better so its like hey its like arsis

...This Message Edited On 06.20.07

June 20th 2007

i wouldnt be talking, maybe I should bust out some overused american slang phrases in my reviews so ull start licking my ***, im sorry that i dont like plain texts and words that dont say **** like "pretty good"

I'm not American, and the word you're looking for is colloquialism. And just because he can do better does not mean this isnt well written. Your reasoning behind the neg was totally unjust because you stated something that was evidently not true.This Message Edited On 06.20.07

lol clever

Brain Dead
June 20th 2007

You're neg is justified well enough, but this is completely unnecessary. The fact of the matter is, you do overuse obscure synonyms in your reviews. I believe you have previously stated that english isn't your first language, and because of this, you aren't aware of the connotations of some of the words you use. Although your writing is technically correct, it sounds choppy to those of us whose native language is english (or who just know english really well). You're thesaurus abuse is also basically intellectual showboating, which you really don't need to do, because your reviews have enough content to stand on their own just fine.This Message Edited On 06.20.07

June 20th 2007

In all seriousness I just made an offhand quip poking fun at the guy, this doesn't need to get out of hand.
I think I'll go listen to ADFD after I shoot some hoops, son.