Trapt

very poor

by Ben USER (7 Reviews)
June 6th, 2007 | 5 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Trapt is one of the blandest and least talented bands currently making music, and "Someone in Control" is evidence of that.

This weekend, Trapt and Shinedown will be playing a St. Pat's concert in Rolla that has been nearly sold out, with some tickets being sold for higher than the official price. Many people see this as a good move, since two big, popular bands are coming to Rolla. As such, I'll be reviewing both bands' latest albums to give my opinion of just how good of a thing it is that they're coming to Rolla.

Trapt – Someone In Control

One of Trapt's genre descriptions is “post-grunge.” Grunge is bad enough, but POST-grunge? Is this grunge that has been allowed to stagnate, become even more formulaic, and allow “musicians” to rest on their laurels with their simplified garbage? If so, Trapt is the epitome of the genre.

Someone In Control was released in mid-2005. Let's get this out of the way before we get too far: 3 Doors Down made this CD 5 years prior to this release.

In fact, the more I listen to this album, the more I keep finding parallels to modern rock bands like 3 Doors Down, Hoobastank, and every other cookie-cutter mainstream rock band out there. It's like Trapt took a template and filled it in without any thought of creating an emotional impact. Honestly, if lines like "too out of touch to touch you," "use me to use you," and "you've gone as far as I'll go" create an emotional response in you, then I'd suggest that you go back to listening to Linkin Park; at least LP has some diversity in their music.

I cannot reiterate this enough: everything about Trapt sounds like it comes directly from a blueprint, whether it's the vocals, lyrics, or music itself. It feels like I was listening to these guys on the popular rock radio station in middle school when I was discovering rock music.

There are some good things about this album. Some of the songs are catchy. Chris Brown sounds like he's not whining more often. This album is better than Trapt's first album (which says a lot about that one).

However, that's as far as the good things go, and the bad far outweigh any good that Trapt can dredge up. For one, I can't tell which song is which. They're all basically the same formulaic verse-chorus headbangers. The lyrics are incredibly juvenile and have “vague lowest common denominator syndrome,” where they're constructed to appeal to as many people as possible at the expensive of an actual emotional impact.

Here's my advice: stay away from this band. If you enjoy diarrhea coming out of your ears, you may enjoy Trapt; if you want to hurt yourself that badly, however, a much cheaper alternative would be to buy razor blades and stick them into your eyes.

Rating: 3/10

Check Out: “Disconnected,” “Bleed Like Me”

Nine Inch Nails Year ZeroArcade Fire Neon Bible
Shinedown Us And ThemExplosions in the Sky All of a Sudden, I Miss Everyone
Mastodon Blood MountainDamien Rice 9
3.3
CasualListen (4)
Trapt can still write good catchy songs....

raggedragamuffin (4)

renegadestrings
June 6th 2007

hmmm... this might even be worse than hellyeah

ironman4444
June 6th 2007

I hated Trapt`s first release and i`m not going to buy this one. OK review, you got the main point out but theres a lack of description.

Oblivioncry
June 6th 2007

i really love the first album of trapt and this album is o.k. too, well in my opinion, but i think you are being to harsh, after all this is supposed to be easy rock music and no pink floyd.
the voice is ok, the text are as unimportant as they are mostly in this genre, but they do their job, one can sing along and thats all that matters, its rock like Bon Jovi and Hoobastank, i think you went out too hard to convince yourself and other that this album/band sucks that you just forget to describe what exactly sucks, meaning lack of discreption

anyway those who like 3DD or Breaking Benjamin should give this a tryThis Message Edited On 06.06.07

Akira
June 7th 2007

Trapt is very weird for me. Generally, if I like a song by a band, I like most of what they do, usually that entire album. I am not the kind of person who just likes all the hit singles. But even though I really enjoyed Headstrong, I hated their first CD. Not a promising band, I am not going to get this release.

CasualListen
July 13th 2010

Lost Realist is Diarrhea?