Pelican
The Fire in Our Throats Will Beckon...

by Jorn van Schaïk USER (172 Reviews)
May 17th, 2007 | 23 replies

Release Date: 2005 | Tracklist

In metal, or actually in most musical genres, the vocals are usually a key factor in deciding whether you like a band or not. Even if the band plays the most crushing riffs, the most impeccable melodies, or the most emotional acoustic heartfelt ballads that make your tearducts suddenly work at two hundred percent speed, you've probably listened to a band that has any of the above elements and still falls flat because the singer sounds like a goose with its throat cut.

Now if you're clever, and you are a pretentious band to boot, you think "screw the vocals, we'll play instrumental!" That's what Pelican did on this offering. And they do it mighty fine too, at times. But there comes the keyword that describes this album. At times. Instrumental music requires skill and musicianship, and Pelican aren't lacking in that department. In fact, they create some beautiful tracks that crescendo and decrescendo, switch gears, switch gears some more, deliver enthralling melodies, and round it off with a perfect flow to boot. Pretentious, maybe, but the band can do it. If you're unsure, see the album opener Last Day of Winter, and you'll get what I mean.

But they also know how to be ridiculously boring at the same time. Red Ran Amber takes too long and is too uninteresting for the band's own good. I think it was an excellent idea to cut the song March Into The Sea for this release, because by the time you'd get by the end of it, chances are you've turned the cd player off and have gone fishing (maybe it's a good idea to take this with you for those sort of excursions, but that's beside the point.) In any case, what can be a blessing for some bands (In Flames, I'm talking to you) can be a curse for others. Pelican don't actually fall into either category as there are moments of both on here, but usually the first predominates.

What's good about this album however is that despite the boring moments (found mostly at the end of the album) it overall manages to convince in the atmosphere department. Pelican write instrumental songs, but not the virtuoso way with all the guitar solos and wanking going on. That isn't to say the band can't play their instruments. But they use them for an ulterior motive: to suck you into the album like light into a black hole. They pull it off better than most, that's for sure, and on say 70% of the album you will feel like they've put a spell on you, forcing you to sit down and rack your brain what musical twist is around the next riff corner.

The album falls short of being a classic however, thanks to the 30% that makes you yawn and look the other way. Pelican make good music, great even, the only thing they don't know is how to keep it up for the nigh sixty minutes that make up this record. If Pelican could come up with a way to be enthralling for the whole duration of their next release, they could be one of the best instrumental bands in the world. Now they're just a very good one.

Frank Turner Tape Deck HeartBrand New The Devil and God Are Raging Inside Me
Metallica MetallicaSlayer World Painted Blood
Katatonia Night Is the New DayRammstein Liebe Ist Für Alle Da
Karl V.H. (4.5)
Instrumental post-metal that reaches for breathtaking heights and ends up reaching for the stars....

asheroth (4.5)
Pelican's best album, [i]The Fire In Our Throats Will Beckon The Thaw[/i] combines heaviness and bea...

Dancin' Man (4.5)

Confessed2005
May 17th 2007

This was a pretty good review; nice and concise whilst remaining informative.

But I enjoy everything on this album; it doesn't bore me in the slightest.

Pelican are in a league of their own when it comes to instrumental music.

AlienEater

good album

May 17th 2007

Great review, awesome album.

kalkal50
May 17th 2007

never heard this, great review

Thor
May 17th 2007

This album is pretty good, but there certainly are some boring parts here and there. Oh, and the first half of the album is much better than the second.

Digging: Black Crown Initiate - The Wreckage of Stars

Two-Headed Boy

Such a good album.

freudianslipknot
May 17th 2007

This is such a great band. Your point is well made about Pelican escaping the trap of vocals wrecking otherwise good music. I don't find them at all boring though. Red Ran Amber is totally cool - I mean I named one of my Guild Wars characters after that song

DeadToPain
May 17th 2007

this album is great. i can see ow some people would get bored of it, but i certainly don't. the review was awesome, keep up the good work.

Meelk

dude pelican own
NEG NEG NEG

IsItLuck?

are you being serious?

May 24th 2007

Meelk, nobody on this whole page gave this album less than a 3, and 3 = good.

May 24th 2007

Someone should review their new album to talk about how boring it is.

IsItLuck?
May 24th 2007

stop talking like you meant 'someone' to be someone besides you.This Message Edited On 05.24.07

May 24th 2007

Hey now, that was an open invitation for someone else to do it while I'm writing my Given to the Rising review. Reviewing the new Pelican after reviewing that will not turn out well for them.

May 24th 2007

When did Given to the Rising come out?

April 22nd I believe.

edit: nevermind, apparently the release date has been pushed back. I've just been listening to the leak for months now, and I remember the original release date was in April.This Message Edited On 05.24.07

May 24th 2007

I should probably get around to listening to that soon, and by soon I mean now.

Wizard

19644 Comments

I picked this up because it was cheap and I love post metal. This album is good, but it pales next to Isis and Neurosis!

Digging: Ash Borer - Cold of Ages

Commortus
November 14th 2007

Vocals are, in my opinion, the least important component of a metal band's sound. I think that people trying to negatively review a metal album often point out the vocals as a major flaw because they have nothing else to say.
Not a comment on this review in particular, just a general observation.

Wizard

19644 Comments

Well said Commortus. Its more about the musicianship when it comes to metal.