Job for a Cowboy
Genesis

by Michael Roberts USER (99 Reviews)
May 15th, 2007 | 570 replies | 58,849 views

Release Date: 2007 | Tracklist

Review Summary: While still being heavy and brutal, Genesis shows both progression and maturity as it is a consistent in quality yet diverse sounding record.

Job For A Cowboy sure made a large impact on today’s metal scene in a short amount of time. Their brutal mix of metal, death metal, and metalcore is one that extends to a large audience of heavy music enthusiasts. A little thing called myspace also helped them go a long way. This along with an extensive touring schedule has gathered them loads of attention, fans, and praise. The fact that they are closing on 8 million plays online without even releasing a full length album should say something. This is a relatively young band with loads of talent and potential. Both traits show on their Metal Blade debut full length record. They deliver some crushing riffs, ear piercing vocals, frantic drums, some noticeable bass work, and add enhanced sounds of melody and atmosphere, all which shape up the excellence that is Genesis.

I’ll say it right now, I half expected the record to slowly begin with a ‘dramatic’ fade in, locking in an ambiance and coming off as slightly cheesy. I mean after all nothing screams a ‘great’ opening track for a debut record like this. I’m going to assume Job For A Cowboy knows that and it wasn’t just coincidence quite the opposite occurs. The record starts off with “Bearing The Serpent’s Lamb” which is an intense blend of down tuned riffing, rapid drumming, and brutal vocal work. It shows the group in the form that has made them the name they are today. They constantly switch up riffs to keep repetition from setting in, and the drum fills are incredibly tastefully placed. Vocalist Jonny Davy’s screams are brutal enough to make an ox shed a tear as he delivers a varied performance mainly consisting of lower growls, an occasional higher pitched scream, and the very sparing full out yell. The biggest surprise here is the evident bass line and brief fill about two thirds of the way through the song. Clearly the group is interested in separating themselves from their field. The heavy and slightly dark atmosphere is upon listeners without the record even being three minutes old.

A short and extremely effective drum fill opens “Reduced To Mere Filth” which is another fast pace, vicious and crushing tune. Rapid blast beats, constantly modified riffs, and passionately delivered vocals all arise once more. And once more bass is noticed; as much as I hate repeating points, you can actually hear bass two songs in a row in a death metal album! The first hint of a melody line comes out here, as a guitar lead marks a nice touch to the song. The band’s maturity is extremely obvious, as their sound is crisp, defined, and borderline unique. Things stay sharp as “Martyrdom Unsealed” keeps listener’s interests peaked with a noticeably slower tempo. Moderate double bass persists through the song setting in the leisurely (at least for the band) tempo and really adds to the atmosphere. Another slow melodic solo comes in, which really maximizes the ambiance once more showing diversity and maturity. Despite the tempo slowing down, quality stays unaffected as the track is still top notch and stands out as a new light for the group.

The real new light for the group comes during their two interludes that are present. Instead of using them at the beginning of the record like countless acts do, they blend them into the record. The result is absolutely spectacular as despite the record not really needing it the tracks help things from completely running together. Things are far from repetitive, and these tracks of further diversify Genesis. The first interlude “Upheaval” locks in an industrial-esque setting with its dark tone and distant effects. It builds a great deal of suspense, and leads absolutely perfectly into the first single “Embedded”. With thunderous double bass, some pummeling progressions and riffs, and more intense vocals, the track is a well worthy follower of the interlude. Its sustained chords followed by some brief dissonance riffing really add a dark feel to this track which is later juxtaposed phenomenally with a surprise burst of melody. There is a lot to be enjoyed courtesy of the first single.

They later on use a similar formula in terms of the break track, as “Blasphemy” features more faint clatters and brings out a mysterious tone once again. Things sound quite dramatic here as it leads into the slowest track on the record “The Devine Falsehood”. It features some drawn out chords and really goes for atmosphere over brutality here. While the vocal style is consistent, the song as a whole feels incredibly different. The guitar work is almost all chords and the drum work is extremely straightforward. While being at least listenable and something respectively different and experimental, the track begins to drag on and unquestionably looses its initial flare. Aside from standing out as unique, it draws attention to the closer “Coalescing Prophecy” in the sense that anticipation for a heavy track is at a peak. The ending track goes through a respectable amount of tempo and mood changes, really capturing the album as a whole. It has a very strong blend of riffing and brutality but also clutches onto some more atmospheric and melodic traits. In terms of songwriting this could very well represent the peak of the album as it successfully combines so many elements and styles. The frantic paced drum fills and urgency filled screams atop of a chug palm mute patterned riff all mark a remarkable outro for an incredible debut full length.

Expectations as well as anticipation both were extremely high for Job For A Cowboy’s debut album. The group delivers a wonderful performance which is guaranteed to leave previous fans satisfied and most certainly draw in new ones. Maturity and progression are shown all over the record. Gone are the more evident breakdowns and in their place are more subtle ones. Guitar work picks up where it left off, as riffs are constantly switching. The melody lines bring in a whole new feel to certain songs as the interlude tracks do the same for the record as a whole. Bass plays a respective roll in certain tracks as it is not completely hidden. Vocals are unbelievably more polished and defined. Overall, Genesis shines as a record that can dish out brutality, atmosphere, and melody all in successful fashion. While the main focus is brutality, they do not hesitate to incorporate the other elements in and do so remarkably well. Genesis is consistent in quality yet diverse in sound and is sure to take Job For A Cowboy to new heights.

Final Rating: 3.5/5

Dead By Sunrise Out of AshesLoveHateHero America Underwater
All Time Low Nothing PersonalSilverstein A Shipwreck in the Sand
Sing It Loud Come AroundA Skylit Drive Wires...and the Concept of Breathing
2.8
good
SmartWentCody (4.5)
From Deathcore to Death Metal. Job For A Cowboy have produced an album that will rip your face off a...

Subrick (4.5)
Job for a Cowboy's first full length album is a rather good album of modern death metal. Despite it'...

Aaron (3)
Not bad, not bad......

Nate B. (2.5)
On their full-length debut, Job for a Cowboy brings us a somewhat technical, somewhat brutal album t...

Abaddon2005
May 15th 2007

Great review, I wouldn't have imagined you digging a band like this. Though the Doom EP was a little overhyped, I liked it enough to want to check this out.

Confessed2005
May 15th 2007

I have listened to this a few times.

It is very impressive IMO.

jrowa001
May 15th 2007

yeah excellent review, this album is pretty good so far. i see it as being a grower for me

May 15th 2007

Yay, thank you for reviewing this. I liked Doom but then I kinda slipped away from it. Gonna check this out definately

Slaapkamers

DEATHCORE FOREVER

yup this stuff is great

from what I've heard so far, this album is definately worth the rating you gave it (4)

Slaapkamers
May 15th 2007

nah actually, it's pretty bad. even for JFAC this is bad.

dang you beat me to reviewing this. This Message Edited On 08.07.07

May 15th 2007

And great review, by the way.

May 15th 2007

Best song by far is "The Devine Falsehood"

May 15th 2007

after you've listened to it all the first time it does sound a bit too generic, and i agree with hottie "The devine falsehood" is way the best song

SynGates
May 15th 2007

Sounds promising, I will probably check this out. Good review.

May 15th 2007

This was a disappointment just like the previous Ep.

May 15th 2007

after you've listened to it all the first time it does sound a bit too generic
I think a few songs are a bit generic.This Message Edited On 08.07.07

May 15th 2007

JFAC are not death metal though. At all.

May 15th 2007

You don't think so? Well, I Suppose "Deathcore" if such a thing exists, but they stray more towards the Death aspect than the Metalcore aspect IMHO.

May 15th 2007

I don't think so. They don't meet a lot of traditional death metal standards. IMO the
music is generic and boring as hell not to mention extremly unoriginal and although
they are talented musicians they can't structure their songs very well at all. They fail at
atempting decent death metal and fall under the category of deathcore because it
sounds basically like a genereic metalcore band trying to be too brutal for their own
good.This Message Edited On 05.15.07

May 15th 2007

I can see where your coming from , but i think alot of that is opinion based, not really soley facts. To an Unbias listener, i.e. not me or you, I think they they most likely would call this a Death Metal record with some Metalcore infulences, seeing as breakdowns are not predominantly featured and the almost constant blast beats amount to DM.

May 15th 2007

I wouldn't say so, considering half of my friends listen to death and when I played Job For A Cowboy when we were expecting some good death metal we all were shocked to hear it. None of thought it was death on the first listen.

It's not my cup of tea all around.

May 15th 2007

i'm sorry but job for a cowboy are incredibly homo

good review though!