Melechesh
Emissaries

by Justus USER (33 Reviews)
May 13th, 2007 | 42 replies | 11,549 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Melechesh – Emissaries

Emissaries - an agent sent on a mission of a secret nature, as a spy.
-Dictionary.com

Emissaries isn’t really aptly titled for Melecheshs’ 4th album, but that doesn’t take away from the album. After all, it’s just a title, right? But while the definition of emissaries is soft, sneaky, and/or secretive, this is a fast, firey, in-your-face type of album. Abstract time signatures and tempos on some riffs (like ‘Double Helixed Sceptre’) to the oriental-esque acoustic (‘The Scribes Of Kur’), Emissaries has just about everything covered with this album. While the album doesn’t necessarily present any Earth shattering, bone breaking, or extreme progress, there is certainly some exceptional songs on here. ‘Rebirth Of The Nemesis’, while a bit lengthy, is just a taste of what’s to come.

The Good, The Bad, And The Mediocre

The guitar has sweet riffs all around the album, and the acoustic piece, ‘The Scribes Of Kur’, helps with variety. But the guitar department is dragged down because there is barley any palm muting. While some of you might not see anything wrong with this, just imagine a treble heavy guitar tone, tremolo picked, swept, whatever, all along the high E, B, and G strings, all along the album. While ‘Leper Jerusalem’ provides an oasis, as well as some other parts on some other songs, it doesn’t make up for the first flaw, witch is: not enough palm muting or deep staccatos with a whiny, treble–heavy tone. The album also has solos, which are sometimes short (‘Touching The Spheres Of Sephiroth’), but they still prevail, and I find nothing wrong with Ashmedi and Moloch’s solos.
The drums are incredible, everything’s not a blast-beat, like some albums (In Sorte Diaboli), and everythings not all slow. I find that Xul is a very talented drummer, while no Martin Lopez, he can stll provide crushing speed (‘Sand Grain Universe’) and have enough sense to make equillibrium on technicality. Nothing upsetting about the drums, so now we move on"to the bass. While audible sometimes, theres not much to say about it, it can shine for a very limited time (‘Gyroscope’), but overall, you can’t expect much from a bass with a Black Metal band, can you?

We now venture to the vocals. Personally, I don’t hate them, but I cannot sit through this entire album with Ashmedis vocal style. It’s like a Black Metal, high pitched Atreyu at times, but not as bad. He seems to spit out words and curdle them, making them throaty and just unlistanable. He has his spots though, like on ‘Rebirth of the Nemesis’, he can prove to be a vocalist who can push you far, far away and suck you right back in to liking him again. Mabey some lessons, or something, and I may be able to accept Ashmedi. For now, though, the vocals are neither abyss-ly bad or soaring good, they are just, plain and simple, mediocre. Production is, without a doubt, flawless. Nothing is overpowering anything, everything comes in like sunlight through a clear window. The kick drum sound (witch is very important to me) is incredible, I really like what the producer (unkown at this time) did with the album.

As for the lyrics, they are very descriptive, and as with most Melecheshs’ subjects, deal with occult themes. Take this from ‘Ladders To Sumeria’…

As the prime echelon of cenobites - they unite
Construct the Ziggurats - for the divine

The secret sky ports
The Towers of fire
Under wormholes
Vessels of Enki soar

The Ladders to Sumeria

On the grand white temple of Uruk
Lie the zenith mark... Ascension

To leave these terrestrial plains
The seven titans, they commune
Kochab of the Annunaki, it awaits
12th entity of our solar dominion

…so overall, a nice, impressive album for the Mesotopian Metal band Melechesh, leaves you wondering what will happen next, but in the meantime, you keep coming back and back for another listen.

Pros and Cons

+ Riffs and solos are inspired and creative
+ Superb drumming
+ Production is flawless, couldn’t be better

- Ashmedis vocals

Aerosols AerosolsDiscordance Axis Jouhou
Wood And Wires Wood And WiresDiscordance Axis The Inalienable Dreamless
Blackwater Park Dirt BoxWurdulak Severed Eyes Of Possession

May 13th 2007

Emissaries has everything a Dimmu Borgir fan could like.

What the fuck?This Message Edited On 05.13.07

May 13th 2007

I mean that fans of Dimmu could like this album.

plane
May 13th 2007

I'm pretty sure he got that. I'm also pretty sure he's saying that's false.This Message Edited On 05.13.07

May 13th 2007

What does that have to do with anything, though? Melechesh are a Black/Thrash band and Dimmu Borgir is a Symphonic Metal band.

May 13th 2007

I meant that the guitar style and drumming are similar to that of Dimmus style.

May 13th 2007

I guess...I haven't heard this album, I probably won't since without Proscriptor drumming it's pretty much got nothing that interests me.

May 13th 2007

It's an alright album, though the highlight is Rebirth of the Nemesis. That's the whole album right there :p

Dethtrasher
May 14th 2007

I might check this out, I want to know how eastern metal sounds like.

Zoo
November 15th 2007

[quote=Dethtrasher]I want to know how eastern metal sounds like.[/quote]
It's fucking beautiful. I love this album. One of my all time favorites.

LostViking
January 8th 2008

I bought this album in November of 2006. Every where I go on-line, has this as being released in 2007? Anyway, it's all about the riffs, man. And the drummer is phenominal!!

Foodforthegods
March 6th 2008

Great album. I love the eastern exotic sound.

Hawks
April 24th 2008

This album was pretty good, but it wasnt anything special like i thought it would be.

Digging: Manners - Pale Blue Light

Dethtrasher
May 9th 2008

Siiiiiick album!

October 15th 2008

Somebody really needs to add the cover art. What the fuck?

November 14th 2008

need to rewrite this. badly.

May 24th 2009

Undiluted ownage.

mothergoose
June 17th 2009

Ladders to Sumeria is intense. His vocals are good on that track imo.

Powerban
November 24th 2009

Love this album. Need a new one already.

Egarran
November 28th 2009

This is good, but Sphynx is way better.

Zoo
November 28th 2009

This and Sphynx are just about equal in terms of quality for me.