MF DOOM
MM.. Food

by Thomas Bambaataa Ghidrah Towers USER (67 Reviews)
March 28th, 2007 | 294 replies | 29,536 views

Release Date: 2004 | Tracklist

Review Summary: Tastiness from Daniel Dumile's second release under MF DOOM.

Superheroes are so boring. What are they even good for? Sure, they may save a couple of lives from a giant flying squid that shoots fire from its eyes, prevent a few gang rapes in dark alleys, but what fun is the world without any naughtiness? All they do is ruin the good times. Wouldn’t it be awesome to see a death ray destroy Europe, or an army of robot vampires enslave us? If it were up to that prude Superman, we’d all be a bunch of Amish people living dull, “innocent” lives. Evil is the spice of life, from kindergarteners throwing mud at old people, to crystal meth labs, and Daniel Dumile clearly knows that, adopting a persona that’s the biggest super villain of all, MF DOOM. He originally emerged on the scene as Zev Lov X of the heat seeking group KMD in the early 90s, but after the shelving of their second album and the death of his DJ and brother Subroc, Dumile fell off the scene, becoming homeless for many years. Years later, a metal-masked emcee emerges, and it’s Dumile behind the disguise, hiding his “scars” that the industry left on him. With such a morbid history and a supposedly evil persona, the amount of entertaining weirdness surrounding him comes as a surprise at first. Or maybe it sounds so ridiculous that it’s not surprising at all. What’s DOOM’s latest evil mischief? Making an album about food, oh the humanity!

Preceding MM.. Food were high concept albums consisting of things like a three-headed monster rapping and shadowy city tales, this is the closest Doom has gotten to a “casual” album in a long time. He’s much more down-to-earth here, melding various everyday philosophies, stories, and lessons of life with food allusions and metaphors to varying degrees of coherence, such as Deep Fried Frenz, Doom’s rant about the fakeness and downside of friends, like how everyone loves having deep fried food, even though it’ll guarantee a triple bypass in the future, he shows how both have similar up and down sides. Kookies takes a blunter path in literality, the cookies simply being “ass nekkid females”, and coherence dies away as he uses cookie brands to express himself; “now it gets very serious like Peek Freans”. The absurdity of it matched with Doom’s deadpan delivery makes it as entertaining as something that did make sense, like if the Aqua Teen Hunger Force spat rhymes. Despite assuming a havoc wreaking persona, Doom’s flow is aloof, almost to the point where sarcasm sometimes can’t even be detected. His rhymes have an eccentric sloppiness reminiscent to Kool Keith, sometimes cramming twice as many words into a line as the last like, vastly littering obscure and nonsensical references within his verses. His erratic switching between third and first person add to the peculiarity of his storytelling, the unconventionality of his techniques making him a divisive figure among many hip hop fans.

While his voice has become less emotive and more like a continuous soulful slur since his first solo album, Operation Doomsday, released five years before this (everything in between has been under other aliases or as collaborations,) his production has become more diverse and upfront. He mixes glossy keyboards with pungent bass, loopy guitar lines with steady percussive to counteract the bounciness of his samples, including music from Sesame Street. Hoe Cakes is one of his most distinctively “Doom” beats, based on a funky rhythm with what sounds like lip-smacking noises instead of drums, under a lustrous piano cushioned by symphonic strings, the mixture of funkiness and suaveness perfectly hugging cheeky Doom’s rap about keeping hoes in check. Metal Fingers’ love of jazz inflicts a laid back mood to some of the tracks, Kon Karne featuring a noodling piano line accompanying a hollow rhythm as Doom remembers his days as a homeless alcoholic and his late brother DJ Subroc.

Like Operation: Doomsday, MM.. Food is weighed down by the amount of skits on the album. The middle section of the album is essentially a collage of spoken samples ranging from someone rambling about food to sound bites from the Fantastic Four show (which included Dr. Doom, where Dumile based his character from,) over half-baked beats, adding more skit baggage already included at the beginning and end of many songs. Though the album still flows with some success with these skits, there’s too much of it compared to how many actual songs there are, whereas Operation: Doomsday had more actual songs to fight the plague of skits. His collaboration album with producer Madlib, Madvillainy, showed how concise and easy flowing Doom can get, the songs being considerably shorter, making this look even more unwieldy. But since Madlib isn’t on here to keep it strictly to business, another Madvillainy wasn’t expected anyway. The help Doom does get is well used, the deep voiced Mr. Fantastik on the infectiously catchy Rapp Snitch Knishes balances Doom’s raspy voice perfectly. Some of the best lyrics on the album aren’t even by MF Doom... or by a man! Angelika poetically takes the point of view of a hopeless woman in a failed relationship on the R&B tinged Guinesses, featuring no rhyming from Doom himself. And I thought women were only good for making food for their superior counterpart. Ironically, I also realized male rappers can be good at cooking up sweets.

Pharoahe Monch DesireEl-P I'll Sleep When You're Dead
Jaylib Champion SoundRZA Afro Samurai Soundtrack
Eloy InsideGhostface Killah More Fish
ronburgandy (4.5)
We shall now vote for a new world leader, I nominate... DOOM!...

The Jungler
March 28th 2007

I've been meaning to pick this up for a while now. MF DOOM rules, he's one of my favorite emcees.
Good review.

Iluvatar
March 28th 2007

MF DOOM is a terrible emcee, great production though. Not as good as Operation Doomsday, although better than most of the other stuff he's been involved in.

Digging: Trophy Scars - Holy Vacants

Two-Headed Boy
March 28th 2007

Get outta here, this guy's a slick MC.

In other news, your review is quite great.

pulseczar
March 28th 2007

I didn't like his style at first, but it grew on me. probably wouldn't have grown at all though if he didn't have cool production.

sgrevs
March 28th 2007

Great review, great album. Not as good as Operation Doomsday, but good nonetheless.

JohnXDoesn't
March 29th 2007

i like this review i'm going to cue this thing up...

Kyle
March 29th 2007

I kinda like this and Operation Doomsday in equal amounts. Both are shit hot though.

smokersdieyounger
March 29th 2007

I have this, but Ive listened a few times, since my record player is under loads of shit

LF96
March 29th 2007

I actually like this a bit better than Operation: Doomsday. The production is less basic sounding on here, I think. Still, both albums are great. You're right on the skits, they really do bring the pace of the album down.

The Jungler
August 8th 2007

Album is good but really hurt by all the skits/fantastic four samples.
Potholderz owns.

Two-Headed Boy
August 22nd 2007

Ha, I love the Fantastic Four samples.

velocirhapsody
September 17th 2007

how can you like DOOM and not FF samples?

i know it borders on sacrilege, but i actually like this more than DOOMSDAY. all of MF's stuff is genuine though.

bigfave
November 27th 2007

MF is a really slick talking guy over some smooth mellow beats. He's also kinda "damn I'm nice" over the more pumped beats.

Big Baby Jesus
April 14th 2008

One of the best Intros I've read. I totally agree. MF DOOM is one of those people I kept saying i'd listen to, but never got around to (I listened to Dangerdoom, and wasn't that impressed). In the past few days, I decided to finally listen to him. And the hype is very justified. Awesome album, Person, and Persona. He's not better than Kool Keith, but no living rapper can say that IMO.

kattunlover69
May 11th 2008

how the heck does this get 5 out of 5 well written??

IsItLuck?
May 11th 2008

he edited his review/who knows what in the past month/year or so.

May 11th 2008

all his reviews are like that

i love him

ilikemusicthatsucks
May 11th 2008

Best reviewer on sputnik.

IsItLuck?