Three Days Grace
One-X

by atalackofwrds USER (7 Reviews)
February 22nd, 2007 | 96 replies | 35,856 views

Release Date: 2006 | Tracklist

Review Summary: 3DG follow up their platinum selling first album with a more mature hard hitting second album.

In this day in age when rock bands seem to be coming and going almost as often as we catch Britney Spears doing something hilariously embarrassing (shaving her head, claims of being a lesbian, going commando, checking into rehab two times for a total of two days...marrying K-Fed, the list goes on) one band seems to be a step ahead of the rest, and that band is Three Days Grace. Although One-X is only the bands second major label release, they seem to have a grip on how to make some great hard rock songs without watering their sound down.

Three Days Grace is…
Adam Gontier - Lead Vocals, Guitar
Neil Sanderson - Drums
Brad Walst - Bass, Backing Vocals
Barry Stock - Lead Guitar

One-X follows the same blueprint as Three Days Grace’s debut album: dark brooding vocals, a blend of heavily distorted and acoustic guitars, and simple drum and bass riffs. In all honesty, many of these songs could have very well been on their debut album, the song structures and overall sounds are truly that similar.

This is not to say however that the album is bad or even mildly boring, it’s actually very well put together. Quite a few things have improved over the last album; the vocals, as well as Adam’s voice have matured, and the riffs are more hard hitting throughout the album. The production value of this album is also a step above where their debut was; the volume on the guitars was turned slightly up, and the bass is audible on all tracks.

And now for what you guys really want to know…how are the songs? From the time the album starts to the time it ends there is an eminent dark sound that is present in every song, while still avoiding the metal and emo genres, even though One-X does have its share of hard hitters. The first single off the album, “Animal I Have Become”, is one of the heavier tracks on the album with its heavily distorted sound and dark lyrics. “Riot” and “Get Out Alive” are also some of the more brooding tracks on the album, with their moderately paced guitar riffs and heavy low end. As for the ballad of the album…wait there really is no ballad on the album. Songs like “Let it Die” and the title track “One-X”, and a little bit lighter than the rest of the album, but still have hard hitting chorus and bridge riffs. If anything is wrong with this album, it’s the fact that it doesn’t have a true ballad, but then again what’s wrong with 12 tracks of hard hitting, in you face rock anyway?

Adam’s voice has matured and his lyrics have come to fruition. The guitar riffs are a bit mediocre at times, but for the most part they tend to keep the pace of the album up. The bass is the only thing that truly bothers me on this album. They are simple and don’t really add much to the songs other than “Animal I Have Become” and “Get Out Alive”. Although I realize 3DG have never been the most technical of bands, the bass lines could have been a little bit better. The drums are also fairly simple, but they seem to do what it is best for the song as a whole as opposed to sneaking in a fill ever now and then. Overall the musicianship is slightly better, but no huge jump in talent or creativity.

Recommended Tracks:

- One-X - 10

Positives:
- Lyrics
- Great Use of Acoustic Guitars
- Very tight and synchronized playing throughout

Negatives:
- Some people may not like the dark sound
- Bass Lines
- No Solos…but they’re not really a “soloing band”

Overall: Thumbs Up

Black Label Society MafiaMetallica Metallica
Children of Bodom HatebreederDragonForce Inhuman Rampage
Metallica Master of PuppetsLamb of God Sacrament
3.3

February 22nd 2007

your review descirbes the band well enough

their songs arent really technical, that true and not really original^^

quote:
Negatives:
- Some people may not like the dark sound

well in my opinion they arent 'dark'. i'd say a little serious, but all in all much like 'sotry of the year' or 'trapt'

anyway, nice album quite amusig if one wants to listen to easy going songs^^

Tyler
February 22nd 2007

This band sucks, I'm sorry. It's just generic post-grunge.

trustxdialect
February 22nd 2007

What Cocaine said. Fine review, but they're horrible. I saw them live, blech.

February 22nd 2007

how come you saw them live, though you dislike them,

no offense meant (people here get offended too fast)
just out of curiosity

'It's just generic post-grunge. '

it pretty much is, but with a slight diffrent approach, not another nickelback spinoff

Electric City
February 22nd 2007

"Pain" is generic angst pop, I can't take it. This review doesn't describe the cd too much.

Digging: Nmesh - Dream Sequins [AMDISCS]

trustxdialect
February 22nd 2007

A) Edgefest. Numerous bands there, and they happened to be one of them. Wasn't my fault.

B) So they're not some Nickelback spinoff. That doesn't make what they're doing any better.

Jom
February 22nd 2007

This is a step-up from their first album, but that's not really saying much.

February 22nd 2007

edgefest, gonna look it up, here in germany we only have three large rockfest -_-

it does make them better in my opinion, but that is matter of taste i think

tom79
February 22nd 2007

A contender with Simple Plan and Hedley for worst Canadian band. I can't see how lyrics are a pro on this.

Digging: Bent Outta Shape - Stray Dog Town

Otisbum

1912 Comments

Pain / Riot are easily the best songs off of this.

3DG didn't necessarily do much better with this than their debut, but at least they didn't follow the sophomore slump trend.This Message Edited On 02.22.07

atalackofwrds
February 23rd 2007

Thanks for the comments guys, sorry bout the so-so review though..its my first one in over 4 or 5 months..

rmgebhardt
February 23rd 2007

I've had bowel movements that have sounded more interesting than this.

DeYankees1
January 16th 2008

This was a great Album I enjoyed the whole thing.

skullcrusher149
January 26th 2008

i seriously hate this band with a passion.
only good songs they ever recorded were "I hate..."
and "Home"

Poet
January 26th 2008

I actually like Animal I Have Become...and that's about it for the good songs.

MediocreAtBest
January 26th 2008

What I've heard from this isn't too good. Not horrible, though.

Zizzer
January 26th 2008

This isn't my favorite or anything, but it's still pretty good I think. My favorite is Riot.

ericcore7
February 14th 2008

2 words.
fuckin horrible.

soooooo overrated and just straight up AWEFUL.
sounds just like every other band.

kym
February 18th 2008

I like this cd. Its easy to listen to

ninjuice
February 18th 2008

it's definitely better than the debut, but that album was terrible. it's pretty boring besides the singles.